T Nation

Marijuana Withdrawal

Never knew it existed until I stopped smoking it. After heavy use for the last 2.5 years I decided to quit cold turkey.

Right now im regretting my decision. I feel like vomiting off and on all day. My hands are dripping wet. I have no desire to eat at all. (I’ve lost 6 lbs in 2days.)My body also cant regulate temp it seems. Im hot for a few mins the cold for a few. Not to mention I’ve taken herbal sleep aids+tylenol pm and still can’t sleep worth shit.

Anyone else going/gone through this???

Is there anything I can do to ease these effects?

I just want to SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!! I don’t know how long I can go without decent sleep before I snap.

Jack off.

Kratom would greatly improve your mood. Seroquel would be quite good to treat the restlessness, and get you to sleep. It could help with the nausea as well.

If the symptoms aren’t improving pretty soon, and you can’t take the pain, start the weed again, get the medication you need from a doctor or online, and then try quitting again.

Bacopa monnieri. Mmmmmmm. Like weed when it comes to relaxation, but you get smarter and can use it all day long. Allright you won’t get glued to the chair with it so it makes you a more valued member of society and much more productive. Give it a try.

funmetal

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Kratom would greatly improve your mood. Seroquel would be quite good to treat the restlessness, and get you to sleep. It could help with the nausea as well.

If the symptoms aren’t improving pretty soon, and you can’t take the pain, start the weed again, get the medication you need from a doctor or online, and then try quitting again.[/quote]

Good advice, although I’d strongly recommend you go to a doc instead of choosing your own medication. Definitely stay away from the OTC sleep aids, caffiene or alcohol - they will actually make things worse.

Easiest plan is just to last a couple more days. Tough it out unless you are going to lose your job or something similar. If you have to start back up, make a plan to taper.

I thought weed wasn’t addictive.

Yea I’ve gone through that wonderful experience. The sleeplessness is the absolute worst. Getting a little drunk (or a lot if your prefer) always got me to bed. The sleep that night is well worth the hangover the next day. The most recent time I quit I had some tussionex (a codeine suspension) left from when I had been sick and that stuff knocked me out cold. No experience with sleeping aids so I can’t speak as to the efficacy of those.

[quote]Otep wrote:
I thought weed wasn’t addictive.[/quote]

If you are a recreational smoker, then no it isn’t. Every time I’ve smoked heavily for more than a few months I’ve had sleeplessness for about 3 days after quitting and a bit of nausea (particularly when working out). Haven’t really experienced the other issues the OP mentioned.

Sorry, but this is the dumbest damn thread I’ve ever read. I’ve been smoking for about six years now, the last three heavy, the last one and a half EXTREMELY heavy (at least once a day, every day, usually keeping it under 5 times.)

I recently stopped - and you know what happened?

Nothing! I was less high all the time.

Sounds like your mental dependence of marijuana is transcending into your physical lamentations - because there is no physical addiction. At all.

For sleep? Try melatonin. Marijuana releases plenty of it as well - so it’d be a smooth cross over.

uh, well isn’t chemically addictive… but I’ve heard having and excessive amount for a long period, can cause serious damage to your brain.

There is no mental dependence, just physical. Everyone has different brain chemistry and certain people will become addicted easier to different substances.

If you look at SPECT scans of the brain, different people will have different levels of activity in different parts of their brains and be more or less prone to addiction or abuse of various substances.

No offence but it’s not physically addictive.

It’s all in your head dude.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Kratom would greatly improve your mood.[/quote]

I did a quick search on this and found about 100000000000 different kratom products ranging in price from 79 cents -$1,399.50.

Im assuming you’ve used this before, what type of product did you use? I see powders, crushed leaves, pills, liquids. Not to mention there is like 8 different options for each of those categories.

[quote]funmetal wrote:
Bacopa monnieri. Mmmmmmm. Like weed when it comes to relaxation, but you get smarter and can use it all day long. Allright you won’t get glued to the chair with it so it makes you a more valued member of society and much more productive. Give it a try.

funmetal[/quote]

Got some on the way, thanks for the advice.

IF you did a bunch of messed up things while you where high. And now off the weed, you will have alot of emotional pain, anger among other things. It could be hard to sleep at night, and some of the decisions you made while high might cause you to be paranoid.

So it is real. If the guy was smoking every day, where there was weed in his system every single day for a long time - the world is going to look different to him and act different to him.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
IF you did a bunch of messed up things while you where high. And now off the weed, you will have alot of emotional pain, anger among other things. It could be hard to sleep at night, and some of the decisions you made while high might cause you to be paranoid.

So it is real. If the guy was smoking every day, where there was weed in his system every single day for a long time - the world is going to look different to him and act different to him.[/quote]

LOL X 1,000,000

I take it you’ve never smoked weed? Or at least more than five times? Oh noes! I’m going to have some wicked withdrawals from WEED!

For a message board that cries foul with all of the misinformation of steroids being thrown around, there’s a lot of people that speak freely about marijuana like they actually know what they’re talking about.

I smoked weed every day in college, every day for about two years straight.

Some times multiple hits in a day. I found I had to even take tests high, because I did my studying HIGH.

I quit cold turkey, for me it was alot of emotional pain, because I did alot of stupid shit that came back on me. So I was mad.

And it was hard to sleep at first.

It depends on the person, because I’ve heard this from others.

I also know every day weed smokers who will say I’m full of shit. They still haven’t taken my 30 day challenge of not being high.

TSB

[quote]SSC wrote:
Sorry, but this is the dumbest damn thread I’ve ever read. I’ve been smoking for about six years now, the last three heavy, the last one and a half EXTREMELY heavy (at least once a day, every day, usually keeping it under 5 times.)

I recently stopped - and you know what happened?

Nothing! I was less high all the time.

Sounds like your mental dependence of marijuana is transcending into your physical lamentations - because there is no physical addiction. At all.

For sleep? Try melatonin. Marijuana releases plenty of it as well - so it’d be a smooth cross over.[/quote]

You sir, are lucky.
http://www.steadyhealth.com/Marijuana_withdrawls__insomnia-t65741-0-asc-0.html

There is 4 pages of people going through the exact same things I am +more. Some of which were so bad they went to the hospital.

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/display/article/10168/54701?pageNumber=3
Here is study by Elena M. Kouri, Ph.D assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School

One more study:
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/161/11/1967

“In summary, several well-controlled inpatient studies repeatedly confirmed that abstinence effects such as irritability, weight loss, and sleep difficulty occur reliably. It is noteworthy that these studies controlled for potential confounders by using placebo conditions and excluding persons who abused other substances, had an active psychiatric disorder, or were taking psychoactive medication.”

Weed is a pain killer. Any decisions made which would have normally bothered you, will registered when your not high.