T Nation

Marathons to Muscle

Back in 2005, I got myself back in shape and ran my second marathon - you can read about it here: http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1255264&pageNo=0

Since my last post in February 2007, my weight training and running have been going along smoothly, and I was tossing around the idea of signing up for the Boston Marathon this year. However, I’ll let an excerpt of my physique clinic application explain my mishap in September 2007 -

[i]It was 3rd down and 15, less than 2 minutes to play and I was feeling good. As I jogged to the line, I visualized burning my defender deep and raking in my second touchdown of the day.

“GO!”

At the sound of the snap, I pushed off with my right leg and I heard it before I felt it. My calf tightened up and I attempted to limp/run the play through, hoping no one would notice. However, once I stopped and tried to return to the huddle, I realized something was wrong. I tried to play out the rest of the minute and 30 seconds, but realized the real game would begin once I stepped off the field.

At this point, I wish I could tell you I took off my helmet and sat down on the bench when the team’s trainer examined my torn calf muscle. However, the closest bench in Brighton’s McKinney Park was taken up by a 6 year old and his Dad, and the only trainer was a distant man teaching his dog to catch a Frisbee. [/i]

Yep. Flag football. Despite R.I.C.E-ing the hell out of my calf, I couldn’t run - literally. My aspirations of running a third marathon this May were fading with each painful step, so I laid off the pavement and hit the iron harder with the hopes of a new goal: gaining muscle and strength while my injury faded away.

By the end of January, I ballooned to 215 pounds - some muscle, probably more fat, due to eating anything and everything in sight. However, the strength increases were addicting and the intrigue of a competeing in a bb show is a reality. However, I need to learn how to eat correctly!

Gustavo’s current Physique Clinic has really helped to lay out a basic roadmap and who knows, maybe I’ll get picked for the next round of participants!

Right now, I’m about 190 - been doing 45 minutes on the bike (doesn’t bother my calf) and cleaned up my diet. Once I’m lean again, I’ll follow the protocol of increasing my calories slowly and gauging my physique. If I can maintain consistency over the next year, I hope to start thinking of competing in 2009.

The pics in this post are from February when I was hovering around 215.

These are pics taken as I slowly started putting muscle back on from the marathon in 2005. I took these pics in the winter of 2006.

Dieting has never been a problem for me - I’m actually excited to get lean after working hard in the gym on my strength and size. However, my challenge will be getting bigger and not overeating to the point where fat/muscle ratio is not optimal.

I thought this would be a good starting point to have my bodyfat checked and I was actually off by 2%!

I’m 195 at 22% body fat. Pics and measurements to follow.

So you actually look like… what? The avatar (which one? the ne on the left is in trouble…) the ripped guy is you a few years ago right? so thats you at the top!

What happened? (I didnt read the post. Sorry. Too long. I look at the pictures).

Joe

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
So you actually look like… what? The avatar (which one? the ne on the left is in trouble…) the ripped guy is you a few years ago right? so thats you at the top!

What happened? (I didnt read the post. Sorry. Too long. I look at the pictures).

Joe[/quote]

Avatar is just a random internet pic.
The pics at the top of the thread were taken in February 2008 - I am posting new pics, as I’m about 20 pounds lighter @ 195 lbs., 22% body fat (still a long way to go).

[u]Cliff Notes Version[/u]
Tore my calf muscle.
Stopped running and working out for about five months.
Put on 30 pounds eating crap and lifting sparsely.

[u]Currently[/u]
Docs still unsure about calf muscle - MRI taken last week.
Incorporating cardio (Stairmaster) for the past month and cleaned up diet to reach single digit bodyfat.

Thanks mate!! I have a difficult time reading long posts even though i am a long poster. (I dont have to read my own…:wink: ) lol

You have a decent physique under there… when you drop the lard, add some size to the adducters/hams, Bi/Tri and lats and you will be a decent bodybuilder. (at first glance)

Obviously i cannot see your hams, but i should see the bulk coming round the side in the inner thigh… (add some sumo/power squats)

I take it you want to compete in BB comps?

Good luck, you have a great start - you will have to curb the running obviously, once you have lost the fat at least…

Joe

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
Thanks mate!! I have a difficult time reading long posts even though i am a long poster. (I dont have to read my own…:wink: ) lol

You have a decent physique under there… when you drop the lard, add some size to the adducters/hams, Bi/Tri and lats and you will be a decent bodybuilder. (at first glance)

Obviously i cannot see your hams, but i should see the bulk coming round the side in the inner thigh… (add some sumo/power squats)

I take it you want to compete in BB comps?

Good luck, you have a great start - you will have to curb the running obviously, once you have lost the fat at least…

Joe[/quote]

Thanks, Joe - I really appreciate it!

Yeah, I’m unsure if I can run, so I figured to make the downtime fruitful and focus on what I CAN do. It will be interesting once I get down to single bodyfat and start working my way to a more muscular physique - I’ve never really focused on the weights exclusively, so it will be new territory for me.

How did you get the muscle you DO have?

If you havent tried too hard to get like that?

Are you just built like that, if you run regular and eat well an do a basic resisted workout 3x a week?

Joe

Current: 195 lbs. 22% body fat
Chest: 44"
Waist: 36"
Thighs: 23"
Calfs: 16"
Biceps: 16"

Current: 191 lbs. 19% body fat
Chest: 44"
Waist: 35.5"
Thighs: 22"
Calfs: 16.5"