T Nation

Marijuana for Medicinal Purposes

I have been diagnosed with severe sleep disorder being only able to get 3-4 hours of broken sleep. This has gone on for 8 years. My mother has had the same for years. I have had prescriptions for Ambient, Lunesta, ect… none have worked.

Until a friend of mine who is 68years old told me about the medical benefits of medical marijuana. He uses it for chronic pain of the back and it has help him tremendously with moderate use of the green. I have been taking 2-3 hits of the green before going to bed and it has been the only thing that has helped me get up to 8 hours of solid sleep.

I do this 3-4 days a week only at night and only 2-3 hits. I train with weights 4 days a week total body core lifts and do HIIT cardio training 3 days a week. The extra sleep has definitely helped me in my training. Would there be anything wrong in continuing this moderate intake of Marijuana?

I would think the benefits of the extra sleep would far outweigh any negative side effects of the marijuana. Especially with only so little of it.

[quote]T-Warrior wrote:
I have been diagnosed with severe sleep disorder being only able to get 3-4 hours of broken sleep. This has gone on for 8 years. My mother has had the same for years. I have had prescriptions for Ambient, Lunesta, ect… none have worked.

Until a friend of mine who is 68years old told me about the medical benefits of medical marijuana. He uses it for chronic pain of the back and it has help him tremendously with moderate use of the green. I have been taking 2-3 hits of the green before going to bed and it has been the only thing that has helped me get up to 8 hours of solid sleep.

I do this 3-4 days a week only at night and only 2-3 hits. I train with weights 4 days a week total body core lifts and do HIIT cardio training 3 days a week. The extra sleep has definitely helped me in my training. Would there be anything wrong in continuing this moderate intake of Marijuana?[/quote]

I’m in the same boat but I use ambien and over the counter sleep aids. I used to sleep great when I smoked pot then I quit when I was 24, (I’m 32) and now I don’t sleep as well. I know a bunch of guys with prescriptions but I don’t know if they got legitimate medical resons. Just understand it is addictive.

Weed rules. I’m with Joe Rogan on this one. I don’t smoke it anymore but I will when I get older.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Just understand it is addictive. [/quote]

It isn’t chemically addictive. Caffeine is more “addictive” than marijuana.

[quote]SWR wrote:
I would think the benefits of the extra sleep would far outweigh any negative side effects of the marijuana. Especially with only so little of it. [/quote]

Exactly. There really isn’t nothing else left to say.

I imagine, though, some idiot will log in to post: “Marijuana lowers testosterone.” It’s like people can only focus on one variable at a time.

lowers testosterone. feminises men. makes men and women more “pretty” in my opinion. reduces acne. in short, all the things you would expect from lowered test including worse protein synth … also tends to kill ambition.

seems to make ~some~ people psychotic after years of use. psychotic is perhaps a strong word but it really turns some people into f42cking nuts with bad personality disorders. The percentage seems to be quite small.

I am 100% in favour of it being legal for medicine because for some people it is the only pain relief available. To make it illegal for then is a crime against humanity.

I would try to find other ways to get over your sleep disorder. There are many, do a search.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

get a volcano:

http://www.storz-bickel.com/

wikipedia:

at the very least you will save your lungs, throat, and mouth.

there is possibility of changes in your brain. whether this is positive or not is an open question.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Hagar wrote:
Just understand it is addictive.

It isn’t chemically addictive. Caffeine is more “addictive” than marijuana.[/quote]

It is physically addictive to a small degree. Withdrawal symptoms can make it hard for long-term marijuana smokers to stop using.

People trying to quit report irritability, difficulty sleeping, and anxiety. They also display increased aggression on psychological tests, peaking approximately 1 week after they last used. I also know from personal experience, although its nothing compared to alcohol, opiate or benzodiazepine withdrawal.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
get a volcano:

http://www.storz-bickel.com/

wikipedia:

at the very least you will save your lungs, throat, and mouth.

there is possibility of changes in your brain. whether this is positive or not is an open question.[/quote]

For $669.00 that thing should grow pot, load itself and blow you while you smoke.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
also tends to kill ambition.[/quote]

Spoken like someone who has never seen the world. I can always spot the people who have stared at nothing but corn fields their entire lives. You should get out more.

