Mark Wahlberg is Max Payne?

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Dennis Leary. After watching Rescue Me am I drooling at the possibility of this guy playing a bad ass action hero. Seriously, I can’t think of a whole lot of characters that don’t look like pussies compared to Leary’s Tommy Gavin in Rescue Me.

Funny you should say that…the guy who played his “dead cousin” is the guy who voiced Max Payne.[/quote]

I thought that looked like Jimmy, but I couldn’t recall his real name.

I like Mark Wahlberg, so say what you will. Granted he only acts in predominantly one role, but so do plenty of other actors that I enjoy–Will Smith, Clint Eastwood, Sean Connery, Robert Redford.

He’s no Daniel Day-Lewis or Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but let’s be honest…those guys are pretty few and far between.

One or two role actors that can do what they do well is fine for most movies.

I thought the Max Payne trailer looked pretty good when I saw it last night.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Lets hope it is just an action shitfest cause there is no way Wahlberg can carry any movie by acting.

[/quote]

Have you not bothered to watch “The Departed?” He wasn’t the main character, but he was great in it none the less.

The gunplay looks decent. Very Hong Kong. Looks like they also have the love interest from the second game in there too.

The Max Payne games were a guilty pleasure for me. For some reason I really enjoyed the story and the action was superb, especially the sequel. If they can make it half as entertaining as the game was it’ll be a win.

I’m not the biggest Mark Wahlberg fan, because as Fiction said, he seems to only play one type of role. I do think he plays those roles well though.

Having said that, I think this looks pretty interesting. I’m not sure I’ll see it in the theater, but we’ll see.

[quote]johnward82 wrote:

And for instance, I think 4 brothers is a good example of a good movie gone bad by a little bad scripting toward “over the top”.

[/quote]

Yeah after I wrote that I immediately thought of Four Brothers and The Departed. He was at his best in them but he didn’t make the movies he just slightly enhanced them. Then I thought about about Shooter and was like “fuck that no talent ass clown”.

[quote]Chip Duglass wrote:
Professor X wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Lets hope it is just an action shitfest cause there is no way Wahlberg can carry any movie by acting.

Have you not bothered to watch “The Departed?” He wasn’t the main character, but he was great in it none the less.
[/quote]

Wow I can curse like a sailor too! Come on the writers had some clever lines and all he had to do was scream them out and act tough. Why do you think the angry joke style is so common among comedians? Angry comedy is easy and it works.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
johnward82 wrote:

And for instance, I think 4 brothers is a good example of a good movie gone bad by a little bad scripting toward “over the top”.

Yeah after I wrote that I immediately thought of Four Brothers and The Departed. He was at his best in them but he didn’t make the movies he just slightly enhanced them. Then I thought about about Shooter and was like “fuck that no talent ass clown”.[/quote]

I also though of Shooter as an example, but then you could turn around and ask if Shooter would have been any better if it starred a different actor?

I liked Shooter. It was a brainless action movie that didn’t try to do much else.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

I also though of Shooter as an example, but then you could turn around and ask if Shooter would have been any better if it starred a different actor?[/quote]

Only way Shooter could of been better is if that hot FBI chick had lesbian sex with the hot Redhead for at least 1/2 the movie. Wait wait wait…if R. Lee Ermey had been it for even 2 minutes the movie would of been better. A better script wouldn’t have hurt either.

As far as different actors go I think the following could of made it better just on pure acting prowess:

Bruce Willis
Edward Norton
Christian Bale
Sean Connery
Ryan Reynolds sillier would of made this movie better
Pierce Brosnon only if he could be from the Matador
Clint Eastwood

The following would probably of made it worse:

Tom Cruise
John Travolta
Nicholas Cage how the fuck does he keep getting work?
Kevin Costner better than Nicholas Cage though
Vin Diesel
Wesley Snipes
Vince Vaughn

I’m tapped at the moment but I think you get the idea.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
The following would probably of made it worse:

Tom Cruise
John Travolta
Nicholas Cage how the fuck does he keep getting work?
Kevin Costner better than Nicholas Cage though
Vin Diesel
Wesley Snipes
Vince Vaughn

I’m tapped at the moment but I think you get the idea.[/quote]

You know, say what you want about Tom Cruise, I thought he was awesome in Tropic Thunder. The movie itself was of the “Eh…” category, but Tom Cruise was impressive. Jack Black, as always, was great. Robert Downey, Jr. was really good, Ben Stiller sucked as usual.

Mark Walhberg was GREAT in The Departed, even if it wasn’t a lead role per se. He was probably my favorite character in that movie. Fucking hilariously colorful police station jibber-jabber between him and Baldwin.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:

Personally,I think his role in The Departed was the best “acting” we’ll ever see out of him. edit Outside action movies…he cannot carry a movie as a lead.[/quote]

Three Kings was good.

I always pictured a young Sean Penn fitting the role nicely. Oh well.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
The gunplay looks decent. Very Hong Kong. Looks like they also have the love interest from the second game in there too.

The Max Payne games were a guilty pleasure for me. For some reason I really enjoyed the story and the action was superb, especially the sequel. If they can make it half as entertaining as the game was it’ll be a win.[/quote]

i agree, i loved the max payne games, and mostly because of the dark, comic-book story behind them.

I wasn’t a big fan of the max payne games but I think I’ll watch the movie…
Four brothers was Mark Wahlbergs best film to date I think.

Game was awesome, I remember playing the games long into the night. Probably only game I thought back then, that would be good as a movie cause of the good story comic like plot it had. So I don’t think it will bad with Wahlberg, role fits him nicely.

The induced matrix feature of the game was fun as hell to.

Strange I always viewed Max as a grittier somewhat beefier Christian Slater.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:

Personally,I think his role in The Departed was the best “acting” we’ll ever see out of him. edit Outside action movies…he cannot carry a movie as a lead.[/quote]

the departed was a good role for him
also I liked him in 4 brothers

hes not a bad actor just a little “green”
3 kings is one that was kind of a bad movie but he did not so bad.IMO

[quote]Fiction wrote:

You know, say what you want about Tom Cruise, I thought he was awesome in Tropic Thunder. The movie itself was of the “Eh…” category, but Tom Cruise was impressive. Jack Black, as always, was great. Robert Downey, Jr. was really good, Ben Stiller sucked as usual.[/quote]

I will agree with you there Tom Cruise was fucking amazing in Tropic Thunder. After the movie I told my gf “2 more good roles like that and I’ll forgive him for the Scientology bullshit”.

Honestly, I though Jack Black was terrible in Tropic Thunder. However, I don’t think it was his fault. It just seemed to me that he played an extremely minor role in the movie and Ben Stiller just didn’t really write anything good for him to do. Only time I really laughed at him was when he pulled the gun out of his underoos.

Downey was pretty funny and Ben Stiller was just Ben Stiller.