Marines, Force Recon, Marsoc

[quote]amphibian wrote:
“No I nearly died in training and was seperated”

That sucks Tyrant, glad you at least survived. I’ve seen guys get crippled and killed over the years. I had two limited duty boards myself. I made it through 24 years and train the new meats now, but I am battered. I’m in pain every single day, still moving though and still training.

Semper Fi![/quote]

Yeah I’m pretty fortunate, when I was getting out there was this one kid, great guy I couldn’t beleive he still had a positive attitude about everything. But during the 2nd saturday hike someone pushed him from behind and he slipped on a curb in town.

Fell and landed wrong and destroyed his elbow, and now he’ll have only around 30% mobility for the rest of his life. I was “lucky” enough to just have some minor discomfort in my sternum after a solid year and a half of healing.

Anyway, Semper Fi

[quote]amphibian wrote:
“No I nearly died in training and was seperated”

That sucks Tyrant, glad you at least survived. I’ve seen guys get crippled and killed over the years. I had two limited duty boards myself. I made it through 24 years and train the new meats now, but I am battered. I’m in pain every single day, still moving though and still training.

Semper Fi![/quote]

Hard chargers never slow down!

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
I dunno your genetics but most recon are lean. Join the air force and get hyooge[/quote]

lol. ain’t that the truth.

i have been extremely impressed with the physical fitness levels of recon marines.

If you are still interested in Recon, I can probably help you out. I'm currently a Reconnaissance Marine (0321) and School Sniper (8541) with a Force company. I have been for 4 years and as I understand it the process is SIMILAR to what it was then. If you are going active duty you will probably not be able to go contract recon (only reservists). I was enlisted as a Rifleman (0311). 

After boot camp you will attend School of Infantry, during which you can take the recon screening. You will be required to complete a timed 500M swim 30 min water tread, 12’ rifle retrieval and tread for a minute or so with the rifle held over you head, a 50M underwater crossover, and some other easy shit. Once done in the pool you will immediately begin a marine corps PFT of which you have to get a first class score 225 min. If you pass the screening, you will then complete SOI and graduate an 0311.

You will begin R.I.P. Recon Indoctrination Platoon I think it has a different name now and is a bit softer due to increase in demand for 0321s’. You will basically “train” and if you meet the standards of the Recon Marines running the RIP (I was in rip for a couple of months I think I try to block it from my memory) You will then attend the Basic Reconnaissance Course on the west coast (12 weeks +/-).

If you graduate BRC you will be sent to either 1st 2nd or 3rd recon BN. Some 0321s have been sent to Force co. upon arrival at the Battalion but usually it is the senior operators and Plt sgts. sent to the force companies due to mission requirements. Hope this helps.