T Nation

Marine Tackles Bank Robber

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Mad Titan wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
Granted, it was a very heroic act tackling the bank robber. But I’m not so sure that I’d do anything like that unless I was certain someone’s life was in jeopardy.

I wonder if the Marine realizes that he can be held personally liable if he did any harm to that bank robber when he took him down. There’s a lawyer around every corner. And the Marine is not covered by the banks insurance as he is not an employee.

Just a few thoughts for all of the kiddies out there who want to play hero.

Well this is what separates him from people who think like this. A hero realizes the inherent risks and consequences of his actions but take action anyway. Some people will go through life without knowing what sacrifice means.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing” -Edmund Burke

Very good sounding words, I like them. You could also throw in some dramatic music as well, and also cue the sunset. But reality sometimes gets in the way of the drama.

The individual in question would have to pay for his own lawyer to defend the suit. Let’s see…a prolonged law suit could cost in the neighborhood of 10-k, or better. And if the guy wins the suit the hero could lose his house, car, bank account, etc.

Well, that’s only if the hero actually owns something right? What if he’s worth nothing, then he can play hero with no repercussion, right?

Wrong.

Then if our hero loses the suit his wages are garnished. That means that if our hero takes home $500.00 per week the “bad guy” gets a nice big cut of that. Sometimes up to half (or better) depending on the state.

Look, I’m not saying that you should stand by and allow the criminal element to take over in any given situation. But look really carefully before you leap, as that leap might just cost you everything that you have.
[/quote]

what’s your point? you try to break it down like no one knows what the consequences are. on the last paragraph you basically reiterated what you previously stated in your first post. You may think your line of thinking is more of a realist…IT IS NOT. My stance is still the same.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Mad Titan wrote:

what’s your point? you try to break it down like no one knows what the consequences are. on the last paragraph you basically reiterated what you previously stated in your first post. You may think your line of thinking is more of a realist…IT IS NOT. My stance is still the same.

No worries man, I know where you’re coming from. When I was in my 20’s I felt the same way. When you get older you realize that reality, at times, bites.

[/quote]

I think the problem lies in making assumptions like you assume i’m in my 20s (I’m not)…and probably haven’t had that much experience in life (a lot more than you ASSUME)…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Mick28,

I can appreciate your “devil’s advocacy” in this. The phrase “no good deed goes unpunished” is out there for a reason. There are plenty of “Good Samaritans” who got hammered for their kindness or heroism.

I am in my mid-40’s and I do give some consideration to what type of situation I would intervene.

However, there are situations where intervention is the only choice for a real man regardless of the potential consequences.

For some of us the thought of “minding our own business” or turning away when undeserved harm is about to befall an innocent person is not a viable option.

It is part of our raising. We hold doors open for ladies. We watch over other people’s kids even when we don’t know them. And we come to the aid of damsels in distress.

If that means we lose in the end at least we go forward knowing we were men to our wives and fathers to our children.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Mad Titan wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
Mad Titan wrote:

what’s your point? you try to break it down like no one knows what the consequences are. on the last paragraph you basically reiterated what you previously stated in your first post. You may think your line of thinking is more of a realist…IT IS NOT. My stance is still the same.

No worries man, I know where you’re coming from. When I was in my 20’s I felt the same way. When you get older you realize that reality, at times, bites.

I think the problem lies in making assumptions like you assume i’m in my 20s (I’m not)…and probably haven’t had that much experience in life (a lot more than you ASSUME)…

Forgive me.

[/quote]

its not that serious…I thought it was funny actually…

The guy walked into a bank claiming to have a bomb…

What exactly would have constituted unreasonable force?!

Not much in my book, particularly given the times we live in.

There are many on this board over there in the US that go on about how gun ownership makes for a safer community. For the sake of discussion, what if this marine had shot the guy dead? unreasonable?

I don’t think so.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.