Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Yep, when I was at the commercial gym last week there honestly wasn’t one piece of equipment that I was envious of, other than the set of dumbbells and solid benches. A deadlift platform would be nice for show, and I could easily build one…but then I would have no way of getting it out of our basement once constructed and since we are planning on possibly moving in the next year or two, it just makes sense to wait.

This is something we definitely have in common.

This is actually something I do enjoy. I go through a little mindset shift as I go through a pyramid like this. Working up in weight is simply my warm-up, and trying to find that squat groove. Then I get to my working sets (at whatever rep scheme I’ve decided on for the day) where the weight is difficult. Then after I feel I’ve done sufficient work there I’ll back off on the way down to get more volume. BUT, the difference on the way down isn’t to just warm up, but more focus is put on the MMC. This is the volume that I’ll focus more on specific muscles rather than the movement itself. In this example for squats I was focusing more on sitting back a little further and keeping the quads lit up through the movement. I also used these lighter sets to ensure my left leg was pushing as hard as my right (since my knee injury, I still tend to lean/favour my right, painless leg when getting up into heavier sets).

Similarly for bench, I might go flat back and focus more on pectoral engagement rather than a full arch, delt/triceps/pec movement on my way back down. Plus, I friggin’ hate changing plates. Here, I’m stripping them anyways so might as well grab some volume on the way down!

5 Likes

I feel the same way! Lol. Just makes sense to get those reps in!

1 Like

Some pineapple berries and chocolate protein “dip”.

A typical packed lunch. Meat veggies and sometimes small carb source.

Protein, pumpkin, Zucchini loaf inspired by @jamie1888.
20170809_192935

4 Likes

08/10/2017

A.M.
1mile 50lb Weighted Vest Walk
10mins yoga

P.M.
Just started doing band pullaparts before starting my workout and I got a phone call. A friend needed a hand moving a fridge into his parents place…so off I go! 2 other guys showed up as I got there so I ended up being in the way more than anything, so not a great story, but that’s my excuse for being short on time and just getting into the gym for a quick one.

SUPERSET
DB Rows
70lbs x 25, 20, 20, 20, 20

CGBP
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 10, 10, 10
185 x 10
135 x 10

1 Like
This Is Why Eating Healthy Is Hard (Time Travel Dietician) from Funny Or Die

Mods, feel free to delete if this is a no-go. Thought it was pretty entertaining though.

2 Likes

Your lunch is very similar to my breakfasts except with eggs and Carolina hot sauce. That zucchini loaf looks bomb too. Eating good north of the border!

1 Like

That funny or die skit… gold.

“You might want to exercise, you’ve been sitting here for 35 years.”

2 Likes

How did it come out? Did you like it?

Well the bottom stuck badly to the glassware, the coconut oil spray did not do its job, but it was very good! A friend was over when I was pulling it out of the oven and he had seconds.

I’ve noticed that too when baking with coconut oil spray. Especially with low fat recipes. If you try it again, you could just spray the hell out of the dish or add a little fat to the recipe. Silicone baking molds work well too.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I just might have to pick up some of these.

Well I’m excited :slight_smile:

11 Likes

OH MY GOD. 'm literally drooling and beyond envious right now. They’re beautiful man.

2 Likes

That’s awesome!

Will you let them stay weathered, or paint them some custom colo(u)r?

1 Like

@oldbeancam - Haha thanks man. I’m pretty happy with them. Now starting to think about my programming going forward now that I have a few more tools in my arsenal.

@FlatsFarmer - I’m very pleased, it’s tough for me to fork out money…but there is no way this could be a poor investment. I had intended on keeping them as is…until you mentioned customizing them…now you have me thinking…

Fluoro pink dumbbells :smile:

3 Likes

Dr. Ken said light colors are best.

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful sight

1 Like

@Irishman92 - thanks for the suggestion, uhm, I’ll consider it? :stuck_out_tongue:

@FlatsFarmer - good to know! lol

@MarkKO - Thanks Mark! Looks like we’re all evolving more in to bodybuilding territory now. Time to bring on those DB gainz!

08/11/2017

Bunch of band pullaparts/dislocates
Bar Hangs
Third world squatss

SSB Squats
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5 ← Why is this weight feeling heavy???
315 x 5
365 x 3 ← Really? Planning on a few sets of 5 here, but just wasn’t grooving. Forgot to put my knee sleeves on and if I’m already sweaty there is no change of them getting on. I wouldn’t say the knee sleeves add lbs to my squat but they do add a level of comfort with a small bit of added stability and warmth. :hugs:
225 x 10

I think I was a little ambitious with the weight here as my heavier squats have been with the regular barbell and my rep work was being done with the SSB. I think I underestimated the effect of the SSB on the weight I am able to move.

Make-shift reverse hyper with red mini band
10, 10, 10, 10, 10

RUN THE RACK - PALMS IN FLAT DB BENCH
50 x 10
60 x 10
70 x 10
80 x 10
90 x 10
100 x 8
95 x 6
85 x 7
75 x 10
65 x 10
55 x 10

Well, you get a new toy for the weight room you just have to try them out! I was BARELY finishing my final sets with the 75-55lb coming down the pyramid. DBs felt great, nice heavy knurling, good solid old school feel. I’m happy with the purchase. Going to be doing a lot of my supplemental work with these for my next cycle I think.

4 Likes

Great find! Almost as cool as an old Camaro in a barn or something.

Find the tool that tightens whatever holds the dbs together. Get an extra one, and leave it by the dbs.

How did you like the reverse hypers?

1 Like