Margarine vs. Butter

LOL… I love icecream and eat it weekly. Snickers bars, mainly at halloween. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that this crowd would see these foods as unhealthy.

My only point was that animals are not necessarily better than us at determining what’s healthy for them. Hell, dogs and cats will lick up anti-freeze and poison themselves.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
LOL… I love icecream and eat it weekly. Snickers bars, mainly at halloween. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that this crowd would see these foods as unhealthy.

My only point was that animals are not necessarily better than us at determining what’s healthy for them. Hell, dogs and cats will lick up anti-freeze and poison themselves. [/quote]
Have you ever tasted antifreeze? It is sweet and tangy, Dogs forever! (cats are stupid though)

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
I get pissed when I see shelves of the shit in the supermarket

And Adverts extolling it’s ‘healthy’ properties always anger me[/quote]

X2

Recently at the store I saw a package of something that read on the front “Zero Trans-Fats!”
I flipped it over to read the ingredients and the fucking thing said it contained partially hydrogenated soybean oil! How the HELL can they get away with that? I was so pissed off I wanted to call the company on the spot and yell at them.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
I get pissed when I see shelves of the shit in the supermarket

And Adverts extolling it’s ‘healthy’ properties always anger me[/quote]

X2

Recently at the store I saw a package of something that read on the front “Zero Trans-Fats!”
I flipped it over to read the ingredients and the fucking thing said it contained partially hydrogenated soybean oil! How the HELL can they get away with that? I was so pissed off I wanted to call the company on the spot and yell at them. [/quote]

good ole FDA. Anyone that says it’s “all personal responsbility” is mistaken.

#1- nutritional misinfo perpetuates fattness
#2- shitty food labeling laws don’t help

by law, anything that contains less than .5g of something per serving, can for example be labeled fat free, or trans-fat free. Just manipulate the serving size.

Great example, though not totally bad, are the spray EVOO’s or other oils. Says calorie/fat free on the front and even the nutritional panel. But, it’s oil… look at the serving size and # of servings… 1/3 sec of spray or 400 servings per can.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:

My only point was that animals are not necessarily better than us at determining what’s healthy for them. Hell, dogs and cats will lick up anti-freeze and poison themselves. [/quote]

I think the take home point is not that the ants are making a decision to eat the healthier food, but rather that the ants don’t recognize that margarine is a food at all. [/quote]
Wish I had said that!

Another interesting experiment: take a tub of Margarine and place it in the sun on a hot window sill, and watch what does not happen to it.

I think we have been blinded by science:
here is some stuff I found recently:

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.
It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings…

DO YOU KNOW… The difference between margarine and butter?
Read on to the end…gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!
Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine…
Very High in Trans fatty acids.
Triples risk of coronary heart disease …
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times…

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here’s the most disturbing fact… HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC… and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

• no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

• it does not rot or smell differently because it has no value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny micro-organisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends…(If you want to butter them up’)!

Chinese Proverb:

When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE

[quote]hipsr4runnin wrote:
I think we have been blinded by science:
here is some stuff I found recently:

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.
It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings…

[/quote]
Wrong, it was not invented to fatten turkeys, but in France in 1869 as a low cost alternative to butter. It originally used beef fat, not vegetable oil.

meaningless.

[quote]

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

• no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

• it does not rot or smell differently because it has no value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny micro-organisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends…(If you want to butter them up’)!

Chinese Proverb:

When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE[/quote]

Geez, use snopes before you post this crap…

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:

I think the take home point is not that the ants are making a decision to eat the healthier food, but rather that the ants don’t recognize that margarine is a food at all. [/quote]

Perhaps, but even that cannot be inferred from the picture. There is no time reference. Did the ants merely find the butter first and the few ants on the margarine are just finding it? Was the butter there first, then the margarine added after the ants were covering the butter?

jesus christ, are we really debating semantics here? the message is clear, butter is real food, margarine is shit.

and the recommendations to eat shit margarine b/c “no cholesterol/sat fat” has only caused more problems. The fact that some “educated” people in the health field will recommend it still is astonishing.

I agree that butter is food closer to its natural state than margarine and should be preferred by health conscious people.

Perhaps the ants just prefer the taste of butter, and will start devouring the margarine after their delicious buttery mound has been depleted?

The boss ant probably told his team “hey, fuckers! Let’s get what we can while the gettin’s good - butter first, and we’ll polish off all this other stuff later”.

Sort of like if you have two frozen pizzas in your fridge - a meat lover’s, and one with sundried tomatoes and goat cheese. You’ll inevitably scarf down the meat lover’s first, but once its gone you’ll probably dig into the inferior pizza soon afterward.

I just want to say that not all margarine is the same. In Australia, our margarine has no trans-fats at all. You can also buy margarine made out of olive oil with added omega 3s. Australian margarine is also fortified with vitamins A and D.

But butter still tastes awesome

[quote]OzyNut wrote:
I just want to say that not all margarine is the same. In Australia, our margarine has no trans-fats at all. You can also buy margarine made out of olive oil with added omega 3s. Australian margarine is also fortified with vitamins A and D.

But butter still tastes awesome[/quote]
So your gelatinous goo has added vitamins?

If I eat a frozen pizza then take a muti-vitamin it doesn’t make the pizza any better for me.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]OzyNut wrote:

If I eat a frozen pizza then take a muti-vitamin it doesn’t make the pizza any better for me. [/quote]

come on man, it’s fortified… FORTTTIIIIFFIIIIEIEEED

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]OzyNut wrote:

If I eat a frozen pizza then take a muti-vitamin it doesn’t make the pizza any better for me. [/quote]

come on man, it’s fortified… FORTTTIIIIFFIIIIEIEEED[/quote]
Hahahaha. No, I take your point. What I am saying is that there is a huge difference between margarine made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and a simple oil/water emulsion.
In any case though, butter clearly has more nutrients. It wins hands down in that regard.

I guess I just didn’t like seeing that excerpt from those chain emails. I hate having to explain to people why most are ridiculous. It also doesn’t help that people don’t know that countries have their own unique food systems.

Does Australian margarine melt?

[quote]TORO wrote:
Does Australian margarine melt?[/quote]
Yes, it melts when left at room temperature (say 20 degrees C). It is also quite soft straight out of the refrigerator.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
and yes, some scientists say the chemical structure of trans-fat more closely resembles plastic than food.

[/quote]

This statement has been repeated three times already in this thread and is simply not true. Please stop spreading this nonsense.

First, trans fat is simply fat that is a trans isomer. There are many trans fats. The most common trans fat (elaidic acid) more closely resembles oleic acid (you know, the fatty acid that makes up the majority of olive oil) than anything. In fact, they are geometric isomers. The only difference between the two is geometry. Oleic acid is the cis isomer of elaidic acid. Put another way, elaidic acid is the trans isomer of oleic acid. They have the same number of hydrogens, carbons, oxygens, electrons, types of bonds, so on and so forth.

Plastics are made up of many different kinds of chemical compositions and are a subset of a group of materials called polymers. The most common plastic is polyethylene (milk jugs, plastic bags, etc). Interestingly, polyethylene more closely resembles saturated fats than unsaturated fats. Really though, they are all pretty similar looking, although polyethylene in general is thousands of times larger (many more carbons put together) than these fatty acids. Polyethylene is also saturated. Oleic and elaidic acid are only monounsaturated though so it’s still very similar to these.

I’m not questioning the need to avoid trans fats with these statements, but let’s use facts to back our arguments, not emotional appeals that are intended to scare people.

I wasn’t using an emotional appeal, rather just going by articles I’ve read on the subject referencing “scientists”…