Marines?

[quote]thehammerlord wrote:
I don’t see the marriage thing as a problem, as we have been dating for awhile.

As far as getting in shape for the Marines, I suppose just use a basic lifting program, a good diet, and make sure I can do a lot of pull-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups. Thanks for all the replies.[/quote]

I’m telling you dude BRING HER UP TO SPEED ANYWAY EVEN IF YOU DON’T THINK ITS A PROBLEM. Dating for awhile even if it’s years does not factor into a succesful Military based relationship. Your goals as a proffesional Marine will become her goals and she has to be good with that.

Everything from nights on the town to visiting family will not be dictated by either of you, it will be dictated by the Marines. You aren’t going to be home much at all. PJG is dead on accurate, take a lesson from his personal experience.

I was married when I first got into the Navy and everything was okey dokey when I was on Shore duty. But I was a Corpsman and got stationed with the Marines about 6 months after we were married and I was never fucking home. I was either deployed or on training/field ops almost the whole time. Naturally my marriage didn’t last out the tour mostly becuase I was unavailable and she got lonely and everything went upside down.

B.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
thehammerlord wrote:
I don’t see the marriage thing as a problem, as we have been dating for awhile.

As far as getting in shape for the Marines, I suppose just use a basic lifting program, a good diet, and make sure I can do a lot of pull-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups. Thanks for all the replies.

I’m telling you dude BRING HER UP TO SPEED ANYWAY EVEN IF YOU DON’T THINK ITS A PROBLEM. Dating for awhile even if it’s years does not factor into a succesful Military based relationship. Your goals as a proffesional Marine will become her goals and she has to be good with that.

Everything from nights on the town to visiting family will not be dictated by either of you, it will be dictated by the Marines. You aren’t going to be home much at all. PJG is dead on accurate, take a lesson from his personal experience.

I was married when I first got into the Navy and everything was okey dokey when I was on Shore duty. But I was a Corpsman and got stationed with the Marines about 6 months after we were married and I was never fucking home. I was either deployed or on training/field ops almost the whole time. Naturally my marriage didn’t last out the tour mostly becuase I was unavailable and she got lonely and everything went upside down.

B.

[/quote]

Listen to these guys. They know what they’re talking about. If you don’t believe them, go to a nightclub around an active base. You will see groups of women looking to hook up. Their story? Their husbands/bfs are either deployed or in the field. Sad but true.

DB

Let’s not put the horse before the carriage. He still has to get accepted into the program. That alone is highly competitive. The year I got accepted, I was one of only three guys selected out of the Los Angeles area. OCS only cranks out a couple hundred officers a year.

Disqualifying factors: any admitted illegal drug use is normally an immediate disqualifier for OCS. Criminal activity, every traffic violation, misdemeanor, petty offense will be investigated, felons are a no-go. Personal/political affiliation-if you belonged to your college’s communist party, even if only to meet girls, don’t expect to get in. Basically you will have to qualify for a Secret security clearance.

My advise it to talk to an OSO, and if you are serious, don’t give up, be aggressive in your pursuit and DON"T be a puss and tell the guy you just want to wear a cool uniform or you like the free medical and dental plan. OSO’s are under no pressure to recruit.

They, unlike enlisted recruiters, will turn you away if they don’t like your attitude or your vibe. You will have to prove yourself a bit. Remember, you are applying to become a leader of an elite military force. The selection process is detailed and HIGHLY competitive.

I don’t have any disqualifying factors, I will go and talk to an OSO soon. I posted on another forum, for people considering joining the marines, roughly the same question and basically got back the following answer. “Don’t join the Marines.”

The only difference was I mentioned I didn’t know how well I would handle mindless tasks, and that I was nervous of going into a war zone. Is life in the marines a completely boring experience or do pretty much all MOS’s offer something interesting?

I don’t have any disqualifying factors, I will go and talk to an OSO soon. I posted on another forum, for people considering joining the marines, roughly the same question and basically got back the following answer. “Don’t join the Marines.”

The only difference was I mentioned I didn’t know how well I would handle mindless tasks, and that I was nervous of going into a war zone. Is life in the marines a completely boring experience or do pretty much all MOS’s offer something interesting?
[/quote]

Yeah, life in the Marines is real booring. Meaningless tasks like fighting the Taliban, Al Quaeda, and various international insurgents. The other website you reference sounds like some liberal military-service-is-for-loosers place. Do your research.

[/quote]

As a 2nd Lt and a 1stLt, you won’t be performing many “mindless tasks” in the Operating Forces. You will have too much to learn from your Marines for anything to be mindless. As previously written, you still have to prove yourself enough to be selected to go to OCS. I would focus on that if I were you.

There are no mindless tasks, only mindless people.

I was an enlisted Marine and an officer in the Navy later. As a Marine I was an electronics technician. After 14 weeks of boot camp and a year of electronics training in 29 Palms, I worked in a shop in Camp Pendelton for a year. It was pretty much a 7AM-5PM 5 days a week job, with 24 hour duty every 4th day.

The duty consisted of spending the 24 hours guarding some building somewhere on the base. The officers that managed the electronics shop I worked in basically had the same schedule, so there are some normal jobs in the Marines. However, probably 98% of all Marines are infantry men so only a lucky few get those kinds of jobs.

And in a crisis, those support groups, like my electronics shop, can be packed up in a heartbeat and moved to just behind the front lines (which are not always well defined). During the Viet Nam war my shop was “deployed” to Da Nang, and I would assume it is now “deployed” in Bagdad.

Navy officer candidate school was a joke physically, menatally and in every way. A total waste of 10 weeks of my life, to learn some basic marching and how to wear the uniform. Physical training was a 1-1/2 mile run and a few pushups every morning, and I figured out how to get out of that and went and did my own thing. They weren’t very strict about it.

I think they have a separate OCS for potential pilots that is a little more difficult. After OCS 99.99% of Naval officers go to sea on a ship for at least 2 years before you have the opportunity to even think about doing anything else. If you want to know more about the Navy let me know, but I have been out for 20+ years now so I sure a lot has changed.