Marcelo Garcia Going to MMA

Marcelo Garcia the world famous JiuJitsu star, has decided to sign with K1 Heroes for a near future MMA contract. As a fan of Marcelo Garcia I’m a bit worried of his success in the MMA world. So Im typing this to here others opinion of his choice going to MMA and whether he would make it.

Here is the sherdog article.

If he gets with the right camp I see no reason why he couldn’t have success. But in a recent interview of his it sounded like he’s training his normal routine with his normal camp. MMA is evolving so rapidly you simply can’t be a one dimensional fighter anymore, but I’m excited to see what he can do.

Wait–am i crazy or does K-1 heroes not allow any groundfighting? Isn’t it mixed standup and clinch only? Wouldn’t a BJJ star like Garcia stand a much better chance in Pride or UFC where he can actually take it to the ground?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Wait–am i crazy or does K-1 heroes not allow any groundfighting? Isn’t it mixed standup and clinch only? Wouldn’t a BJJ star like Garcia stand a much better chance in Pride or UFC where he can actually take it to the ground?[/quote]

K-1 is kickboxing, and HERO’S is K-1’s MMA promotion. It’s kind of crappy, since it collects the worst aspects of all the other major MMA promotions. No 4-point knees, no soccer kicks, no stomps, no elbows. Match-making, reffing and judging are funky even by Japanese standards.

Garcia vs Brock Lesnar! I won’t be surprised if that happens at some point down the line in Japan.

[quote]martyh wrote:
If he gets with the right camp I see no reason why he couldn’t have success. But in a recent interview of his it sounded like he’s training his normal routine with his normal camp. MMA is evolving so rapidly you simply can’t be a one dimensional fighter anymore, but I’m excited to see what he can do.[/quote]

For the most part agreed, but there are exceptions. Paulo Filho does not even train stand up, at all, and he’s a top 3 MW. Marcelo is an even better grappler than he is.

Appearently Marcelo is training with Team Quest.

http://www.teamquestmma.com/news/detail.asp?iNews=252&iType=21