Come to California, where you can smoke pot with the uber rich techies in Northern California, or with the rich in the film and sales industries in Southern California.

If you have ambition, mary jane won’t destroy it. If you’re a loser, well, you would have been that way even without the m.j.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Hagar wrote:
Just understand it is addictive.

I would say it’s ‘habitual’ but technically not addictive.

I used to smoke it all the time back in the day, and I never found it to be physically addictive, and neither did any of my friends.

As to the health benefits, my next door neighbour smokes it for her multiple sclerosis.

Bushy[/quote]

The lid has been blown off pot’s popularity … or, at least dispelled the myth that pot isn’t harmful. Boomers who use marijuana for a number of years can become addicted, say researchers at the University of Connecticut Health Center (UCHC). The UCHC study is investigating the characteristics of 130 long term pot smokers who are participating in a three year research project.

Investigators said that when these marijuana smokers aren’t using pot, they have a strong craving for it. They think about it. They want it. When they aren’t using it they get jittery, restless, and irritable. “It’s a common thread that contradicts the widespread assumption that pot is not addictive,” said Ronald Kadden, Ph.D., Health Center professor of psychiatry and the study’s principal investigator.

“What the participants tell us is they didn’t know how hooked they were until they tried to quit.” It’s a vicious cycle. Because you become tolerant, you need to smoke more to achieve the desired effect, says Dr. Kadden. “The more you smoke, the more you need to smoke. The more you need to smoke, the more you need to stop,” he said.

Researchers and health professionals have long maintained that marijuana is psychologically addictive. Research shows that marijuana is also physically addictive, although withdrawal effects are not as debilitating as with alcohol, heroin, cocaine, amphetamine or barbiturate dependence. Users who are familiar with the severe effects of physical addiction to other drugs tend to believe their marijuana use is optional and elective. That’s simply not the case.

The psychological and physical addiction of the long term pot smokers interferes with leading a normal life because they can’t cope or function adequately without marijuana. Dr. Kadden’s study, which began in 1997, is a three-year project consisting of 130 subjects with an average age of 36, and an age range from the teens to late 50s. The subjects come from all walks of life, the unemployed to the six-figure manager, men and women alike.
Source: University of Connecticut Health Center
AgeVenture News Service, www.demko.com

4:00 in the morning and I still can’t sleep. WTF I’m getting tempted. My mind justs starts going off. EERRRGG

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Investigators said that when these marijuana smokers aren’t using pot, they have a strong craving for it. They think about it. They want it. When they aren’t using it they get jittery, restless, and irritable. “It’s a common thread that contradicts the widespread assumption that pot is not addictive,” said Ronald Kadden, Ph.D., Health Center professor of psychiatry and the study’s principal investigator.
[/quote]

I get the same when I don’t get any nookie. Does that mean sex is addictive?

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Hagar wrote:

I get the same when I don’t get any nookie. Does that mean sex is addictive?
[/quote]

HA! You can also say the same about food and not going to the gym.

Thanks for all the opinions you guys. Keep them coming!

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Magarhe wrote:
also tends to kill ambition.

Spoken like someone who has never seen the world. I can always spot the people who have stared at nothing but corn fields their entire lives. You should get out more.

Come to California, where you can smoke pot with the uber rich techies in Northern California, or with the rich in the film and sales industries in Southern California.

If you have ambition, mary jane won’t destroy it. If you’re a loser, well, you would have been that way even without the m.j.[/quote]

I agree with your last point however your first point is the point of an idiot. Haven’t seen the world? you have got to be fucking joking.

Or maybe you can’t read - I said a small percentage.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
lowers testosterone. feminises men. makes men and women more “pretty” in my opinion. reduces acne. in short, all the things you would expect from lowered test including worse protein synth … also tends to kill ambition.

[/quote]

Bullshit, bullshit, and more bullshit. Thanks for playing!

P.S. Pretty??? Are you kidding me? How are we supposed to take your opinion seriously when you say smoking weed makes people pretty?