T Nation

Marinades

Hey guys and gals, this be a thread for discussing marinades and the application to meat thereof. What do you use? What tastes best? Whats a load of crap?
With my weekly budget, i eat 660g of pork loin steak (pig groin meat?) everyday - and that shit gets dry and fossilised the moment it comes into contact with a grill unless i soak it in red wine and black peeper for at least 12hrs beforehand - this is great for keeping it moist all day in a lunchbox at work.

I have tried branded marinades from the market - like a Nandos' BBQ one (do you yanks have this temple of chicken delight?) - and they all fail at flavouring or sofenting meat.
I reckon the secret to a good marinade, is to keep its' consistency thin, so it soaks into the meat better.

I love the chipotle marinade added to chicken breasts.

i never use wet marinades any more. only dry rubs with maybe a little soy or hot sauce.

i recommend you give them a try

My Chinese girlfriend has educated me in the ways of the Orient (and I ain't talking about that movie Sex and Zen! That's for another part of this forum!!!)

Basically for poultry try using this. Best to marinate for at least 3 hours in the fridge, the longer the better. Also fattier cuts yield more taste so chicken thighs are ideal (and much cheaper then breast fillets). Take off the skin, de-bone, and chop into fine strips. For the marinade:

finely chopped/grated garlic and ginger
salt and pepper (ying)
sugar (yang) I substitute with Splenda
soy sauce

For beef and pork, avoid the seasoning. Also try adding some sesame oil to the mix, especially good for minced beef/pork. You don't need to marinate red meat for as long. 2-3 hours is ample.

Fry up the meat on a very high heat in coconut oil. Add chopped spring onion and you have the basics of Chinese cooking. Simple, quick and effective.

I don't really marinade stuff much anymore - while it does add flavor, I never thought it did that much for juiciness (at least for big cuts).

You might want to try brining the pork. Add a cup of salt to a gallon of water and let the meat soak for a few hours/overnight. It's easy to add other things to add flavor, like brown sugar, molasses, bay leaves, garlic, cloves, soy sauce, ginger, thyme etc. One of the things I like using is a few bags of herbal or fruit tea - apple cinnamon goes well with pig. Just remember to give it a rinse before grilling so it's not too salty.

Edit: That's a cup of kosher salt, if you're using table salt, cut to down to 2/3 a cup.

2 cloves chopped garlic
1/4 - !/2 chopped onion
4 table spoons of evoo(extra light)
Quarter cup chopped carrots
1 - 2 cups Speghetti sauce (cause its hard to get 2 servings of veggies in)
1/2 cup and Mixed with some sweet baby rays bbq sauce (original, or pref.)

I've also experimented with italian dressing instead of evoo and its not bad.. mustard mixed in was prety tasty as well.....

Something different to try, with a kick of health.

Have you ever tried salad and BBQ dressings from Walden Farms?? You can use them to marinade, saute meat and on top of salads. The Sesame Ginger is the best. Walden's Farms makes products without sugar, fat, calories, gluten, etc....good when dieting for a contest but they are kind of expensive!!!

I just threw a pork butt in the crockpot this morning with a generic chipotle lime marinade. Crockpot meat always turns out well.

For the grill, I marinate in beer with some Worcestershire sauce, then pull it and do a dry rub. Then sear each side over the hot spot in the fire for a minute or two, then move to the cooler side of the grill and pour a little olive oil on the meat. I usually do this for steaks, but it should work for pork chops as well. (butter can replace olive oil, and it tastes even better)

You use gas, wood, or charcoal?

for pork i like marinating in coffee (cooled) and salt and pepper