Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

@brady888 - Thanks man, I guess I’m inexperienced enough with front squats for me to think that that weight should have been easy. It wasn’t. My plan is to run a cycle of 5/3/1 with front squats as my primary squat movement and close grip bench as my horizontal press when I’m back from vacation.

@Koestrizer - Thanks for the comment man. Glad to hear you’ve also had a great experience with it. I think I’m currently in a pretty good place to trial run something like this. I have a good idea where I’m sitting strength-wise at the moment and the T-ransformation challenge was a nice little show of where I’m sitting with my lean muscle mass. If I can successfully get through a month of going vegetarian and not see a significant performance drop, or see my physique soften up too much I could see myself at least adopting a much more plant-based diet especially if I experience any of the health benefits you hear from people who have adopted that style of eating.

@jamie1888 - gasp I know, it scares me a little. Thankfully this timing will work out with our garden coming around in full swing. We will be able to eat squash for 3 meals a day for the month!

1 Like

Can confirm. Vegetarian will kill all your gains and you will die. This is a posthumous message

4 Likes

You mean post-hummus? :wink:

my attempt at a vegetarian joke, fuck off

8 Likes

I have been mulling this over recently for a cut and to see how I feel.

I know I would eat 20 eggs a day though and then not lose any weight.

3 Likes

Haha fuck I actually laughed out loud to this. That was gold.

4 Likes

What’s next, Crossfit?

** unfollows **

2 Likes
  • hides in corner *
1 Like

@BOTSLAYER - Haha I’m the same. I would probably miss eggs as much or more than meat if I did a vegan trial. Might give “What the Health?” a watch tonight on Netflix to educate myself a bit.

@kleinhound - Lol glad it was well received!

@dchris - Uhm, I won’t tell you that I was Googling Strongman/Crossfit Hybrid workouts yesterday…

AirDyne
30cals in 1:48 (16.67cal/min) ← this pace is just for my future reference.

This was just for a warmup and definitely did its job. I am going to try to incorporate more AirDyne work in.

RUN THE RACK DB ROWS
50 x 12
60 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 12
100 x 12
95 x 12 ← little extra body english here
85 x 12
75 x 12 ← still feeling heavy, muscles showing fatigue
65 x 12 ← finally starting to feel light again
55 x 12

155lb Keg Clean and Press (Clean Each Rep)
5 x 5

Nice little “off day” workout since yesterday’s workout was cut a little short.

7 Likes

Chronometer is a great calorie tracking website that has US and, I assume, Canadian brands specifically. It’s awesome because it shows all the individual micronutrients and also amino acids so you can make sure you’re getting a truly complete mix of proteins etc. It’s basically how I ‘learned’ to be a vegetarian without shooting myself in the foot from a physique or performance stand point

3 Likes

If education is your goal then “What the Health” is about 10 steps in the wrong direction. It was recommended to me so I read the fact checks, reviews and synopsis’s etc, it is a really bad propaganda film.

IIRC one of their major claims is that eating meat is worse for your health than smoking.

LOL EDIT: im a moran

4 Likes

@kleinhound - Thanks! I’ll be sure to look into that tracker.

@BOTSLAYER - Watched it last night; definitely need to read the fact checks myself…a lot of the information was like “WWHHAATT??? USERIOUS??”

My wife watched it with me and immediately claimed she was going vegan. Then I told her to relax until we can look into the truth lol I do believe a plant-based diet would be much healthier than a typical North American diet, but they are making some BIG claims that I need more than a small highlight from a study to completely buy into.

BUT, even more reason to run the trial on myself. If I try it and start feeling better , sleeping better, recovering quicker, leaning out, maintaining/increasing strength, etc, etc then I could care less about the studies.

4 Likes

08/23/2017

ACTIVATION
Lying Banded Hamstring Curls (Red band)

MAIN LIFT
Semi-sumo Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 5
405 x 5
465 x 10 <-Rep PR…basically cardio

FLUFF
Banded Reverse Hypers
10, 10, 10, 10, 10

A few banded pullaparts/dislocates/facepulls

Low Incline SB Bench Press
70lb x 12 x 4

Renegade Rows
30lb x 10 x 4

If anyone has any comments on form, feel free to throw them at me. I don’t want to see any comments about my pasty white legs though…

11 Likes

Fuck yeah dude.
I don’t know shit about semi sumo so I can’t comment on that but looked smooth and well timed to me. No back rounding or bar swinging, and you probably won’t get your hips much closer to the bar unless you go full sumo, so good shit man

3 Likes

^^ Says can’t comment. Proceeds to comment. Fucking vegetarians

8 Likes

Looks good to me. Nice, smooth, and strong. Definitely white and pasty, but legs are still looking nice, smooth, and strong. Good pull btw

3 Likes

Looks very good to me

3 Likes

lol “basically cardio”

1 Like

Forgot your NEVERsate shirt, would’ve added 2 reps…we’ve discussed this…I mean, at this point are you even trying?! haha

1 Like

When I pull semi sumo I like my toes turned out a bit more and my knees out a bit more. But that’s just because I find it more comfortable.

Form looks awesome and consistent, especially with a good amount of weight.

2 Likes

I like how you sit back, into the pull. Lats and upper back stay tight. No unnecessary shoulder shrugging at the top.

It’s cool that you dont over arch, or over extend or lean back too far at the top. All good stuff.

Maybe you could Push your feet Out more. For more vertical shins, and a slightly straighter pull. Like Brady mentioned, turning the toes and twisting the knees open might help. But by then, it might just be “Sumo,” like Klein said.

Beard looks strong too.

3 Likes