Mark Rippetoe Quotes

This would turn into a crossfit debate thread.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Rip is a baseline strength dude. He’s the coach that unfucks all the bad wiring in peoples’ heads.

A lot of folks are already beyond his teachings, but his style and place in the community is necessary, in my opinion.

And, he’s dead on about Jesus and Canada.

[/quote]

I’m glad someone gets it.

No matter how you look at it, these quotes, the ones that were posted, not the ones where he says “crossfit is the only way to do anything” (I couldn’t find those ones) are all dead on, especially the one about a gallon of milk only being interchangeable with a gallon of yogurt.

“It has been my experience that the people who make the best progress on CF come from a strength training background. It will be very hard to get your deadlift up to 500 on a straight CrossFit program. It will be quite doable to get a 16 round “Cindy” if you already have a 500 lb. deadlift. Strength is a good base for everything else. GPP is important, if the lack of it is a problem. My point is that if you’re a 25-year-old male with a max squat of 150 lbs., max deadlift of 200, and max press of 100 at a bodyweight of 150, then GPP should not be your first concern. Your CF workouts should be designed around, and should defer to, your strength program until such time as your strength and lean body mass are up high enough to make you a more efficient athlete. In my opinion.”

~Rip

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
“It has been my experience that the people who make the best progress on CF come from a strength training background. It will be very hard to get your deadlift up to 500 on a straight CrossFit program. It will be quite doable to get a 16 round “Cindy” if you already have a 500 lb. deadlift. Strength is a good base for everything else. GPP is important, if the lack of it is a problem. My point is that if you’re a 25-year-old male with a max squat of 150 lbs., max deadlift of 200, and max press of 100 at a bodyweight of 150, then GPP should not be your first concern. Your CF workouts should be designed around, and should defer to, your strength program until such time as your strength and lean body mass are up high enough to make you a more efficient athlete. In my opinion.”

~Rip[/quote]

He’s right.

[quote]Sneaky weasel wrote:
steadfastred wrote:
CrossFit and T-Nation are far more ideologically aligned than T-Nation is with Men’s Health, [/quote]

If you think so…

My favorite quote is about 20 rep squats.

[quote] Mark Rippetoe Said:
Trust me, if you do an honest 20 rep program, at some point Jesus will talk to you. On the last day of the program, he asked if he could work in.[/quote]

Yup.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Out of curiosity, what numbers/records did Rippetoe put up in his prime?
[/quote]

MR: I started competing in 1978 in the 90-kg class at a meet in Houston. No one but me will remember that I was there, I assure you. I retired in 1988 from formal competition in the 100-kg class and continued announcing Texas powerlifting meets until 1997. In fact, I announced the APF nationals in 1995 I think. I was never a terribly memorable lifter with PRs of 611 lbs in the squat, 396 lbs in the bench press, 633 lbs in the deadlift, and a 1643-lb total. However, I did actually win in the 198-lb class in the Greater Texas Classic in 1981. I missed a master total on two occasions by a third attempt deadlift. I usually competed in the USPF, which was at the time the primary organization. It was a good organization, one that owes a huge debt of gratitude to my late friend John Pettit, who formed the backbone of the federation for many years. I miss him quite a bit. He was a maniac and a helluva guy.

…from http://www.elitefts.com/documents/crossfit_total.htm

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Out of curiosity, what numbers/records did Rippetoe put up in his prime?

MR: I started competing in 1978 in the 90-kg class at a meet in Houston. No one but me will remember that I was there, I assure you. I retired in 1988 from formal competition in the 100-kg class and continued announcing Texas powerlifting meets until 1997. In fact, I announced the APF nationals in 1995 I think. I was never a terribly memorable lifter with PRs of 611 lbs in the squat, 396 lbs in the bench press, 633 lbs in the deadlift, and a 1643-lb total. However, I did actually win in the 198-lb class in the Greater Texas Classic in 1981. I missed a master total on two occasions by a third attempt deadlift. I usually competed in the USPF, which was at the time the primary organization. It was a good organization, one that owes a huge debt of gratitude to my late friend John Pettit, who formed the backbone of the federation for many years. I miss him quite a bit. He was a maniac and a helluva guy.

…from http://www.elitefts.com/documents/crossfit_total.htm

[/quote]

And he can drink a gallon of milk in 15 minutes… and hold it down.

Rippetoe was 1337. Strong mofo in his day.

CrossFit = performance oriented with physique being a secondary concern

T-Nation = physique oriented with performance being a secondary concern

At least that’s always been my conception.

Intensity is intensity. If the Crossfit community gives people that intensity, then good. Many guys in my unit do it for morning PT, and Crossfit works well for military folks.

I just cringe when they do high rep clean and jerks. But most of the other stuff is just intense circuit training.

Intensity applied to any training regime, especially one that follows a process of increased loading, volume or density, will yield great results (if diet is on point).

As for the quotes, I really like almost all of them and I’m committing many to memory.

/Crossfit

I would like to think that T-Nation is a place where all those that take part in all aspects of the resistance training genre come and discuss stuff.

My lifts are for athletic performance, yours maybe to body build for show and someone else just likes to bench 500lbs. But whatever or whoever you are the Nation of T is a welcoming place.

Yeah, I want a bench like big willie!

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
The man speaks a whole lot of sense, but typical of those involved with Crossfit he comes off as if he knows it all and if you disagree with him then you’re a “pussy” or you’re “gay”.[/quote]

You are right to be wary. There is much bullshit. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. -Mark Rippetoe

1 Like

[quote]elano wrote:
Yeah, I want a bench like big willie![/quote]

TRAIN HARD! :stuck_out_tongue: