T Nation

Marijuana To Control Alcohol Abuse

A new research effort has a provocative outcome as University of California-Berkeley researchers suggest substituting cannabis for treatment of heavy alcohol abuse.

Research published in BioMed Centralâ??s open access Harm Reduction Journal features a poll of 350 cannabis users, finding that 40 percent used cannabis to control their alcohol cravings, 66 percent as a replacement for prescription drugs and 26 percent for other, more potent illegal drugs.

Amanda Reiman carried out the study at the UC-Berkeley Patientâ??s Group, a medical cannabis dispensary.

She said, â??Substituting cannabis for alcohol has been described as a radical alcohol treatment protocol. This approach could be used to address heavy alcohol use in the British Isles - people might substitute cannabis, a potentially safer drug than alcohol with less negative side effects, if it were socially acceptable and available.â??

Reiman found that 65 percent of people reported using cannabis as a substitute because it has fewer adverse side effects than alcohol, illicit or prescription drugs, 34 percent because it has less withdrawal potential and 57.4 percent because cannabis provides better symptom management.

Reiman believes this discovery brings up two important points.

â??First, self-determination, the right of an individual to decide which treatment or substance is most effective and least harmful for them. Secondly, the recognition that substitution might be a viable alternative to abstinence for those who canâ??t or wonâ??t completely stop using psychoactive substances.â??

Speaking about legalization of cannabis, Reiman added, â??The economic hardship of the Great Depression helped bring about the end of alcohol prohibition. Now, as we are again faced with economic struggles, the U.S. is looking to marijuana as a potential revenue generator.

â??Public support is rising for the legalization of recreational use and remains high for the use of marijuana as a medicine. The hope is that this interest will translate into increased research support and the removal of current barriers to conducting such research, such as the Schedule I/Class B status of marijuana.â??

I think i’ll use meth to control my cocaine habit.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

FUCK YEAH

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

Agreed …but I need some mdma to control my herion addiction! Any chance of that?

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

Do you really put marijuana on the same level as meth?

I don’t see too many people going into rehab for marijuana.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
imhungry wrote:

I don’t see too many people going into rehab for marijuana.[/quote]

Of course not, X. I’ve loved them both when I was younger.

It was an exaggeration. A joke.

imhungry wrote:

Couldn’t find the clip I was looking for, so here is a somewhat related one.

I was looking for the one with Bob Saget in rehab.

but how is that possible? Then won’t they get hooked on PCP and meth and…(insert inane gateway drug argument).

I have seen some really intelligent and talented people completely waste their gifts because they rather just get high all the time. Its not the weed but damn, I hate seeing people waste their gifts.

I’ve seen people using this for quite a while.

Maybe now it is being researched and documented as therapeutic, but a good many people have stumbled upon this conclusion themselves.

In my opinion, It does increase their quality of life to some degree compared to being a drop dead active alcoholic, but unless they work on their coping skills, eventually the result is the same.

An inability to cope with life is the same no matter what substance you use to do it.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Meh. I still think GHB has far more favourable benefit:risk ratio for alcohol addiction.

BBB[/quote]

I thought GHB was just as addictive or more addictive than alcohol. Its like methadone as a ‘treatment’ for heroin addiction, you’re not treating anything and continuing the cycle of addiction. I could be wrong on this.

Also marijuana seems a whole lot less harmful than a lot of other drugs, including alcohol and ghb, and I’m glad its finally starting to be studied more and becoming an accepted treatment for certain conditions.

I’m particularly interested in the studies of Ibogaine for dangerous addictions, http://www.maps.org/ibogaine/ . I’m not sure what the mechanism of action is and they are studying it. I want to know if there is an actual biochemical interaction at receptor sites or are addicts literally scared sober.

If you’ve never heard of this drug, it is pretty wild, and one of the ones I’m pretty sure I would never have the courage to do.

This guy has the biggest balls in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGG3EMAfqhE

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I have seen some really intelligent and talented people completely waste their gifts because they rather just get high all the time. Its not the weed but damn, I hate seeing people waste their gifts.
[/quote]

I think I could do well as a competitive eater. I’m chasing my dreams, mannnnn.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

It’s a fairly common court order.

And I don’t see how pot would help you quit drinking. Weed is a totally different drug, and much more boring in my opinion. In fact, I used alcoholism to overcome my weed addiction.

Nah, joking. I stopped smoking pot, and smoking anything, actually. When your health teacher told you pot’s a gateway drug, it wasn’t all bullshit. Using it to come off of another drug just seems dumb.

[quote]Artem wrote:
When your health teacher told you pot’s a gateway drug, it wasn’t all bullshit. [/quote]

I know a shitton of people who smoke weed, and fuck all have gotten into heavy drugs from it, nor have they ever expressed the desire. Myself included.

That “gateway” drug thing IS bullshit.

I DO know of quite a few people who have tried harder drugs under the influence of alcohol. Coke, mainly.

Fuck that noise.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]Artem wrote:
When your health teacher told you pot’s a gateway drug, it wasn’t all bullshit. [/quote]

I know a shitton of people who smoke weed, and fuck all have gotten into heavy drugs from it, nor have they ever expressed the desire. Myself included.

That “gateway” drug thing IS bullshit.

I DO know of quite a few people who have tried harder drugs under the influence of alcohol. Coke, mainly.

Fuck that noise.[/quote]
And I know quite a few that did. I’m obviously not speaking for everyone. That’s not even the point; the point’s that the idea of using pot to help cure alcoholism is silly.