Mark Felix, What's Missing??

Good points bud.

I agree with you on the jerking of implements (lol). It’s easier on most all of them to just do a push press or strict press. If you want an exception, go back a couple years at WSM and look at Don Pope, guy used a friggen split jerk on that gnarly stone block!. Phister also used some sort of push press. I don’t know that anyone was able to strict press it?

I guess the point I’m going back to is this. IMO, some sort of jerk is the best way to get a MAX amount of weight overhead. Unless you are an exception to the rule and can strict press anything, why not learn how to effectively use your legs?

Monopoly

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
Very few lifters do a jerk regularly. Even those that do jerk, often have to press out. I didn’t find those videos by searching competitors I knew did a push press or strict press, I just did a random search for the top competitors (other than misha and krystal) and all the videos I found were some kind of push press. Go to any competition, most of the competitors will have an ugly press (compared to an oly press).

Yes, Oly lifters put the heaviest bar over their head, but their training isn’t right for a strongman. I would doubt even Reza could do a 400lb log press with out training for it, let alone press yokes, blocks, stones, etc.

You just can’t jerk these implements, so a lot of the time that would be put towards developing the jerk is spent developing strict pressing strength. I know I could probably press more on a barbell if the only thing I did was jerk, but I can’t put that much focus on it since I have to bring up my strict pressing strength too. I think this is the main reason.

Also, you can’t knock the big pressers in strongman for being freaks and then use “who lifts the most OH in the world” as an arguement. That’s just not fair.

As for top sm guys training oly, many of them do, but that doesn’t mean it looks pretty. Jesse, Krystal, Misha (all from oly backgrounds) are the exception, not the rule. Ortmayer trains oly style, even has instructional video on the oly lifts, and still does a push press on the log and axle. [/quote]

I can jerk a yoke, lol.

But I agree with many of your statements as my pure pressing strength is what is holding me back. Sure I can jerk a log real good fresh in training. But than after some grueling medley the next event is a max log and my legs are shot. I can’t get the same explosion.

Its good to have that pure pressing strength to fall back.

Still who holds the American log press record?

Jason Kristal…

You can’t say nothing is missing from Mark Felix’s press it is an obvious weakness. I don’t know how to fix it and I am sure he is working on it. It almost seems like his mobility hinders him. Maybe from being a bodybuilder for so long?

[quote]skidmark wrote:
The continental clean lets you keep total power output low in comparison to a full clean, which spares energy which in turn lets you complete more reps.

They’re ugly, but there’s a method behind the madness.[/quote]

continental cleans are much tougher on me than a power clean.