Marijuana as Ergogenic Aid?

ITT: OP tries to defend his addiction by claiming that it could possibly help his lifting.

[quote]Xab wrote:
ITT: OP tries to defend his addiction by claiming that it could possibly help his lifting. [/quote]

What’s ITT?
And my use doesn’t qualify as an addiction…

Addiction:definition-

In medical terminology, an addiction is a state in which the body depends on a substance for normal functioning and may occur along with physical dependence, as in drug addiction. When the drug or substance on which someone is dependent is suddenly removed, it will cause withdrawal, a characteristic set of signs and symptoms. Addiction is generally associated with increased drug tolerance.

From Marijuanahempworld.com-

Marijuana To Help Asthma Sufferers
The Claim:
Its impossible to help someone who is having a asthma attack with marijuana smoke, not to mention helping them breathe easier.

The Facts:
More than 15 million Americans are affected by asthma. Smoking cannabis (The “raw drug” as the AMA called it) would be beneficial for 80% of them and add 30-60 million person-years in the aggregate of extended life to current asthmatics over presently legal toxic medicines such as the Theophylline prescribed to children.

“Taking a hit of marijuana has been known to stop a full blown asthma attack.” Personal communication with Dr. Donald Tashkin, December 12, 1989 and December 1, 1997. The use of cannabis for asthmatics goes back thousands of years in literature. American doctors of the last century wrote glowing reports in medical papers that asthma sufferers of the world would “bless” Indian hemp (cannabis) all their lives.

The inhalation of cannabis smoke causes bronchial dilation lasting up to one hour. The bronchodilator effect of orally injested THC lasts up to six hours, but is not so powerful as smoking cannabis. THC aerosols are not as effective as smoking cannabis because aerosolized THC has an irritating effect on the air passages.

THC in a micoaerosol has proved to be up to 60 percent effective as a bronchodilator, with minimal mental effects and no parasympathetic effects. Other research demonstrates that THC defends against the encroachment of emphysema and suppresses coughing. Cannabis has been used sucessfully in the treatment of whooping cough.

Today, of the 16 million American asthma sufferers, only those living in California, Arizona and Nevada, with a doctor’s recommendation can legally grow and use cannabis medicines, even though it is generally the most effective treatment for asthma.

From Marijuanahempworld.com

Marijuana Is A Lung Cleaner And Expectorant
The Facts:

Cannabis is the best natural expectorant to clear the human lungs of smog, dust and the phlegm associated with tobacco use.

Marijuana smoke effectively dilates the airways to the lungs, the bronchi, opening them to allow more oxygen into the lungs. It is the best natural dilator of the tiny airways of the lungs, the bronchial tubes - making cannabis the best overall bronchial dilator for 80% of the population (the remaining 20% sometimes show minor negative reactions).

Statistical evidence showing up consistently as anomalies in matched populations indicates that people will live longer if they smoke cannabis moderately.

Millions of Americans have given up or avoided smoking tobacco products in favor of cannabis, which is not good news to the powerful tobacco lobby-Senator Jesse Helms and his cohorts. A turn-of-the-century grandfather clause in U.S. tobacco law allows 400 to 6,000 additional chemicals to be added. Additions since then to the average tobacco cigarette are unknown, and the public in the U.S. has no right to know what they are.

Many joggers and marathon runners feel cannabis use cleans their lungs, allowing better endurance.

The evidence indicates that cannabis use will probably increase American marijuana users’ lives by about 1 to 2 years yet they may lose their rights, property, children, state licenses,etc.

Shit gets deeper…

Cannabis Smoking Not Linked To Lung Cancer, Case-Control Study Says

May 24, 2006-San Diego,CA: Smoking cannabis, even long-term, is not positively associated with increased incidence of lung-cancer, according to the findings of the largest population-based case-control study performed to date. Lead investigator Donald Tashkin of the David Geffen School of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, at the University of California-Los Angeles, presented the results this week at the 2006 International Conference of the American Thoracic Society in San Diego.

Investigators assessed the possible association between cannabis use and the risk of lung cancer in middle-aged adults (ages 18-59) living in Los Angeles. Researchers conducted interviews with 611 subjects with lung cancer and 1,040 controls matched for age, gender and neighborhood. Data was collected on lifetime marijuana use, as well as subjects’ use of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, diet, occupation, and family history of cancer. Investigators used a logistical regression model to estimate the effect of cannabis smoking on lung cancer risk, adjusting for age, gender, ethnicity, education, and cumulative tobacco smoking and alcohol use.

“We did not observe a positive association of marijuana use – even heavy long-term use – with lung cancer, controlling for tobacco smoking and other potential cofounders,” investigators concluded. Their data further revealed that one subset of moderate lifetime users (10-<30 “joint years”) actually had an inverse association between cannabis use and lung cancer. The study did report a 20-fold increased risk in heavy tobacco smokers.

Investigators also did not report a positive association between cannabis use and increased incidence of upper aerodigestive tract (UAT) cancers. The five-year trial was sponsored by the US National Institutes of Health (NIH).

