Mark Rippetoe Quotes

Wow, I always thought he was like an old chinese kung fu master, sitting calmly meditating only spilling his secrets to those who need it.

Excuse me, I’ve got a lot of reading to do now.

[quote]Flow wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:
The man speaks a whole lot of sense, but typical of those involved with Crossfit he comes off as if he knows it all and if you disagree with him then you’re a “pussy” or you’re “gay”.

I agree with this. He has a very polarizing, close-minded attitude.[/quote]

Yeah, but he is f#$ing right.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
The man speaks a whole lot of sense, but typical of those involved with Crossfit he comes off as if he knows it all and if you disagree with him then you’re a “pussy” or you’re “gay”.[/quote]

hmm… Most of what he says is either common sense or comes from his experience as a coach. I mean, strength is good. Squats are good. Milk by the gallon is good. You don’t need a coach to teach you to power clean.

So… what specifically do you disagree with?

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:
Flow wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:
The man speaks a whole lot of sense, but typical of those involved with Crossfit he comes off as if he knows it all and if you disagree with him then you’re a “pussy” or you’re “gay”.

I agree with this. He has a very polarizing, close-minded attitude.

But it’s funny.[/quote]

And he’s right.

[quote]Flow wrote:

What are you responding to?[/quote]

The statement that he is close minded and stuff. The guy tells it like it is when it comes to strength and he is right. I don’t think that is being close minded, he just knows whats right and if you tell him something wrong, he will correct you. The dude knows what works and what doesn’t when it comes to getting strong.

[quote]Otep wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

hmm… Most of what he says is either common sense or comes from his experience as a coach. I mean, strength is good. Squats are good. Milk by the gallon is good. You don’t need a coach to teach you to power clean.

So… what specifically do you disagree with?[/quote]

I would disagree with the Crossfit stuff. I just don’t like it.

[quote]elano wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
On the one hand, his quotes are pretty damn great.

On the other hand, I now know who’s responsible for all these skinny little dudes with abs insisting that they are bodybuilders too and trolling the bb-subforum here…

Mark Rippetoe says in starting strength that dudes shouldn’t care about their abs and how they should eat between 2500-5000 calories a day on his programs, a gallon of milk/day and such. Why would you think he is responsible for the skinny little dudes trolling the bb-fourms? This dude is all about getting big.[/quote]

You didn’t understand what statement C_C was referring to.

Hint - this:
“You guys that worry about eating clean are actually merely bodybuilders looking for justification for your obsession with abs. You cannot get big and strong on 3000 kcal/day. And you cannot eat 7000/day and eat perfectly “clean”.”

Clear thinking has abandoned western society lol.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Otep wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

I would disagree with the Crossfit stuff. I just don’t like it.[/quote]

Mark Rippetoe isn’t a crossfit coach. In fact, he says it isn’t a good way to get strong and mostly useful for fireman, police, and those kinds of applications. He just gives basic barbell certification to crossfit coaches.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Otep wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

I would disagree with the Crossfit stuff. I just don’t like it.[/quote]

That is not disagreement. That is saying “I just don’t like it.”

Awesome stuff.

[quote]Otep wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

So… what specifically do you disagree with?[/quote]

I will start by saying he is a good coach, and that I have Starting Strength and Practical Programming.

As much as he can help, he isn’t perfect. He has an attitude that he is the best, and if you don’t do things his way, you are stupid. For sports, he is lacking. He knows some for nutrition, but admits he is not an expert. I don’t agree with his “crossfit is the the only hope for the future” thoughts. I can’t say from experience, but some of our more advanced members don’t like his thoughts on training past the beginner stages.

[quote]elano wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Otep wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

I would disagree with the Crossfit stuff. I just don’t like it.

Mark Rippetoe isn’t a crossfit coach. In fact, he says it isn’t a good way to get strong and mostly useful for fireman, police, and those kinds of applications. He just gives basic barbell certification to crossfit coaches.[/quote]

Alright. That does make sense.

