Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

That’s the kind of stuff we deal with, but mostly corporate. Our domestic stuff is stoopid expensive. I saw this one gorgeous timber shelving unit our owner designed in the showroom. Goes for 11K.

1 Like

Real estate is pretty high where we are too. Luckily we got into our house about 15 years ago before the market skyrocketed. Got into it for about $315k and last appraisal had us at $680k. Tempted to sell it and live in a one bedroom apartment until the market crashes again. My wife would kill me though

3 Likes

Our market here is ridiculous too. I’ve already got $150k in appreciation in 18 months. You might recall, I sold my last house after two years and made 40%.

With building the custom home, the house itself usually costs $150-200 (same where I live), but you have to add utilities, LAND, road, site development, etc. At least where I am, the sq. ft. Cost just gets you foundation up.

I also wouldn’t GC it, solely because it’s too emotional being my own house… if I was single I’d do it, tho.

$500k is in line with what I’d suspect, on the higher end. My ball park, when we considered building was $450-600k.

$200k - Land
$75k - utilities, road
$275k - house (~$175x1600)
$550k

Instead, I bought my current new house (I chose finishes) and paid less than $400k and have a far bigger house (2600 sq. ft.). It’s jusf a small lot at 1/4acre instead of 2-5acres.

2 Likes

West side of Richmond, good school system and nice neighborhood, 3 BR 2.5 ba 2 floor townhouse with a backyard for $129K. Will be moving eventually and renting this out - mortgage is 816 and I could rent it out for 1400+ easily. First house, got it at 25, coming up on 4 years here. It’s been great, and more affordable than renting. Virginia has a lot of flaws, but it’s one of the best places for young families.

1 Like

First and foremost, I’d like to congratulate you on your child. That’s awesome, and I couldn’t be happier for another T-nation father.

Second (and I know i’m late on the conjugate talk), have you looked into any of Burley Hawk or StormTheBeach’s (Mike Hedlesky) stuff on it? They both have an immense amount of info on training conjugate for raw lifters and I’ve learned a lot of little training tid-bits from them alone. Also, if you can find any of the older Massthetics info on training conjugate, they had some good shit on peaking.

Yeah I grew up in London and have more recently lived in Dublin so I just assume all this talk of houses costing less than a quarter-million is some kind of gag.

1 Like

Yep. Last time I was looking at properties it was in central Brighton. A quarter million would probably pay for a really nice garage.

Just a general nod, I love that you just called electricians ‘sparkies’, and am going to attempt to single handedly bring it to Central WY :joy:

3 Likes

We were called sparkies in AR

I thought that was a British thing.

We share a lot of slang with the Aussies but sometimes they take it to a whole new level by getting durries from the servo yeah nah.

2 Likes

Does this post come with subtitles?

3 Likes

1647sqft to be exact!
Yeah it was a surprising value that they through at us. I’m currently pursuing as many alternate builders as I can to get some prices for comparison.

Wow, that’s awesome. We lived in our last place for 3.5yrs and managed to earn around $80k of appreciation (~30%).

Oh man, that’s awesome. I feel bad to have been renting for the last 8 months and missing out on all the appreciation that is still going on! I really thought things were going to start leveling out or possibly dropping…not the case!

I paid $2 for my 2 acre lot (minimum purchase for title transfer). We have a large parcel (100 acres) of family property that I’m building on. That is where I expected to see big savings. I mean, I’m already in $20k on the lot itself for legal survey, lawyer fees, well drilled, entrance permits, health unit/environmental agency approvals, etc., etc.

That’s a solid ROI. Rent here is typically between 1100-1800, but houses are triple the price of that!

Thanks man, I really appreciate that! We are very excited to meet the little guy.

No I haven’t actually. Their names are familiar, but I will start digging into some of their conjugate works. Thanks for the tip.

I will definitely try to dig up some of their stuff and try to apply it, especially for peaking. Thanks man!

Lol, we bought our last one for $250k, now $350k gets you the same house less than 5years later…

Yikes! $40k would likely build a very nice garage here.

In that case, yea, I’d GC myself. It’ll move slower, but you’ll save a hell of a lot.

Damn sparkies make $95/hr fully burdened here. I think their hourly take home is $52, but add benefits and markup it’s damn near $100/hr

2 Likes

Traphouse Barbell Conjugate W6D3
DE Lower
Barbell Bench - red mini bands doubled, 50%
45 x 5
45 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3 - comp grip
185 x 3 - comp grip
185 x 3 - comp grip
185 x 3 - close grip
185 x 3 - close grip
185 x 3 - close grip
185 x 3 - wide grip
185 x 3 - wide grip
185 x 3 - wide grip

Reps were pretty good and fast throughout. I might not use the term “explosive” but they were fast. 3 reps under 3 seconds, which is one of the guidelines I read to know if you’re getting too heavy.

GIANT SET
Cable Triceps Pushdowns
80 x 5
100 x 5
100 x 5
100 x 5

Banded Triceps Pushdowns - green band

Seated DB OHP - not back supported
60lbs x 8
60lbs x 8
60lbs x 8
60lbs x 8

Good weight for the OHP. Triceps were fatiguing, so I could really feel the delts starting to work.

SUPERSET
Pullups - hands just outside shoulder width

Ab Wheel Rollouts - from knees

Coach was busy today, so I did this one in the basement gym. Good workout, in and out in under 40mins.

8 Likes

Traphouse Barbell Conjugate W6D4
DE Lower
Deadlift - sumo
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 4
405 x 4
405 x 4
405 x 4
405 x 4
405 x 4

Good fast reps, felt strong pulling from the floor with no bands (it’s been awhile!). Today was my last day of working out from home, back to the gym in town starting tomorrow morning.

SSB Squat
45 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 5
335 x 5
335 x 5
335 x 5
335 x 5
335 x 5

Wider stance than my typical comp stance. Usually I squat shoulder width or even more narrow. I was outside shoulder width with toes pointing more outwards. Felt pretty strong through these, but as the sets went on I could definitely tell that my hams/hips/groin were starting to fatigue. These used to be VERY weak on me, but are finally starting to come up a bit. I’m looking forward to how it will all translate when it comes to hitting the platform!

My sister-in-law is in town tonight and staying over at our place. This workout above still took nearly 40mins, but I skipped all accessories as we were going to town to meet up with her for the evening. 8:30am Max Upper tomorrow!

6 Likes

Traphouse Barbell W7D1
ME UPPER
BB 1-Board Bench Press
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 6
265 x 4
295 x 2
335 x 1
380 x 0 ← I hit my weak point (mid-press, where weight switches over to triceps), and weight just stopped moving.

I was displeased with that miss. I was really hoping that my bench has gotten stronger. I think it has, somewhat, but 375lbs is an old (2017) lifetime max of mine, and I’m really hoping to beat that in the next few months.

I’m a few days late recording this now, so i’ll just skim over the assistance to what I remember doing:
25lb weighted chins: 5x5
30lb DB Lat Raises: 5x10
Chain Curls: 3x10
Banded Triceps
Sprinter Crunches

5 Likes

It wasn’t exactly a small jump in weight to be fair.

1 Like

Haha yeah, coach laid out the following for us:
40%x10
50%x8
60%x6
70%x4
80%x2
90%x1
[NEW MAX]

I could have probably thrown a 95% single in there to soften the jump.

A new bench PR is coming, but boy is it being a stubborn SOB.

1 Like

I’m extremely late to the party, but did I read right? House and baby? Congrats!

1 Like