Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Ah, the squishy. Welcome to the land of squishy.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice word, I like it.

1 Like

Welcome to the squishy dad bod mate. My daughters love my comfy dad bod !! Lol

1 Like

Limited Time Workout:

Wife went over to a friends place for a walk with the baby and pup, so I had a couple hours to get some things done (grass cut, chores, InstaPot meal prep, and workout).

Farmers Walks
115lbs x 40m (turn at 20m)
115 x 40
165 x 40
165 x 40
165 x 40
165 x 40
165 x 40

Iā€™m not good at these, but I do enjoy them. I feel very slow, and this feels heavier than it should.

Atlas Stone Ladder
145lbs x 1 to shoulder
175lbs x 1 to shoulder
215lbs x 0 - went into the triple extension and didnā€™t pop it high enough to catch it up to the shoulder
215 x 1 to shoulder - good max effort here, happy to get this to the shoulder
250 x 0 - couldnā€™t even lap it. Broke the ground a few times, but just kept slipping out of my arms. Tacky might be helpful for this stoneā€¦

4 Likes
7 Likes

Another time limited workout. I had about an hour before we had to leave to visit friends of ours who live 2hrs away, so I slipped in a quick one:

SSB Front Squats to High Box (to bench ~18")
45 x 10
135 x 8
185 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3 - starting to feel heavy_ish here.
375 x 3 - took some effort to keep upper back tight
405 x 3 - similar to above, not easy but more in the tank (set at end of video above)

Between sets I did 10x Ab Wheel Rollouts.

I decided high box was a good variation to test the knee. It is still painful when doing a leg extension, but mostly when my knee reaches or exceeds 90 degrees or so. Played it safe. This is the first time ever using the SSB for front squats and I liked it a lot, will be using this variation more often.

Edit:
I found it funny how awkward I was every set trying to get out from under the SSB handles. It seemed to really wedge me in there, especially as the weight got heavy!

5 Likes

Lower than my box squat of 20-22" :laughing:

1 Like

Quick Afternoon Workout

Log Clean Once and Press Strict + Push
85 x 3+2
105 x 3+2
135 x 3+2
155 x 3+2
175 x 3+2
205 x 2 (push press only)
225 x 2
245 x 2

I wasnā€™t sure how high I was going to make it with push press doubles, but was pleased when 225lbs moved like it did. 245lbs was as much as I had in me. I havenā€™t touched the strongman log for quite some time, but it moved well today.

I was planning to do some sort of carry after this, but that didnā€™t happen.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Awesome struggle for that last rep. Quality

Love your gym, is that storage container the SBD room? Or maybe still storage from the move?

Haha yeah, 245lbs sure felt more than 20lbs heavier than 225lbs! Thanks.

This! House foundation being poured at the end of next week (hopefully!). There is still a ways to go before I have my home gym up and running, so Iā€™m just getting some work in where/when I can.

3 Likes

09/13/2019
Wife took the wee lad to a little play-date with a few other mothers, so I was able to get some chores done and run out to my buddyā€™s place for a workout. I use the term ā€œplay-dateā€ loosely, as he is only 2 months old so his playing is limited. I think the play-date is more for the mothers than anything (and fathers, yay empty house for a bit!).

Walked into the gym with no plan in mind other than ā€œhit quads without hurting my kneeā€.

After a brief warmup and some dynamic mobility work, the knee passed the tests so I decided some squatting was on the menu.

I really like the SSB front squats from the other day, soā€¦

SSB Front Squats - I believe the bar is slightly heavier than 45lbs, but for ease of gym math, it will forever be 45lbs.
45 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5 - not an easy set, but I had more in me if I pushed it. Knee was still feeling good, so I called it there for my top set.

SSB Back Squat - Widowmaker Squat Finisher
225lbs x 20

Good cardio, not easy, but could up this weight going forward.

RDL - slow eccentric, toes on 5lb plates, straps
225 x 10
225 x 10 w/ shrug at top
225 x 10 w/ shrug at top

SUPERSET - little bit of rehab/prehab work here
Banded Hamstring Curls double red minis

DB Reverse Lunges total reps
35lb DBs x 12
35lb DBs x 12
35lb DBs x 12

With my left toe immobility (the one I broke) it was awkward lunging back with my left leg. I kind of had to rotate my heel out to the side in order to get my knee to touch. Hopefully my toe mobility continues to improve!

This doesnā€™t look amazing on paper, but to be honest this is one of the best sessions I have had in awhile. Energy was decent (considering sleep the last few nights was interrupted), my knee held up well, and I got a nice quad pump (goal of the workout was to target them, success).

5 Likes
5 Likes

Man, Iā€™m not sure if my bodyweight squats look that smooth these days.

You make it look easy and its tempting to try front squats again. I know better, though.

1 Like

Yep they were like butter. Nice work

1 Like

Thanks man, but I actually felt a little inflammation in my hip last night so you would be wise to stay away from them for a bit! Pretty sure it is just weak abd/adductors from lack of recent use. Feeling better this morning, DOMS seem to be in the right places this morning - quads.

Thanks Simo, felt good to put in some actually work beyond ā€œmaintenanceā€. Iā€™d be lying if I said I havenā€™t been dreaming about my home gym in our new place once it is built!

2 Likes
6 Likes

Itā€™s been awhile since I have deadlifted, so that obviously means - Deadlift Testing!!

Conventional Deadlift
135 x 8
225 x 8 - This made me realize (once again) how poor my conditioning currently is.
315 x 5
365 x 3
405 x 2
455 x 1
500 x 1
550 x 1
Supposed to be 600lbs (mis-loaded) - I was actually pretty pissed here. I took awhile to get myself amped up for this rep and felt confident going into it.
600 x 0 ā† Nervous going into this rep. I just had no ability to grind here. Iā€™ve always been better at maintaining tension in the sumo deadlift rather than conventional. Iā€™m too stubborn to stop there, so letā€™s try sumo.
600 x 1 ā† a lot more difficult than I was hoping. Red lights at a PL meet, but the weight came up. Happy to still have 600lbs there, but I have some work to do to get it back up to snuff.

GIANT SET - 4 rounds
DB Rows
80lbs x 10

Back Raises
Bodyweight x 10

Hanging Leg Raises

FINSHER
100 Red Mini Band Triceps Extensions

Good workout, nice to move some weight. Iā€™ve lost quite a bit of strength, but Iā€™m hoping that once I return to working out consistently again that it will come back relatively quickly.

7 Likes

Stoopid misload! I think you would have had it.

1 Like