NORML Senior Policy Analyst Paul Armentano said that Tashkin’s findings reaffirm the results of prior case-control studies dismissing a causal link between cannabis use and certain types of lung and upper aerodigestive tract (UAT) cancers. These include: a 2001 John Hopkins University hospital-based case-control study that found neither “lifetime use” nor “ever use” of cannabis were associated with head, neck or lung cancer in younger adults; a 2004 University of Washington case-control study that found “no association” between cannabis use and incidents of oral cancer, regardless of how long, how much or how often individuals had used it; and a 1997 Kaiser Permanente retrospective cohort study that found that cannabis use was not associated with increased risks of developing tobacco-use related cancers of the lung and upper aerodigestive tract or other cancers in men and women who used marijuana but did not smoke tobacco.

“The most remarkable aspect of this study is that its findings are, in fact, unremarkable,” Armentano said. “As has been previously reported by the US Institute of Medicine and others, there is no conclusive evidence that marijuana causes cancer in humans, including those cancers generally related to tobacco use.”

Armentano suggested that cannabis consumers who desire the rapid onset of action associated with inhalation but who are concerned about the potential harms of noxious smoke can dramatically cut down on their intake of carcinogenic compounds by engaging in vaporization rather than smoking.

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Senior Policy Analyst, at (202) 483-5500. Additional information on cannabis and cancer is available in NORML’s report, “Cannabis Smoke and Cancer: Assessing the Risk,” available online at:

The main positive effect I get from cannabis with regard to training is that while I’m high, I can flex everything and flex it harder. I can flex all sorts of odd places on my back while I’m high that I can’t willfully activate without a good warmup while I’m sober. I can also flex my chest what seems like twice as hard while I’m high.

Unfortunately, weed makes me lazy, so it’s bad for pre-workout.

Can I buy some pot from one of ya’ll? I just go a volcano, I’ll let you use it

sob…

If i HAD to choose only one pharmacological aid for the rest of my life, cannabis would be it.

[quote]Ace Rimmer wrote:
Arnie denied taking the drug.In his defense,it doesn’t look like he was inhaling or inhaling MUCH in that clip,it may have been peer pressure,it looked to me like he was trying to fit in or show off-I included it for comedy value mostly,but who knows? Governor Arnold was also quoted recently as saying ‘Marijuana is not a drug,it’s just a leaf’…[/quote]

Actually there is an arnold documentary where he talks about pumping Iron like 20 years later. He actually subtly made fun of Bill Clinton and said that yes it was a joint and yes, he did inhale.

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
Don’t get the vape. You have to smoke a shit ton of weed in that thing to get high; just get a nice bong.[/quote]

Absolutely false. Vaporizers will get you MORE high with LESS weed than smoking it because the concentration of THC in the vapor (being virtually 100% THC) is much higher than the THC content of the smoke from a bong/pipe/etc… It’s the same principle behind why Everclear will get you drunker than wine, higher alcohol by volume.

i heard arnold used to smoke a joint after every workout. supposedly it helped his muscles relax and capillaries expand. i guess supplying muscles with nutrients…?

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
Don’t get the vape. You have to smoke a shit ton of weed in that thing to get high; just get a nice bong.[/quote]

That’s not true at all. You were doing it hella wrong. A vape actually conserves weed a bit. It’s a different high, though. I notice no detremental effects on lifting or dieting when smoking pot.

I have not seen any major effects from smoking marijuana, aside from being a little more breathed after lifting heavy as shit. I don’t see why people have a problem with it, since it is probably the safest drug with very little side effects.

Also I read a study one time that marijuana combats the cancer causing toxins in cigarettes in your lungs. I tried to google it but I couldn’t find it.

You want your CNS in tip top condition before lifting heavy weights.

All these positive studies; anybody know if they’re based on smoking a joint of pure weed, or weed and tobacco mix? i’m assuming the former, but i’m sure more people smoke the latter??

Also no-one has mentioned the advantage of being able to continously eat after smoking marijuana.

[quote]kanew wrote:
All these positive studies; anybody know if they’re based on smoking a joint of pure weed, or weed and tobacco mix? i’m assuming the former, but i’m sure more people smoke the latter??

Also no-one has mentioned the advantage of being able to continously eat after smoking marijuana.[/quote]

All smokers that I know smoke purely marijuana with no tobacco.

Weed is the best bulking supplement around.

If I smoke a bong with grape juice in it, is there any way I’m gonna ingest any of the calories through smoke? I know the question is dumb, but I don’t want to fuck up my ketosis.

I think working out can feel amazing when you’re on weed. Your muscles feel so fucking pumped especially when doing light weights/high reps after smoking weed.

But, I don’t think I could get a productive workout with heavy weights when if I was high. Plus, my gym is always crowded and I know a lot of people there, and I tend to act really awkward/paranoid if I am high.

But after a tough workout day, and maybe even some cardio, smoking weed feels amazing. I can’t do it everyday though, just once or twice a week at the most because I start to feel really stupid.

As far as impact on your health/physique, getting drunk or doing pretty much any other drug is terrible for you.