Marine OCS

Hey guys,

It looks like I’m gonna be heading down to Quantico in September for OCS. Final word hasn’t come out yet but my OSO says my application package looks real good.

Right now I’m a 274 PFTer. 20 pull ups, 90 situps(had a shit day doing them…no excuses), 20:30 3 mile time. Still working my ass off, and hoping to be in the high 280’s or low 290’s on my pre-ship PFT.

My usual week of PT is basically 5-6 days of running alternating between longer runs (5 or 6 miles), shorter runs (2 or 3 miles) and speed work (hills and 400m sprints). Situps and other ab work 4-5 days a week, pull ups 5 days a week, and other Marine Corps type stuff thrown in at my discretion, ie mountain climbers, body builders, etc.

I’d like to incorporate some weight training into my PT, but don’t want to get into a program that will interfere too much with my running training (my goal is to ship with a 3 mile time in the high 18’s or low 19’s). But I love to lift, so if its feasible I want to throw in some weight training.

Anyone who has been to OCS, Boot Camp, or has experience with this type of training please feel free to weigh in I appreciate any and all constructive responses.

Thanks…GET SOME

Well if it were me I wouldnt do much heavy lifting. I work on my running, pushups, situps etc. Remember your going to be working like a 14 hour day so stamina is key you dont want to be carrying around extra muscle.

SEMPER FI

Sounds like you have a plan. If you do feel like things are getting stale, I’d recommend trying some Tabata style weight sessions. I have found that specifically front squats have helped with running (though more for sprint related work than a 3 mile run). If anything, it could help as just being a change of pace for training/conditioning.

-LH

Good point, I agree that carrying too much bulk could be a detriment.

Although I was thinking that it wouldn’t hurt to have some extra muscle when it comes to going on long humps with a full pack, or having some extra leg and arm strength to climb ropes, or carry a wounded buddy ( i think its part of the combat readiness test).

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
Sounds like you have a plan. If you do feel like things are getting stale, I’d recommend trying some Tabata style weight sessions. I have found that specifically front squats have helped with running (though more for sprint related work than a 3 mile run). If anything, it could help as just being a change of pace for training/conditioning.

-LH[/quote]

I hadn’t even thought about throwing in any tabata type training, but I think it could definitly help to try some out. I’m not too sure how much sprinting goes on down there, will talk to my OSO about that, once I have more info I’ll make a decision on front squats.

[quote]njworkoutguy wrote:
Hey guys,

It looks like I’m gonna be heading down to Quantico in September for OCS. Final word hasn’t come out yet but my OSO says my application package looks real good.

Right now I’m a 274 PFTer. 20 pull ups, 90 situps(had a shit day doing them…no excuses), 20:30 3 mile time. Still working my ass off, and hoping to be in the high 280’s or low 290’s on my pre-ship PFT.

My usual week of PT is basically 5-6 days of running alternating between longer runs (5 or 6 miles), shorter runs (2 or 3 miles) and speed work (hills and 400m sprints). Situps and other ab work 4-5 days a week, pull ups 5 days a week, and other Marine Corps type stuff thrown in at my discretion, ie mountain climbers, body builders, etc.

I’d like to incorporate some weight training into my PT, but don’t want to get into a program that will interfere too much with my running training (my goal is to ship with a 3 mile time in the high 18’s or low 19’s). But I love to lift, so if its feasible I want to throw in some weight training.

Anyone who has been to OCS, Boot Camp, or has experience with this type of training please feel free to weigh in I appreciate any and all constructive responses.

Thanks…GET SOME

[/quote]

I’m meeting up with an OSO to potentially go back in as a JAG so I feel you. My recommendation unfortunately is to limit the heavy lifting. It will help for humps which were always hard for me even though I never got below a 293 PFT in my four years, but any size is not going to stay with you until you hit the fleet and even then it depends on your MOS. The more time you spend in the bush the fewer big guys you’re going to run into.

I’m not quite sure how OCS is, but I know that I went into boot camp very well prepared though still a skinny bastard and yet got 20 lbs starved off of me. Infantry school was even worse. That was only 6 weeks for me but TBS is a full 6 months. Any real size you put on is probably not going to be around for long.

The best thing I ever did for my PFT was lots and lots of pyramid workouts. Then add the runs and you’re set. I’d probably throw in some practice 10-15 mile humps as well.

Semper,

mike 2/3, 0352

I’m meeting up with an OSO to potentially go back in as a JAG so I feel you. My recommendation unfortunately is to limit the heavy lifting.

It will help for humps which were always hard for me even though I never got below a 293 PFT in my four years, but any size is not going to stay with you until you hit the fleet and even then it depends on your MOS. The more time you spend in the bush the fewer big guys you’re going to run into.

I’m not quite sure how OCS is, but I know that I went into boot camp very well prepared though still a skinny bastard and yet got 20 lbs starved off of me. Infantry school was even worse. That was only 6 weeks for me but TBS is a full 6 months. Any real size you put on is probably not going to be around for long.

The best thing I ever did for my PFT was lots and lots of pyramid workouts. Then add the runs and you’re set. I’d probably throw in some practice 10-15 mile humps as well.

Semper,

mike 2/3, 0352[/quote]

Right now I use the armstrong program for my pullups and do high rep sets of crunches.

As per everyones advice so far I’ll probably hold off on the heavy lifting and maybe set up a upper body development course in my back yard (pull ups, dips, curls, military press, etc) to do when I come back from my from my runs.

Good luck with getting your OCS Law Contract.

Work the tabatas! That was a great suggestion and I wish I had known about that when going to OCS in '97.

It is a dirty word around here, but check out the Crossfit website and throw in a few of their workouts. It is great GPP and will help your preparation. I used Crossfit successfully when I was a company commander and we saw a signifigant improvement in the PFT scores of my guys.

It will help you get ready for the obstacle course, rope climb, and log runs.
TBS is called “The Body Softener” for a reason. You spend so much time in the field that you actually start to lose muscle and strength, although you can hump all day long and conduct multiple squad attacks.

Good luck at OCS. The new CO there is a tank officer and a warrior, you are in for a good time.

Yeah a lot of the guys over at Marineocs.com are big on cross fit. I’ve also heard good things about the door gym so I may look into one of those so I can do pullups whenever I feel like it. Other than that I think I’m gonna throw tabata in when my regular workouts get a little stale and try to put together an upper body development circuit around my backyard/garage.

Give us an update on how your training worked to prepare you. Most of the people training on this site are bodybuilding or powerlifting, you are working on combat conditioning type training.

Check out Dan John’s stuff for some workouts, try the Litvinovs (another favorite of my Marines) and his stuff on one-arm workouts. Dan John was never in the military, but he might as well have been.

His articles and workout suggestions are the most applicable to your future profession (in my opinion of course). His book, “From the Ground Up” is something I give to all of my Marines.

I honestly hadn’t even thought about using any of Dan John’s stuff, but I’ve always liked one armed training, etc so I can definitly see myself incorporating it.