T Nation

Marc Ambinder on Obesity

I’m guessing this will spark some debate.

(My own take; I love my Atlantic columnists, but this rubbed me the wrong way. He really dismisses individual choice.)

[quote]AlisaV wrote:

(My own take; I love my Atlantic columnists, but this rubbed me the wrong way. He really dismisses individual choice.)[/quote]

Damn, yea. He blames everyone and everything but the obese person.

It’s obvious that there are external factors at work but to downplay individual choice just makes for a dumb argument.

[quote]ron22 wrote:

[quote]AlisaV wrote:

(My own take; I love my Atlantic columnists, but this rubbed me the wrong way. He really dismisses individual choice.)[/quote]

Damn, yea. He blames everyone and everything but the obese person.

It’s obvious that there are external factors at work but to downplay individual choice just makes for a dumb argument.[/quote]

I think there are a lot of interesting factors but one I was just thinking of is The body image in America is very unrealistic within the range of whats considered a “healthy” person…a lot of people when dieting and exercising feel like it is a lot of work, because it is, and I think you want to imagine yourself as the “ideal” body type…but when your obese or very overweight…that at best is a loooong way away and when they realize it, its hard not to quit. I think a great idea would be to reform the way we think of weight loss goals…its not just looking like a body builder or a model but its also a about health and living a fulfilling life

I do agree that economics and education do factor greatly in the equation. I live and work in the south and I see it every day. I work with diabetics teaching them about proper diet,exercise,and helping them manage their disease.