T Nation

Mark Rippetoe's 3x5, No Soreness

Hello friends,
Am a newcomer to weight training who has been hitting the gym since last 6 months. It’s my 2 nd week of the Mark Ripettoe’s 3x5 routine but am not feeling any soreness in chest or legs. I used to sore after the other routines I tried previously. What could be the reason? Am I doing something wrong?

low reps and comparitively longer rest period minimises soreness. plus im sure uve started with weights lower than your true 5rm. If you are not adding/substituting anything to it ur doing fine.
are u indian?

[quote]theoutsider111 wrote:
low reps and comparitively longer rest period minimises soreness. plus im sure uve started with weights lower than your true 5rm. If you are not adding/substituting anything to it ur doing fine.
are u indian?[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Yes, Am an Indian.

Soreness doesn’t equate to progress. Soreness just equates to soreness.

If you’re not getting sore, then great!

[quote]animus wrote:

If you’re not getting sore, then great![/quote]

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:

[quote]animus wrote:

I haven’t been sore from lifting in 5 years, didn’t seem to stop me getting stronger…

if anything, lack of soreness would suggest that you’re doing a good job recovering.

Thanks, guys! But the soreness is back! LOL!

eat and sleep more! :slight_smile:

[quote]animus wrote:

A few things wrong with that.

1. It’s on the BB forum… To assume that the same indicators for progress in BB exist for PL is at its root inherently and extravagantly fallacious to the point of absurdity

2. His arguments in refuting scientific research is largely based on conjecture or opinion

3. Correlation DOES NOT mean causation; just because he has experienced gains and soreness simultaneously does not mean that one is the result of the other

4. His assumptions about why muscle grows is only partially correct, outdated, and ignores data collected in the past 30 years of research

5. He does not understand the mechanism that causes DOMS

That said, I do agree that soreness is a good indicator for progress when the goal is hypertrophy. An indicator, not the only one and certainly not one that is necessary nor the cause of hypertrophic progress.

Now, when we’re talking about strength, and strength alone, soreness is something most of us can just ignore and do without.

[quote]animus wrote:

[/quote]
I would strongly recommend that you ignore anything nominal prospect says. He’s either a dedictated troll or a complete idiot.