MarkKO's Training Log

Being at 2500 cal was fine once I adjusted, which took a couple of weeks. Different story at 2300 cal, that flat out sucked from start to finish. I was almost constantly hungry and drained and often bot dizzy when standing up.

Now I’m way better, even at 2400 cal. I think because I was fat for so long (30 years is a long time, really) my metabolism isn’t yet too fast, although it’s picked up a ton this last year. When you consider that 2400 cal is pretty much smack bang in the middle of my maintenance window for my LBM it isn’t surprising.

That was my thought. My question with the heavy movements is what percentage for the reps. I’m thinking I’d use a mid range TM, and then go according to Prilepin for each week. The intensification I’d just go by what I could feel best. So for the squats, for example, I’d do 350 sets at 308 lbs for four weeks, then the next four weeks do five count eccentrics for 3x15. I get the impression that as long as I use some kind of intensification method it isn’t too relevant which one I use.

I agree that I dont think it matter too much which intensity technique you use, you just want to fill the muscle with blood and make it work hard. Using Prilepin for a guide is probably a good way to go, I am not expert so this is just my thoughts, for the 7 x 4 week (total 28 reps) based on my understanding of the table I would go with 70% of 1RM because the total reps are high. For the second week where it has 5/4/3/5/4/3, I would go something like 65% 75% 85% repeat. Then for the 3rd week 3/2/1/3/2/1 75% 85% 95% repeat. Then just increase my max by 5/10lbs per cycle. Only question would be whether I based this all of my actual max or a TM. Maybe sensible approach would be TM for the first cycle and see how light it feels, if you add 10lbs per cycle it will soon get heavy enough.

2 Likes

@simo109 doing my work for me. I think I’d just up everything 5% due to a conservative TM.

I agree with increasing by 5% if you are going to base this off a TM. I was bored and have the table saved on my lap top, so didn’t take a minute to look up (dont want you to think I have memorised it !!)

1 Like

Today’s training

Lazy lifter and shoulders

Bench press

35 pull aparts between sets

5x165 lbs, under 6 RPE
5x192 lbs, 6-7 RPE
5x214 lbs, 8-9 RPE
3x242 lbs, 9 RPE - finally got some pop out of my leg drive
1x258 lbs, 9-10 RPE - stalled, then I flared and it shot into lockout so fast I almost dropped it.

CGBP 3x8x165 lbs, 6-7, 7-8, 8-9 RPE

Dips 50 total reps: 10xbodyweight, 10x+22 lbs, 12x+44 lbs, 18xbodyweight because apparently my triceps were shot by this point

DB rows - doing Kroc rows didn’t quite sit right with me. Felt like a break from happening away at 120 lbs so

10x120 lbs, strict
10x140 lbs, strict-ish - that’s my grip limit for 10. Best back pump I’ve had from DB rows in months
15x100 lbs, strict

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTX1WKAFmXm/

I think I’ll keep that row format for a while. It’ll keep working my grip and I feel it more in my back.

BB curl dropset 50 total reps: 15x70 lbs, 10x60 lbs, 12x50 lbs, 10x40 lbs, 10x30 lbs

Egad the pump

Tricep pushdown dropset 100 total reps: 35x44 lbs, 18x38 lbs, 20x32 lbs, 15x26 lbs, 15x20 lbs

Used a solid U-shaped bar. Made a big, big difference in where I felt the pushdowns, this time in the long head.

Very cool, I now have the combo I’ll use for this cycle. Mondays machine preacher curls supersetted with rope pushdowns and 60 second breaks; Thursday dropsets of BB curls and U-bar pushdowns. Then I’ll change it up. I’m learning why variation is quite important for pump work. Starting to build a little toolbox within my toolbox.

Left out incline treadmill walk until tomorrow, ran out of time.

6 Likes

Those rows tho. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m pretty pleased. Seems like I can keep reasonably strict technique with heavier weights, so like I said I’ll keep going with a couple of heavy 10s followed by a higher rep back off set for a while. I don’t see how it’ll make a massive difference to hammering away at Kroc rows when the last month felt like I was starting to get stuck at 120 lbs.

Woke at 184.1 lbs after a less than stellar sleep.

I keep forgetting you’re literally on the other side of the world haha “Why the hell is he just now posting his “wake up” weight?”

1 Like

Plus it’s coming to winter here too, don’t forget.

2 Likes

Yer dont remind me its got fken cold this week …Brrrrrrrrrrr

1 Like

After ANZAC Day, remember?

