Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

355 will be a cake walk for 1 revolution, 455 should be no problem, and 555 I would expect you to get at least 1/2 the circle, even if you don’t think you’re good at the event. Fatigue at this point will be setting in. For myself, I expect to get close to 3 revolutions in 60 seconds with no drops at 500. And I doubt you’re much worse than me.

2 Likes

01/25/2017
5/3/1 Sleeper’s Modified Strongman Program

Week 2 Day 2

Continental Clean
95 x 3
115 x 3
135 x 3
165 x 3
185 x 3
205 x 4

These felt a bit more ‘normal’ than last week, but 205 sure does feel heavy!

Axle Deadlift
205 x 5
315 x 3
385 x 3
435 x 3
485 x 3

I was happy to get my prescribed reps in today. I was feeling a little sluggish for some reason. I also used the same TM on my conventional deadlift as I did for programming my axle deadlift. The axle is proving to be a bit more difficult with the addition of the grip challenge associated with each pull. After watching my video, it looks like I could have pushed another couple reps. The pulls felt tough and it felt like I was going to sacrifice form trying to hit another so I called it.

GIANT SET
Axle Z-Press
25 x 10
115 x 10
145 x 8
145 x 10

These felt pretty good. I haven’t done these much, but am really enjoying them right now, I might keep these programmed in for a bit.

Preacher Curl
100 x 10 x 3 (3sec Eccentric)

Back Extensions
BW x 15 x 3

I got my workout in, but it took around 1hr 10mins which is a good 15-20mins longer than usual. I wasn’t moving in high gear today.

2 Likes
1 Like

Which is very quick by my standards. Anything under two hours is fast for me. I average two to two and a half hours. Jeez, I must be inefficient AF.

2 Likes

Haha…or you do real workouts. I’m a “get in, get off, get out” kind of guy…just ask my wife.

4 Likes

I think I forget how long checking my sets on video takes. I do that for all bench and squat sets bar onwards because my technique isn’t quite good enough to just do yet.

01/27/2017

Week 2 Day 3

SSB Squat
45 x 10
135 x 10
205 x 10
205 x 10
205 x 10
205 x 10
205 x 10

A little bit of knee pain during these sets, not sure why. These didn’t feel heavy but got a good pump in my legs.
While I was stripping weight and doing band dislocates/pullaparts/facepulls my back locked right up. Not sure what happened here, but I almost called it a workout. I sat in a deep squat for 5 mins, did some bar hangs, some twists and other stretches and worked it out to a point where I could try the log clean and press. After a couple warm up sets, things felt OK.

Log Clean (once) and Press
85 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 3
175 x 3
205 x 10 ← Happy with this. I went into this set hoping for 10, and mis-counted and thought I failed on my 10th rep. Turns out I failed on my 11th, so overall decent set.

The log clean and press is interesting. It is VERY hard to get air into you while holding that bar on your chest arched over backwards. On my final rep I tried to do a mini press in an attempt to swallow some air, but that did not work whatsoever. Still getting comfortable with the log so these are things you need to figure out for yourself. I’m excited for next week where I’m going to try 230lbs for max reps. In October I was only able to hit this for 1, so any rep over 1 I will be very happy with. This was competition weight back in the competition that got cancelled in October.

Finished off with a few sets of kroc rows. Off to have some pints and play a few hours of euchre.
Will post video of log clean and press tomorrow.

Kroc Rows
70 x 20 x 3

1 Like

I’m sorry, you’re not allowed to squat the same amount as you press overhead.

2 Likes

My best guess is it’s just your back reacting to the SSB work. It’ll get used to it soon enough.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, someone else knows how to actually play euchre?

1 Like

@brady888 - it was with leg drive, so basically cheating lol

@MarkKO - that’s probably true, the different squat variation mixed with more volume than I’ve done in awhile. Good thinking! Sometimes I forget even though I’ve had the SSB bar for awhile I just haven’t used it much.

@johngalt191 - haha born and raised on it! Pretty sure they taught it in Sunday school as a wee lad. I was shocked when going to university that this game was not played by the masses worldwide. I always figured it was, as everyone I knew played it. It is an awesome game to be played over some pints and puffs. You Canadian, eh?

1 Like

Nope just in Iowa. There is no shit a billboard in town that says you are not a dubuquer if you can’t play euchre, for a local tournament. (Dubuque is the town).

1 Like

Little vid of my log clean and press from yesterday…

5 Likes

Jeebus…

1 Like

Not half the presser you are but for what it is worth:
Try widening your stance a little more and for the dip force your knees outwards allowing for more power to come from ypur hips. It looks like you are mainly using your knees and ankles instead of your hips. This may also help with balance. I used to do the same thing and I feel a lot more powerful and in control of the weight when I widened my stance, forced the knees out and actually shortened my dip but that maybe be personal preference.

2 Likes

Also the clean was a pretty impressive bicep curl :smiley:

3 Likes

My first thought was hoping Canadian feet were shorter LOL

Hey raised in Michigan here…we just need 1 more and we have a game!!!

2 Likes

@MarkKO - Gotta love hitting 10 reps on a 3’s week + set :slight_smile:

@Koestrizer - Excellent tips man. I really appreciate it. I’ll give this a go next week for sure. ANKLE POWER! But yes, wider foot stance and more hips will hopefully generate more power.
I feel like I could power curl another 30lbs up like that. So if competition weight is only 230lb or so I should save some decent time doing that technique!

@BOTSLAYER - hahaha that’s awesome. Yes, anyone else who kicks around this log play euchre?

3 Likes

01/29/2017

Day 1 Week 3

I did Monday’s workout tonight as I’m heading out of town for 3 days tomorrow. This way I’ll just do my Wednesday workout on Thursday and Friday workout on Saturday. I will try to behave and hit the pool as much as I can to keep myself in a calorie deficit.

Squat
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 3
405 x 3
455 x 3

Axle Bench Press
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
255 x 5