Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

You’ve got me thinking with this. Sort of a double progression on DE work.

Louie uses doubles, triples, or 5s. I’m thinking of rotating the reps either by week or cycle.

2 Likes

Not a bad idea. Like going 5’s for the 50%, 3’s for the 55% and 2’s for the 60%?

My legs/glutes are still quite beat up…and max lower tonight…

1 Like

That’s one way or

Cycle 1: (3 weeks) 12x2
Cycle 2: 8x3
Cycle 3: 5x5

It would allow to track or identify how deep into a cycle you are by what rep scheme the DE work is at. Basically 9 weeks.

3 meets a year. Regional, national, world. Dates for each. And the 12-15 week cycle falls into the slots nicely.

1 Like

Looking massive in them shots bud! great muscle mass and those forearms are thick. excellent stuff. I see the workouts haven’t decreased any, still hardcore. Great work!

Thanks man! Not feeling bad with where I am at the moment, so that’s always a good thing.

Thanks, but on that note:

I skipped my workout yesterday, lol.

Coach was off yesterday for March break (high school week off of school this week), so I was supposed to just do my heavy lower at my home gym. Hamstrings, quads, and glutes are still very sore from Friday’s brutal workout. I feel like recovery hasn’t been great (too many adult beverages last weekend and not enough sleep, oops), so called it an extra rest day. Coach won’t be too impressed. He asked me last week if I was still suffering from “pussy-itis” after I tweaked my hamstring, lol.

Today is another rest day, but I might do some pre-hab work and/or yoga to get limbered up.

Also, were just given a ballpark price on our custom home that we have finalized the design for…uhm…way over budget. This was a price from the designer, who would then go and hire out the work and be the General Contractor themselves.

I had planned on being the General Contractor myself to save money, but now that we are expecting a munchkin entering into our lives in early July, we want to expedite the process.

I’m now contacting a long list of contractors to get some more competitive pricing on the work, and hopefully can bring the price down by $150k lol

4 Likes

I guess you don’t call it Spring Break due to your frigid weather. We actually have some spring-like weather too - partly sunny and like 60 degrees yesterday and rain today.

That’s a big number! Our house was only $167k total.

The title of “designer” just sounds expensive.

1 Like

Haha, we are getting close! We are starting to hover that 0 degree C mark (32F), we just tapped the trees this past weekend (maple syrup production will be in full swing over the next month or so).

I know right!?! We expected the house to cost somewhere around the $350,000 mark ($260,00USD - the housing market in our area right now is crazzzyy) and they just told us on the weekend they would have it built for around $500k! As much as I love the idea of being mortgage broke for the remainder of our lives, I think we will do a LOT of looking around for better prices…

I may not live in the prettiest place in the world but our housing market is cheap compared to the rest of the US.

How big is the place? Bedrooms, baths, square footage?

3BR, 2Bath, 1600sqft elevated bungalow. 9’ ceilings (main floor and basement), attached 28’x30’ garage. 16’x12’ screened-in deck on the back and a walkout basement.

While I understand we didn’t exactly design a cheap house, I still thought that $500k was VERY high (when most people were telling me to expect ~$150-200per sqft).

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty steep. Our house is like 2800 Sq feet plus an unfinished basement. 3BR/2.5 BA, three stories. It’s a big square house so each level has the same space.

Big living room, entryway, formal dining, and kitchen on first floor. Three bedrooms, two baths, and laundry room if second floor. And the third floor could be it’s own apartment if it had a bathroom.

Our previous house is a Tudor colonial style. 3BR/1.5 BA and 1600 Sq feet. It cost $105k!

I know your garage and patio add a bit but I wouldn’t expect it to be that much.

Good luck finding a better price!

1 Like

What the hell are these guys putting down for contingencies? That seems like a large gap. We paid 171,000 for our 1600SF home

This was just the ballpark he gave me. They sell the material package for the house, and then would tender the contract out themselves through their verified builders. I’m not sure of the details of the contract, but regardless, it is too expensive for me!

I just passed on buying a 90acre farm that is adjacent to my family property (of 100acres), for $600k. If I knew building was going to be $500k, I would have considered it further!

1 Like

Thats a pretty penny man lol. At least itll be how you wanted it. Hopefully you can work that down some

It won’t be happening this year if the price doesn’t come down significantly. Trying to keep a positive mind about it though. I have just contacted 8 local custom home builders this morning, so I hope to get some quotes/estimates coming in within the next week or two. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

Just count yourself lucky you aren’t buying down here in Melbourne. You could more than triple that price !!

2 Likes

I would brag about my $60K, 2300 s.f. old Victorian house, but I’ll be too busy spending 10’s of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours building a deck, demolishing and rebuilding the wrap-around porch, and putting in new floors in the downstairs this Spring/Summer… Old houses have their own costs above and beyond purchase price.

4 Likes

I think that’s where the price comes in. I always figure for every layer of contractors and subbies you add costs because each lot need to make a profit.

Just as an example, the company I work for charge 70 AUD per hour per person on site, and that’s just labour costs. No material, no drawings, nothing. The most any of the people on site get paid is 35 AUD per hour. Add nine per cent super and well call it 40 AUD (and that’s an overestimation). That’s a bare minimum of 20 AUD per hour profit per person on site after insurance, etc. Imagine what a whole slew of companies will do to your costs, especially when you’ll have sparkies and plumbers who will cost a LOT more than cabinet makers.

1 Like

Yikes, I guess I better choose my audience carefully when complaining about house prices, lol.

Haha, yes but I’m so damn cheap that this would allow me to sleep much better at night than dropping half a million dollars on a roof over my head…

Unfortunately I know the game all too well. I work in Project Management, so I hire contractors/subs all the time in my line of work which is why I was hoping to carry out the role of General Contractor myself (saving one major markup cost). My wife and I expecting our first youngin’ in July has made the schedule more of a priority and I had to admit to myself (and her) that it could be done much quicker (and with less headaches) if we hired a professional. So, I had expected to bend over, but also expected there to be lube.

3 Likes

Unless there is some sort of environmental provision, location site shipping difficulty, lot restrictions that require creative engineering, architecture significance, permit restrictions, truly exceptional finishes, and artisan craftsmanship that is way too expensive.

How big is the house?

Some of the big custom homes I did back in the day could reach that price point but they were importing marble with gold flake from Italy, cork panels from Brazil, etc. The finishes were also all top shelf custom woodwork and built ins everywhere. Extravagant showers and baths. Really nice stuff that dreams were made of.