1 Like

Didn’t sleep well, and definitely felt it no matter how excited j was to squat.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

Squat

15 TRX fatman pull-ups between first three warmup sets, focusing on pulling out as I pull up because I’ve found this adds a big rotator cuff pump to these

Squat

5x319 lbs, under 6 RPE
5x363 lbs, 6 RPE - heavier than I’d have liked it to feel but looked absolutely fine in terms of bar speed
5x412 lbs, 7-8 RPE

Bare knee squatting was a nice change. I may keep doing it for a bit

Wraps go on

5x412 lbs, 6 RPE, 6 revolutions (5, /) - loose, comfortable wraps and the first rep felt like 363 lbs or less
1x464 lbs, 7-8 RPE, 7 revolutions (5, X) - moderately tight, felt close to last couple of bare knee reps at 412 lbs
0x506 lbs, 8 revolutions (5, X, 1) - tight, but probably could get tighter with the same number. Felt fine going down, fine for the first half or so back up then hit a wall. No pitch, chest didn’t collapse so I’m taking comfort in that. I figure it was fatigue mostly. If it had been strength I would have thought I’d have failed earlier and fallen forward.

Really couldn’t be bothered with three FSL sets

20x319 lbs, 8-9 RPE, open belt

Not sure where this has come from, but I’m now comfortable squatting for high reps. It just feels right. To be honest, I’m enjoying the rep and pump work a lot these days. I’m also not overly upset I failed that squat. I was tired, I didn’t see any technical breakdown and I’m not peaked. I don’t know if I have grounds to, but I’m still pretty sure my everyday strength has gone up overall. I just feel overall more physically capable @littlesleeper @flipcollar @BOTSLAYER @Frank_C @simo74 does that make any kind of sense?

Bodyweight walking lunges 50 total reps, one set doing a circuit of the gym. Saw quad veins popping through the hair and got a hell of a pump.

GHR vs light band 50 total reps: 16, 18, 16

Band adds a bit, but not much. Legs engorged by now, and hamstrings actually felt hot to the touch.

Supersetted shoulder tri set/ab wheel
Shoulders 50 total reps each front raise, side raise, RDF at 15 lbs: 20, 15, 15
Ab wheel: 20, 15, 15 from knees

Shoulders got an amazing pump from this. Traps too. I’ll do this Tuesday and Friday for this cycle at least.

Canned the incline treadmill walk as I walked for a solid, unbroken two hours last shift.

To be honest mate I have no idea if that makes sense or not, only you can answer that really. With the consistent hard work you are putting into your training then certainly it would make sense for your max and repetition strength to increase. How much your losing bodyfat impacts on this i have no idea as it will be very different by person and also different depending on how low fat you are and how depleted you are. I wouldn’t worry too much whether it makes sense but just enjoy the ride and be happy you are making great progress.

1 Like

I think you nailed it. I feel like after peaking I’ll be where I want to be - I’ve focused on volume and reps for long enough that I need to reacquaint myself with heavy weights. The volume and reps have definitely done their work, and I think my low end strength has definitely increased as a result. I also think I have to be patient and remember that my body has undergone a fairly significant change too. It’s for the better in the long run, but I’m only just starting the adjustment phase.

One big learning outcome for me from this whole process is that I now have a more practical understanding of how strength fluctuates.

From a pure physics point of view, You may also find that as you are now at a much lower body weight and in some areas size has reduced, it may effect your leverages or your optimum positioning for strength. I agree with you that its most likely just a need now to get used to your new body when it comes to max effort lifts.

1 Like

That’s harder to pick. I feel like its easier to get into position for DL, bench too (kind of) and no different or maybe a little better for squats. Technique certainly appears better for all three.

All my justifications aside, bottom line is I didn’t get the lift today and I’ll get it next time. I’m looking forward to peaking. A little nervously, perhaps, but still.

Here are this week’s highlights

Here’s where my head is at right now: almost every time I miss a squat (or DL, although that seems much rarer), I question things. It’s lucky I don’t miss squats often, or I’d never get anything done with all the questioning.

This got me thinking, when did I last miss a squat before today? Turns out, last couple of days of November last year, which isn’t bad. Not great, but not bad. I got it a month later, for what it’s worth.

I’m not entirely sure where I’m going with this. Side note, I’ve been hungry AF since I finished training and my quads and hips are really quite sore. However, I feel energised and like I want to train tomorrow. Not squat, though, or DL, more like start next week early. Which I won’t, for various reasons the most relevant being I pretty fucking obviously will do well to have a couple of days off.

Now, I’m definitely looking forward to peaking, while at the same time being nervous about backing off the assistance volume for that six week period. That’s because I’ve gotten used to it and reducing how much work I do never sits right with me. I’m looking forward to peaking because I want to know where my limit strength is at even though it’ll probably be below what I hope it will be. Worst case scenario, my slated attempts for July become my provisional attempts for October, although I remain hopeful that I won’t be far off where I want to be.

The biggest thing I need to do is get used to the feel of heavy loads. I’ve taken heavier singles from the start of the Anchor phase but they’ve all felt, well, heavy, and I want to think a large part of that is because I’ve hit them after a top set I pushed a bit as opposed to holding back on every preceding set (which is how I’ve set up peaking).

1 Like