MarkKO's Training Log

Plus in Canberra we get real winter, most mornings it’s at or below zero. Not super cold, but cold enough to notice.

3 Likes

Sounds like here, except probably a tad warmer than here. Most mornings are like 18-22F (like -5-6C?)

Pretty much. Well get a few nights below -5, but not many. Gets foggy AF in the mornings too.

Found a way to make green tea taste nice: add BCAA flavouring. Granted, it now tastes like hot BCAA flavouring with a tiny hint of green tea, but from where I sit that’s a marked improvement.

1 Like

Hi Mark
Hi to all your followers (Is that the prober word?)
I’ve been lurking on your log Mark, thanks that’s a great log. Been following you for the past 6-7 months or so.
Had to sign in on T-nation to make my 2 cents on you being drained.

I am no where near you, strength wise. I’m 53 years of age. Doing my wendler rutine on and off.
When you started training maximally I thought why the hell not, but did it a bit different worked to my TM for 1 then PR set on the respektive week, dit that for about 1,5 cycle.
Kind of lost all my strenght especially on pressing.

So what I’m trying to say: maybe just maybe you are digging to deep when you are going balls out on TM everyday, and your body says: “Hey Bro, I cant keep up”

Cheers Mark and good luck with your meet. Really really enyoing your log and your progress is awesome.

@mortdk thank you! I’m glad you’ve been enjoying it.

I get what you’re saying, except my strength has been picking up recently as opposed to going down - which is what led me to suspect that the drained feeling was not training or diet related. Generally, whenever I push the lifts too hard I end up not being able to move them, period. My body steps in and stops me being stupid by refusing to cooperate (especially on deadlifts).

What’s thrown me a curve ball is feeling fairly bad while being able to perform in the gym. Normally those aren’t two things that coincide, which is why I decided I needed to get checked out. It seems like I can switch on long enough to train effectively, which is great; then I finish, and within an hour feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. Next day, I can get up, feel like garbage, fuel up and go in and do it again and it all rolls around again.

Today it all happened a little faster and I called it early because I’d done all the really important stuff this week so there was no sense in pushing through just to say I did the planned work. This way I’ll be fine to train next week, rest the week after and then compete.

Again, thanks for the visit and taking the time to weigh in.

1 Like

Puh-leeeeaaaaasseeeee trade seasons with meeeeee lol. It’s not even 8 in the morning, and it’s already 85+ degrees, with a humidity of 87 freaking percent.

2 Likes

So, green tea has a negative effect on testosterone levels.

I doubt it’s significant, but, pre-meet, if you’re looking for every edge, you might consider cutting back on it.

I figured 181, should be a totally easy cut for you with the 24 hour weigh in.

1 Like

One of the chiropractors I visited while treating my back/hip issue suggested I take magnesium. I read up on it and it helps muscles relax. Occasionally our body stays too tense. I followed her advice but the dosing protocol was vague. She told me to start with half a teaspoon and work up from there. Once I got to a point that I had too much, then back off a bit and stick with that dose. I asked her how I’d know what was too much and she said “You’ll know.” Magnesium is given to patients who need to clear out their digestive system before an operation as well. Short story long, take a bit too much and you’ll hit the toilet two or three times soon after. That ought to be good for some weight loss!

2 Likes

laughs in Finnish

10 Likes

I’ll pass. I don’t mind a slight nip in the air. Humidity, however, I object to.

1 Like

I did not know that. A couple of days out I might drop it, I don’t like it that much but it’s meant to help with fat loss.

I’ll keep that in mind as a last resort. Hopefully I can just sweat it out.

I’m guessing anything over -15 or so is pleasantly warm…

1 Like

Woke at 187.7 lbs, looking what I now view as normal. So far, so good. Slept pretty well, albeit thanks to some assistance, but I could definitely keep sleeping.

On another positive note, looking forward to squatting on Monday. That’s usually a good sign.

This. We are suffering. I had to cut my walk with my German Shepherd short today and buy him water (that bad) so he wouldn’t have a heat stroke.

2 Likes

Right. So far, I don’t feel as exhausted as yesterday, which is nice. I do get a noticeable headrush any time I get up, and I have a weird sort of tingly feeling at the back of my skull and behind my eyes that’s been on and off for a couple of weeks now - incidentally since I started this run of feeling drained, in fact.

So, yeah, something is definitely funky.

I’m EXTREMELY hesitant to blame diet as if anything I’ve been less strict in this timeframe. Yes, I’ve been hungry, but nothing out of the ordinary. I’m also hesitant to blame training, as on the one hand I’ve seen pretty consistent small improvements and on the other hand had no marked crashes on days following hard sessions. So in neither case is there any evidence I can see to suggest that I’ve pushed it too hard - not to mention I have begun to get a good feel for Training Maximally and there are plenty of days I have backed off and avoided jokers in favour of multiple TM singles or even left it at a TM single simply because I knew there was no point in pushing for pushing’s sake.

So that’s two main physical contributors that seem to be in the clear.

Moving to the mental side, I’m in a pretty good mental place as far as I can tell. My depression flare up markers (anger, especially at family and not wanting to go to work) have been largely absent. I’ve taken time off work in the last two or three weeks, yes, simply because I felt physically incapable of getting through a shift because of how exhausted and drained I was. The week before last I went to get a medical certificate for the day and was offered one for two days - I said no - at which point I was told to come back the next day and they’d alter the note if I needed. That has never happened to me before. I came back the next day, and they said they’d been expecting me because of how sick I looked the day before.

Now, absolutely, I could get called out for training when I’m apparently too crook to work. I get it. Except, I know I can get through training because it’s a couple of hours plus if necessary, I can bail on the spot. Work is eight hours, and if I bail it’s a whole procedure covering my line.

It looks like the three usual suspects are in the clear, so hopefully the bloods and urinalysis will tell me something.

Main consolation is that I can function, and I can train productively. Having a light week either side of the meet can only help right now.

5 Likes

At work

Bodyweight calf raises

1x100 toes neutral, heels never touching ground squeeze at top

4x25/leg

Later

1x75 toes neutral, hard squeeze at top
1x75 to 100 (lost count) toes out, hard squeeze at top

1 Like

Woke at 185.9 lbs, looking pretty good. So far, so much in the right direction. Looked bloated and soft AF at bedtime last night then this morning everything seems as it should be.

2 Likes

Woke at 184.6 lbs, so more good news.

Didn’t do the usual calf raises yesterday, instead played with long squeezes and slow eccentrics. Didn’t count too well, but did somewhere between 75 and 100 in total.

2 Likes