Marathons and Supplementation

[quote]fmaurice wrote:
soooo, anyone know when I should stop taking creatine before the ride and how soon. Also, what about water loading I guess you could call it, not sure though. Like high sodium/potassium intake the day(s) prior. And would I benefit from something like Mineral Muscle (the new supp) or just adding some sodium/ potassium to my shakes?[/quote]

If you want to maximize your performance during this event, I’d stop supplementing with creatine 5 to 7 days prior.

I wouldn’t mess with sodium or potassium, unless you take them as part of a comprehensive supplement like Surge Workout Fuel. It’s too easy to get your electrolytes out of balance otherwise.

As far as water, you just need to make sure that you’re well hydrated going into the event. There’s no need do anything crazy.

Elite Pro Mineral Support is great for any athlete, but it’s likely to be even more beneficial for those who sweat a lot.

[quote]ethanwest wrote:
I’m sure you’ve probably heard of this before, but for long bouts of endurance exercise you may want to explore Gu or Powerbar Gel . These are easier to digest than bars or protein shakes while you are in the middle of a workout, and the extra carbs can help provide your body energy and keep from going into a catabolic state.[/quote]

Both of these are inferior to FINiBAR and Surge Workout Fuel in terms of supplying carbohydrates during exercise and promoting hydration, to fuel performance and prevent catabolism.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:
I’m sure you’ve probably heard of this before, but for long bouts of endurance exercise you may want to explore Gu or Powerbar Gel . These are easier to digest than bars or protein shakes while you are in the middle of a workout, and the extra carbs can help provide your body energy and keep from going into a catabolic state.[/quote]

Both of these are inferior to FINiBAR and Surge Workout Fuel in terms of supplying carbohydrates during exercise and promoting hydration, to fuel performance and prevent catabolism.[/quote]

I’ve just started reading about Surge Workout Fuel, that definitely looks like a serious product that I’ll try out. But is that really as good as periodic doses of Gu during endurance bouts? The carbs that you get from Surge are excellent for pre-workout, but I doubt they would keep you going for four hours, because you’re body can only process so many carbs all at once? Gu is easy to keep in a pocket and eat every hour, whereas you can’t keep mixing Surge shakes in the middle of a marathon, right?

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

Both of these are inferior to FINiBAR and Surge Workout Fuel in terms of supplying carbohydrates during exercise and promoting hydration, to fuel performance and prevent catabolism.[/quote]

I’ve just started reading about Surge Workout Fuel, that definitely looks like a serious product that I’ll try out. But is that really as good as periodic doses of Gu during endurance bouts? The carbs that you get from Surge are excellent for pre-workout, but I doubt they would keep you going for four hours, because you’re body can only process so many carbs all at once? Gu is easy to keep in a pocket and eat every hour, whereas you can’t keep mixing Surge shakes in the middle of a marathon, right?[/quote]

Surge Workout Fuel isn’t a “shake.” It’s an advanced carbohydrate/electrolyte formula that is mixed in water and consumed before and during activity.

The professional cyclists that we work with will typically consume 2 to 3 servings out of their normal water bottles over the course of a 3 to 5 hour training session.

It does a much better job of maintaining stable energy levels than sugar/maltodextrin gels during prolonged exercise.

Thanks everyone, especially Mod Brian. I’ll keep it simple as far as the water retention goes. I’ll get myself a couple FINiBARs, Surge and def some Elite Pro because I sweat like a pig, that route seems simpler. I was planning on just making my own Surge with malto/dextrose, some other electrolytes and a casein hydro shake on the side w leucine, but Surge takes care of the quick carbs and the FINiBARs do the rest…

[quote]fmaurice wrote:
Thanks everyone, especially Mod Brian. I’ll keep it simple as far as the water retention goes. I’ll get myself a couple FINiBARs, Surge and def some Elite Pro because I sweat like a pig, that route seems simpler. I was planning on just making my own Surge with malto/dextrose, some other electrolytes and a casein hydro shake on the side w leucine, but Surge takes care of the quick carbs and the FINiBARs do the rest…[/quote]

Make sure that you go with Surge Workout Fuel and not Surge Recovery for this.