Marion Jones Fails Drug Test

They talk on the site like they expect athletes to be honest if they use illegal drugs…

Another great athlete tagged by a drug test. This is getting interesting.

A TDF rider using a short test protocol and a sprinter using EPO… What the hell is going on?

she can drug me any time she wants. that bitch is hot

[quote]etaco wrote:
A TDF rider using a short test protocol and a sprinter using EPO… What the hell is going on?[/quote]

The test, I don’t understand. On the other hand I do understand the EPO, she runs the 400 and 1600 relay, which you run a few rounds a meet which adds up pretty quickly.

[quote]Chris Adams wrote:
etaco wrote:
A TDF rider using a short test protocol and a sprinter using EPO… What the hell is going on?

The test, I don’t understand. On the other hand I do understand the EPO, she runs the 400 and 1600 relay, which you run a few rounds a meet which adds up pretty quickly.[/quote]

I could see it in the 800, but in a 50 second race your aerobic system is going to be spending most of the race ramping up. Getting an extra couple percent out of a system providing a few percent doesn’t seem like the most efficient way. I guess it must help enough though.

I really, really like her.
She is a powerhouse.
If anywoman is genetically built to be an athlete it’s her. I know many men who would die to have her body.

I understand the pressures to keep delivering top performances so that in no way diminishes my admiration for her.
Her drug taking is just a byproduct of our generation of unrelanting standards and the sheer lack of appreciation for “good enough” performances - it’s never enough.

Moments of perfection, which is achievable and reasonable against the unreasonable and unrealistic demand to deliver perfection in every moment of competition.

[quote]Chris Adams wrote:

The test, I don’t understand. .[/quote]

If they didn’t do simple hematocrit, there is one other test I was reading about last year. This test actually tests for acid/base of a subgroup in the actual RBC I believe. The RBCs stimulated by EPO are actually slightly more acidic or basic than the ones produced naturally in the body.

I can’t remember how accurate it was and how many labs can actually do it though.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
Chris Adams wrote:

The test, I don’t understand. .

If they didn’t do simple hematocrit, there is one other test I was reading about last year. This test actually tests for acid/base of a subgroup in the actual RBC I believe. The RBCs stimulated by EPO are actually slightly more acidic or basic than the ones produced naturally in the body.

I can’t remember how accurate it was and how many labs can actually do it though.[/quote]

I cracked up when I read this, good information I didn’t know that but when I said “test” didn’t mean test I ment testosterone. But thank you anyway.

Well they run about three rounds of each race so add it up. 100x3 200x3 400x6 long jumpx3. That’s a lot of running in a day. You still need endurance to be a sprinter but you don’t need to be able to run a 1600 to run a 400 hundred. The 200 is about as far as I sprint. 300 a gallop and a 400 is a jog.

Her mistake is the reason why I havent done anything illegal in performance drugs. Ive watched her since I was a little knobby knee-d thing

this comes as a suprise?

there’s a pic of her shaking hands with the guy from balco

would you guys defend a bodybuilder that juiced up to win a natural competition… i know there’s no such thing as natural bb comps but let’s suppose…

Her ex-husband the thrower was busted for roids. The father of her child, Tim Montogmery, another sprinter, is in trouble for steroids. Can anyone this surrounded by drugs be innocent? Can anyone at her level even pretend to be clean? They’re all drugged. Read the old Charlie Francis interviews on this site.

Athelete as such can always be given an oral “supplement”, and not know that it is roided.

Marion is a hell of an athelete…

[quote]Raziel wrote:
this comes as a suprise?

there’s a pic of her shaking hands with the guy from balco

would you guys defend a bodybuilder that juiced up to win a natural competition… i know there’s no such thing as natural bb comps but let’s suppose…[/quote]

Name one top track and field athlete that hasnt been touched by doping or doping allegations.

Personally i dont buy this for Marion Jones. I think that the testing is very arbitrary. I dont know my hormone levels or how they fluctuate from one day or week or month to the next. Or how they compare to “normal” numbers.

I just find it implausble, that a person who is surrounded by testing and suspicion, would even try to slide an illegal substance past the testing process.

Like the tour de france allegations, they KNOW they are being monitored, why risk it?

[quote]djrobins wrote:
Athelete as such can always be given an oral “supplement”, and not know that it is roided.

Marion is a hell of an athelete…[/quote]

EPO is injected subcutaneously. You don’t do it by accident.

It’s too bad…she is a great athlete. She grew up in the next city from where I lived. I used to watch her play basketball in high school and she would just dominate. And of course in track I can remember rumors around town that she was good enough to go to the Olympics (this was when she was about 17). I hate to see all this happening to her because she is such a great athlete. I hate to see her reputation ruined like so many others.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the way they test for EPO by checking the hematocrit? In other words, the doping labs can’t necessarily identify a substance related to doping, but an excessively high red blood cell volume in the sample indicates doping.

If that is the case, it is necessarily so that she used EPO? Most steroids, including stanozolol (long used by sprinters, what Ben Johnson got popped for), significantly increase red blood cell counts. Some of those drugs are even used to treat aplastic anemia. If so, and if all she got busted for was an unusually high hematocrit, it might mean that she was using AAS and not doping her blood.

[quote]Dave2 wrote:
Her ex-husband the thrower was busted for roids. The father of her child, Tim Montogmery, another sprinter, is in trouble for steroids. Can anyone this surrounded by drugs be innocent? Can anyone at her level even pretend to be clean? They’re all drugged. Read the old Charlie Francis interviews on this site.[/quote]

Here’s a few of the Francis articles/interviews for those who are interested:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459625

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_123rock

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_135supp

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_125game

That last one mentions Marion and C.J. Hunter (ex-husband) specifically.

This last link is a general collection of articles concerning cheating in sports compiled by Shugart a couple of years back for those who missed it:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-045-feature

The ignorance that still surrounds drugs in sports, especially on this site of all places, amazes me…

[quote]emdawgz1 wrote:
Raziel wrote:

i know there’s no such thing as natural bb comps but let’s suppose…

Like the tour de france allegations, they KNOW they are being monitored, why risk it?[/quote]

You only risk it if you know you can get away with it. You know you can get away with it if you know someone who has gotten away with it before.

What is natural today?

Maybe we should stop being hypocritical about the price we are all willing to pay to be a winner all the time and allow all drugs to be used, no monitoring.

Just let the athletes collapse while competing, have heart attacks, seizures, eppileptic fits, have their heads blowing up and what have you.

Only the fittest would survive the drug abuse and in that way only the truly strong will “win”. Like the process of natural selection in nature.

And think of the entertaining factor. There would be so much drama we would not need war and relationship games anymore. Sports would provide all the bloodshed and self-destructive element of human nature.

I say let them all blow their heads off.