T Nation

Marijuana: Class One Anabolic Supreme?

Heard this at my place of employment yesterday. One of the Mexicans made a serious comment to our foreman that dope makes you stronger. As he explained further, down there very few businesses can afford to own forklifts, so its common for business owners to hire a couple of teams of guys who just do all the heavy loading/unloading of trucks and such.

Apparantly, these teams smoke weed all day long believing it to give them the power and strength to handle the job. The guy telling us this was insistant that it didn't make a difference to the person's size, as average-sized people could and commonly were on these teams, as long as they were high they could lift as much as anyone. While I believe him, I find the real irony here that the people of a country that allows anabolics to flow like wine use weed of all things to empower their labor for heavy manual lifting.

On a side note, this guy also used to work for a pharmacuetical company down there, and shared a story of one of the workers failing to use gloves while transporting buckets of female hormones and getting a serious case of gyno after a few short weeks as a result.

any well-fed, pre-andropause, grown man has the strength to lift heavy shit. the ganj prolly just makes them calmer so it's easier to do repetitive tasks, and relieves aches or what would become aches from lifting repetitively.

if ganj actually made someone stronger we'd already know about it.

Bullshit.. I smoke and I know for 100% that it hampers my workouts and lowers my intensity and drive and I smoke 3 times a week..Although I do know some who smoke before and after workouts Im positive that it is all in their head..
Beside marijuana raises your estrogen levels and lowers testosterone levels in people who smoke daily..

Plus it probably makes them eat more, which might indirectly help if all the exercise causes them to add muscle as a result.

I think the high activity level would be required to offset the negative effects.

I'm sorry, but if you actually believe anything this guy told you, you are - what Mexicans would call - un burro.

Jeez guys I thought it was kinda funny. I know it doesn't make you stronger, I meant I believed this sort of thing goes on. My co-worker is not a BS'r, just telling us what goes on and his understanding of it. Doesn't anyone else see the humor in this?

Prove this.

You are a Doctor, right? do you have more info on this that you aren't sharing?

I my search for proof im finding conflicting answers and research..any answers yourself?
Personally being a user myself I would say it does...

Long-term effects of using marijuana include:

Enhanced cancer risk

Decrease in testosterone levels and lower sperm counts for men

Increase in testosterone levels for women and increased risk of infertility

Diminished or extinguished sexual pleasure

Psychological dependence requiring more of the drug to get the same effect

http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/effects-of-marijuana.htm

Another false claim states that marijuana lowers male testosterone levels. This claim is a scare tactic that is still widely used by the United States government. The hope is to scare boys/young men into believing that marijuana use would "turn" them into women.

Low testosterone levels are associated with underdevelopment of the growing male body, a higher pitched voice, and slight breast enlargement. This theory has been challenged/refuted by several studies: Block, 1991; Mendelson et al., 1974; Coggins et al., 1976 (3).

http://www.sex-project.com/marijuana-and-sex.shtml

What are the long-term effects of using marijuana?

impairments in learning, memory, perception, and judgment
some people experience paranoia, hallucinations, intense anxiety, panic attacks- psychological dependence requiring more of the drug to get the same effect
paranoia
increased risk of chronic pulmonary disorders, including cancer (lung/mouth), emphysema, increase in testosterone levels for women
decrease in testosterone levels for men
lower sperm levels in men
increased risk of infertility in both men and women
diminishing or extinguished sexual pleasure
decreased social inhibitions and exposure to risky situations

http://health.rutgers.edu/brochures/marijuana.htm

Only that I haven't read any recent studies leading to that conclusion. That doesn't mean there aren't any, however, most people base what they know about marijuana on propaganda and myth. In my opinion, it should have been legalized for medical use decades ago.

There is a huge difference between an article and a peer reviewed scientific study.