[quote]
That is not disagreement. That is saying “I just don’t like it.”[/quote]

Well, it’s more like, “Because I don’t like it, I disagree with it,” but then again, to each his own.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:

Clear thinking has abandoned western society lol.[/quote]

Oh ha my bad.

Thanks very much to the original poster for this; some great quotes:)

Cheers
Chris

[quote]

I will start by saying he is a good coach, and that I have Starting Strength and Practical Programming.

As much as he can help, he isn’t perfect. He has an attitude that he is the best, and if you don’t do things his way, you are stupid. For sports, he is lacking. He knows some for nutrition, but admits he is not an expert. I don’t agree with his “crossfit is the the only hope for the future” thoughts. I can’t say from experience, but some of our more advanced members don’t like his thoughts on training past the beginner stages.[/quote]

I’m gonna assume that asshole attitude is what got him where he is is today. His manner clearly defines the attitude that one should undertake while doing his program.(i.e. breaking your balls is the only way to go)

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
elano wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
On the one hand, his quotes are pretty damn great.

On the other hand, I now know who’s responsible for all these skinny little dudes with abs insisting that they are bodybuilders too and trolling the bb-subforum here…

Mark Rippetoe says in starting strength that dudes shouldn’t care about their abs and how they should eat between 2500-5000 calories a day on his programs, a gallon of milk/day and such. Why would you think he is responsible for the skinny little dudes trolling the bb-fourms? This dude is all about getting big.

Hint - this:
“You guys that worry about eating clean are actually merely bodybuilders looking for justification for your obsession with abs. You cannot get big and strong on 3000 kcal/day. And you cannot eat 7000/day and eat perfectly “clean”.”

Clear thinking has abandoned western society lol.[/quote]

And I thought my post was idiot-proof ;D

Out of curiosity, what numbers/records did Rippetoe put up in his prime?

[quote]Eielson wrote:
Otep wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

As much as he can help, he isn’t perfect. He has an attitude that he is the best, and if you don’t do things his way, you are stupid. For sports, he is lacking. He knows some for nutrition, but admits he is not an expert. I don’t agree with his “crossfit is the the only hope for the future” thoughts. I can’t say from experience, but some of our more advanced members don’t like his thoughts on training past the beginner stages.[/quote]

You may not agree with it but unfortunately it is becoming on of the most popular programs in the US. There is so much accountability for completing the workouts it’s stifling. Also Crossfit beats infinitely poeple being coach potatoes, also it is pretty accessible and I assume much more welcoming/friendly environment than a gym.

My interpretation of his involvement with Crossfit is that he teaches barbell exercises from Starting Strength and that he gets a lot of money to teach it, which is what he is best at.

When lifting 85-90% of your 1RM there is no maybe there is only right and injury.

High rep oly lifts are what I really don’t like about it. Seems too random. I like focused high intensity circuits that follow a pattern for a few weeks.

But anything to get people up and moving is better than nothing for sure.

Rip is a baseline strength dude. He’s the coach that unfucks all the bad wiring in peoples’ heads.

A lot of folks are already beyond his teachings, but his style and place in the community is necessary, in my opinion.

And, he’s dead on about Jesus and Canada.

1 Like

[quote]steadfastred wrote:
High rep oly lifts are what I really don’t like about it. Seems too random. I like focused high intensity circuits that follow a pattern for a few weeks.

But anything to get people up and moving is better than nothing for sure.[/quote]

I’ll agree wholeheartedly that most CF’ers level of technical proficiency in the Olympic lifts is sorely lacking.

However, it boggles my mind that a program that advocates heavy squatting, deadlifting, pressing, basic gymnastics movements, an emphasis on anaerobic, high-intensity conditioning AND by its very nature necessitates that one bust their balls while doing it is not welcomed with open arms by this community. CrossFit and T-Nation are far more ideologically aligned than T-Nation is with Men’s Health, Muscle & Fitness, or any other mainstream fitness publication. I stay active on both forums, because both sides have a great deal to offer.