MarkKO's Training Log

I talk too much :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Let me know which ones and I’ll explain as best I can. The pro part is flattering, but inaccurate. I’m not good yet. I’m no longer shit, but I still suck. That will change over time.

Something about today bugged me. I think it’s missing that third rep on my last set and then only hitting five on my first set of squats.

I need to remember that a double at 528 lbs isn’t bad by my standards, even in briefs and sumo. I think I was just expecting more, and definitely not expecting to fail where I fail raw. The squats are a different matter. I did the right thing calling the first set, and did the right thing chancing the second and third. They were work, but they have been every week so far.

Hungry AF from end of training onwards. I’ll be filled with veggies later to help with that.

Note to self: eaten somewhere between two and four pounds of veggies today. Food was actually pretty good: chicken thigh and rice lunch and dinner (chicken was eyeballed both meals and rice for lunch, but I doubt I made too large an error anywhere), rice crackers and peanut butter for snacks. Breakfast as usual.

I’m gradually not relaxing how I eat as such, but I’m moving away from the mentality of deficit. We shall see how it pans out. Be interesting to see how I look tomorrow.

Edit: I put that badly. I’m adjusting how I eat to steady my body composition. It’s kind of nerve wracking, because if I do it wrong I lose progress.

1 Like

Woke at 192 lbs, but looking better than yesterday. In fact, looking what I consider normal. Like I said yesterday, vegetable weight.

1 Like

Well is that you in your pic? Cause you look pretty muscular.

As for terms, from your last post, here are the ones I didn’t know:

It is I, and thank you. In flattering lighting and quite dehydrated, though. There’s a recent entry on here with what I look like now.

OK, terms

Sumo DL: sumo deadlift (wide stance, hands inside your legs. It’s a much more hip/glute/quad variation than conventional and also more technical and the groove is very different)

Stiff bar: what it says - a barbell that doesn’t whip much at all. That makes it less forgiving of position and tightness errors when deadlifting.

Briefs: supportive briefs made of very tough polyester or other fabric that protect your hips and give some help in squats and deadlifts.

DL: DeadLift

TM: Training Max, a purposely selected weight from which your working percentages are calculated. Also known as an EDM (Estimated Daily Max) as it is a load you know you can hit for between three and five clean reps at any time. Usually between 80 and 90 per cent of your max, but not always.

RPE: Rating of Perceived Exertion, a way of rating a set. I use it along the lines of 9 RPE=I could have done another rep, 8 RPE=I could have done two, etc with 10 RPE meaning I could do no more reps.

Raw: no supportive equipment (briefs, squat or deadlift suits or bench shirts). Wraps, belt, sleeves etc are generally considered raw although some federations mandate sleeves or bare knees for squats.

SSB: Safety Squat Bar, also known as a yoke bar (because it has a yoke to sit it on your shoulders) or Hatfield bar. Often cambered so the weights sit in front of you when the bar is on your back. Very good of your shoulders or elbows are messed up and straight bar squats hurt. Also very good to strengthen your back.

2 Likes

Needed to blow off some steam today. Not sure why, but did something I usually advise against because of it: went in simply to do something.

I figured I’d do some kind of carry, because I generally don’t them. Specifically, trap bar carries. Decided to use my TM for DL. Except, the room with the space to do carries was filled with yogis. So I had to kick my heels for a bit.

Today’s training

Incline treadmill walk, 15 minutes at 15 degrees/6 km/hr - got through it, but definitely harder

Lazy lifyer

Yoga still going, so decided to warm up for carries with rack pulls starting an inch or so below the knee from 132 lbs to 396 lbs, beltless, in mostly threes to fives. Double overhand to 352 lbs for a single double overhand and then a single hookgrip. Used straps for a triple at 396 lbs. These felt really, really good. I’m going to keep these in mind and possibly use them as a main DL variation down the track. I’d need to drop them another inch though.

Trap bar carries at 440 lbs for 20 metres (10 metres, turn, go back). Started at quarter to the hour, so decided to go for 15 minutes and see how many rounds I could do. Got a total of seven: first three without straps, four and five with straps, six without and seven with. All beltless. Fun.

Knew that was enough even though I felt pretty invincible by this point. Couldn’t resist a couple of box jumps though:

1x76 cm
1x93 cm

6 Likes

Awwww!! Love her! :heart_eyes::kissing_heart:

1 Like

Very impressive strength, 240 kg in deadlift in as last round of DL … respect.

2 Likes

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

And wow, ok, thanks for the terms. I guess raw isn’t normal? lol. I think I do all my exercises raw. Probably why I’ve been hurting my back recently.

1 Like

you wish

5 Likes

Woke at 190.5 lbs, looking the same as yestetday. Traps are talking to me today.

1 Like

It’s just a powerlifting term. Outside of PL it doesn’t really have any meaning.

2 Likes

Oh, kk.

1 Like

Today’s training:

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

CGBP, squat bar

TM is 220 lbs

Work up from bar in 22 lbs x3-5 to 60%, 20 pull aparts between sets

3x154 lbs, under 6 RPE
3x176 lbs, 6 RPE
1x198 lbs, 6 RPE
6x220 lbs, 10 RPE - that’s my goal for the day, although behind what I’d wanted for the cycle. I’ll still go to 225 lbs, but keep pushing to go past today’s reps
3x8x154 lbs, under 6, 6 and 8 RPE

Dips, bodyweight only with slow eccentric
3x10, second two sets rest/pause with the second one absolutely brutal

DB rows
10x60 lbs, 10x90 lbs, 3x10x120 lbs

Surprised but pleased my grip held up. Palms sore AF from yesterday though.

Pull-up ladders, varying grips
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

It was cool to be able to use pull-ups for actual work. Wore cuffs, but elbows behaved fine although they did voice a strong opinion on the last rep which was wide grip and I tried to pause at the top.

Bis/tris superset
Hammer curls 3x15x25 lbs
PJR pullovers 3x12x45 lbs - more reps, happy

Calves
DC seated raises 15x100 lbs - go up to 110 lbs next week
Standing raises dropset 30x300 lbs, 17x200 lbs, 13x100 lbs

7 Likes

For funsies did a quick video of posing, mostly to see how different I look with a few extra pounds on since end of July. Apparently no different at all. Win. Haven’t figured out how to take stills out of my videos yet, and also got frustrated moving stuff on my phone and deleted this week’s training videos.

Screenshot your phone as per usual whilst on the video.

1 Like

Note to self: probably a mistake to add peanut butter to the spinach and beef stew I made. Delicious, yes. But extra calories. Bugger. I didn’t think that through. I added two tablespoons to the whole stew and ate around half so I’m saying it’s an extra tablespoon.

I’m being precious though, because it puts me AT MOST 100 calories over today.

4 Likes

100 cals? For shame!

1 Like