Im looking for more sights and listen Im not against marijuana Im all for it, medical and social. 2 things first: when has a man ever got high and beat his wife..or who was high and got into a bar fight or streetfight....doesnt happen

I say make marijuana legal and ban alcohol...Also it cured my insomnia after 2 years of trying everything...I began smoking and slept 14 hours the first night after 2 years of 2-3 hour nights

3) NEW STUDY FINDS POT DOESN'T LOWER TESTOSTERONE

A new study by Dr. Robert Block at the University of
Iowa disputes the commonly held notion that marijuana alters
the level of testosterone and other sex hormones.

The study contradicted a widely publicized 1974 study
by Dr. R.C. Kolodony, which reported decreased testosterone
levels in men who smoked marijuana chronically.

The U. of Iowa study found that chronic marijuana use
had no effect on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle
stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men or women.

Noting that six other studies had failed to show
lowered testosterone levels in men, Dr. Block concluded: "It
appears that marijuana, even heavy use of the kind that's
typical in the United States, doesn't alter testosterone levels."

However, he cautioned that heavy use might have other
adverse effects, including "possible effects on reproductive
function and mild, selective cognitive impairments associated
with heavy, chronic use."

Block's study is published in Drug and Alcohol
Dependence, Vol. 28: 121-8 (1991).

http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/marijuana/facts/3-mj-myths

Title: Marijuana extracts possess the effects like the endocrine disrupting chemicals.
Author(s): Watanabe K; Motoya E; Matsuzawa N; Funahashi T; Kimura T; Matsunaga T; Arizono K; Yamamoto I
Author's Address: Department of Hygienic Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokuriku University, Ho-3 Kanagawa-machi, Kanazawa 920-1181, Japan. k-watanabe@hokuriku-u.ac.jp
Source: Toxicology. [Toxicology] 2005 Jan 31; Vol. 206 (3), pp. 471-8.

Abstract: The progesterone 17alpha-hydroxylase activity, which is one of the steroidogenic enzymes in rat testis microsomes, was significantly inhibited by crude marijuana extracts from Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA)- and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA)-strains. Delta(9)-Tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabidiol and cannabinol also inhibited the enzymatic activity with relatively higher concentration (100-1000 microM).

Testosterone 6beta- and 16alpha-hydroxylase activities together with androstenedione formation from testosterone in rat liver microsomes were also significantly inhibited by the crude marijuana extracts and the cannabinoids. Crude marijuana extracts (1 and 10 microg/ml) of THCA strain stimulated the proliferation of MCF-7 cells, although the purified cannabinoids (THC, CBD and CBN) did not show significant effects, such as the extract at the concentration of 0.01-1000 nM.

These results indicate that there are some metabolic interactions between cannabinoid and steroid metabolism and that the constituents showing estrogen-like activity exist in marijuana.

This is, of course, just a recent study. Scores of studies throughout the 80s and 90s have shown a similar effect.

Based on anectotal (my observations) evidence- When I smoked weed I was weak and lacked drive. When I quit, I got a lot stronger and became more ambitious. The people that worked below me that smoked were weak and had no drive. They got fired.

Also, I find it hard to believe that a pharmaceuticly pure substance that is supposed to be manufactured in a sterile environment and intended for human consumption would be caried around in splashing buckets. Your man might not be a bullshitter, but then again, he might be. He may also have grown bitch tits from smokin all that weed.

You have never seen the side of it that I have. Have someone steal a few thousand dollars worth from you and then tell me you don't want them dead.

The ugly shit doesn't happen at the street level. It happens a little further up the chain. Legalizing it might help in that regard, but the argument that no one gets hurt is bullshit from too many angles.

BRO ITS MEXICO! theres no guidelines...lol

Its not bullshit think alittle garder if it was legal it would be regulated and sold in stores just like beer so there would be no bad side no "other level" THERE WOULD BE NO OTHER ANGLES
it would be just like budweiser..no dealers no growers no robberies and wouldn't need 2 thousand dollars...lol

and by the way if someone robbed you your obviously not big enough..

On what mindeffer01 wrote:

and by the way the only reason you got robbed is because you weigh 160 lbs..lol

" Bullshit.. I smoke and I know for 100% that it hampers my workouts and lowers my intensity and drive and I smoke 3 times a week"

I can't really find the words to express how I feel about this statement.

god damn potheads.