Marion Jones Fails Drug Test

Another one bites the dust. Steroids aren’t exactly new in athletics. But never before have so many elite athletes been in trouble because of them. It will really be interesting to see what happens in the next decade. I agree with what someone else said. Elite athletes have risked using because they know other elite athletes who have gotten away with it. But in today’s atmosphere, I think that’s getting to no longer be the case. Testing is becoming so strict and rigorous and comprehensive that I would expect to see use stamped out in the future.

I dont buy this for marion jones.

Why would she take epo? If she was a distance runner it would make sense. Not for a sprinter. If it was a synthetic hormone, then it’d be no question. But the body produces EPO naturally, there could be any reason for an individual to hav an elevated epo level.

[quote]emdawgz1 wrote:
Raziel wrote:

Like the tour de france allegations, they KNOW they are being monitored, why risk it?[/quote]

Yeah, I know!

From the “wiki”

Although pharmaceutical EPO has benefited many thousands of anemic patients, it also has a converse side as a blood doping agent sometimes used by healthy athletes to gain a competitive advantage. By increasing the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood it increases the aerobic respiratory capacity of the muscles, making it appealing to participants in endurance sports such as cycling and long-distance running. It is considered to be especially valuable in multi-stage bicycle races, where it can offset the decrease in red blood cells that occurs over several weeks of racing.

EPO doping probably became common in Grand Tour cycling after pharmaceutical EPO became available in the late 1980s, but there was at the time no way to prove its use in the absence of physical evidence of EPO possession. In retrospect, the deaths of a dozen or more elite cyclists in the early 1990s from heart failure while sleeping, were grim evidence of its overuse…

Although widely applied, the test is controversial. In 2005, Rutger Beke, a Belgian triathelete successfully challenged his conviction for EPO doping by presenting scientific evidence that the test was unreliable in his case. Several other athletes have since made similar defenses. In the highest profile case to date, Spanish rider Roberto Heras was stripped of what would have been his fourth win of the Vuelta a Espa?a in 2005 after a positive urine test for pharmaceutical EPO. He has asserted his innocence and vowed to challenge the conviction based on the handling of his sample and alleged weaknesses in the test method.

[quote]emdawgz1 wrote:
Raziel wrote:
this comes as a suprise?

there’s a pic of her shaking hands with the guy from balco

would you guys defend a bodybuilder that juiced up to win a natural competition… i know there’s no such thing as natural bb comps but let’s suppose…

Name one top track and field athlete that hasnt been touched by doping or doping allegations.

Personally i dont buy this for Marion Jones. I think that the testing is very arbitrary. I dont know my hormone levels or how they fluctuate from one day or week or month to the next. Or how they compare to “normal” numbers.

I just find it implausble, that a person who is surrounded by testing and suspicion, would even try to slide an illegal substance past the testing process.

Like the tour de france allegations, they KNOW they are being monitored, why risk it?[/quote]

I guess we have to accept the fact that most of these athletes are blatant idiots then. Just like Tyler Hamilton (US cyclist) has been pleading his innocence for the past 2 years, and now the Danish doctrine that was published just recently, confirms that along with his blood doping practices he was taking a colage of ther doping products ranging from HGH and EPO. In fact, there are fax exchanges that are currently being with held as evidence, proving his guilt even more. Tyler was apparently buying these doping products and having the invoices faxed to him(IDIOT)!!

The sad thing is that once he has served his ban, some pro cycling team will snatch him up and pay him a decent salary to ride again. That’s what’s wrong with cycling, they allow these dopers to be re-instated once they serve their doping bans.

She was cleared…

http://www.eitb24.com/portal/eitb24/noticia/en/sports/one-of-most-decorated-sprinters-marion-jones-cleared-of-doping?itemId=B24_8526&cl=%2Feitb24%2Fdeportes&idioma=en

[quote]emdawgz1 wrote:
I just find it implausble, that a person who is surrounded by testing and suspicion, would even try to slide an illegal substance past the testing process.
[/quote]

So by your logic it’s “implausible” that any top athlete has ever done any drug ever?

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
emdawgz1 wrote:

So by your logic it’s “implausible” that any top athlete has ever done any drug ever?
[/quote]
uMM NO.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
emdawgz1 wrote:

[/quote]
Umm no,

But marion has been linked to Balco, her ex husband, boyfriend and coach have been linked to balco… maybe not the best time to attempt evading a doping test…d’ya think?

If i had all this noise around me i’d work @ being extra clean. not at trying some epo.

Where are the apologies for convicting her prematurely?