Marilyn Monroe

I may get flamed for this one, but I came across this picture, and it just strikes me as a candidate for a powerful image, if only because of when it was taken.

No flames from me mate, I reckon that would look great hanging on the wall of my gym.
But as you can tell, I’m partial to that era.

I’ve never seen that one … got a bit of a V taper happening there. Wonder what she’d be like if she was still around … (or at least, in her old age) … she got a bit tubby there for awhile but started losing it I think.

I wonder how many women that photo inspired in the old days, to lift weights?

It is pretty cool.

I remember seeing that picture on the site before. It might have been in one of Chris’ blogs.

Looks like she was quite the T-Vixen in her day…

Hey I have that as a full sized poster in my room, now that was a georgeous woman

She was a size 12. Today’s icons are a size 0. Interesting…

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
[/quote]

Not to mention that you can see her ribs. I like the photo, only things that bother me is that her dumbbells were so light and she looked like her wrists were cocked forward. Something that a teenager learning the bench press would do.

Her measurements:
Height: 5 feet, 5? inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D

We can probably assume her waist was that tiny when she was at the lighter end of the scale.

Are those weights just photo props, or did she actually lift?

[quote]SBB wrote:
Her measurements:
Height: 5 feet, 5? inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D

We can probably assume her waist was that tiny when she was at the lighter end of the scale.

[/quote]

5ft 5 and a D cup. Hell yeah!

Seriously. I wish that actresses these days looked more like her. There are a few that do, but you gotta look for them, because they sure as hell don’t make it onto those celebrity-roundup shows.

Anyone remember Liz Hurley’s “If I were as fat as MM, I’d kill myself”?

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, she’s still smokin’ today in my opinion. Weren’t the 40’s and 50’s grand? (At least in my nostalgic view having never been there…)

The one thing about her size 12, though, is that size 12 today and size 12 back then are two totally different things. Just to be sure, I consulted my wife who sometimes will buy a vintage dress. A 12 then is probably more like a 6 or 8 today. (I don’t wear dresses–honest!)

But if you put up Marilyn against Jessica Simpson or Paris Hilton of today, it’s Marilyn every time. And she didn’t have the help of all the plastic and silicone!!!

[quote]awesomepossom wrote:
Jillybop wrote:
she didn’t have the help of all the plastic and silicone!!![/quote]

Except for her nose, but hell yeah, she was hot.

[quote]T-Bone81 wrote:
I may get flamed for this one, but I came across this picture, and it just strikes me as a candidate for a powerful image, if only because of when it was taken.[/quote]

Great picture. Thanks for posting it.

[quote]SBB wrote:
[/quote]

She lifted. Not hardcore, obviously, but she did. A lot of Hollywood types did, but because of the stigma against weightlifting, they denied it in public.

Heston was put through basic programs so that he’d have some muscle for those shirtless shots – but it was never mentioned because somehow men were supposed to look manly without lifting weights. And yet when DeMille was considering Reeves for the part of Samson, he demanded that the youth lose 20 pounds of muscle (!!!) because he looked “too muscular” to play one of the icons of strength. Instead Victor Mature got the role, and so spent months sucking in his gut.

But, yeah, Monroe trained. From the look of her she’d have had great genetics for figure competition. natural V-taper, good bone structure, good natural musculature. In a different era she could have been remarkable, but as much as modern women may have to struggle against gender bias in pursuing their own strength goals, it was an entirely different playing field in the 1940’s and 50’s. Not only was the status of women vastly different, but so was the public perception of the iron game.

i got that poster framed and hanging next to my power rack at home

I started a thread a short time ago extolling the looks of women with more curves than stars of today.

I think Marilyn is the epitome of sexiness. It oozes from just about every professional photo I’ve seen.

And a close second is Bettie Page.

Maybe “Pin-Up” girls will male a comeback?

Bettie Page

[quote]T-Bone81 wrote:
I may get flamed for this one, but I came across this picture, and it just strikes me as a candidate for a powerful image, if only because of when it was taken.[/quote]

No flame here. I have never seen this photo before. She definitely was a classic beauty. Thank you for sharing the photo.

[quote]T-Bone81 wrote:

Hottest chick in Hollywood. Ever.