ME UPPER

BENCH WITH BLACK SLINGSHOT
45 x 20
135 x 15
225 x 8
315 x 2
375 x 1
405 x 1 - came up pretty quick
425 x 0 - it was coming up quick but I lost my elbow-wrist stack and lost the rep. It was there if I stayed in the groove. Happy with this even though I needed some spotter assistance here.

JM PRESSES WITH CAMBERED BAR
185 x 6
185 x 6
155 x 6

GIANT SET
LAT PULLDOWNS
15, 10, 10

GREEN BAND FACEPULLS
25, 25, 25

GREEN BAND SHRUGS
25, 25, 25

Good workout. Had to get this one in quick as we are out of town for the weekend to visit the in-laws. Should be a good weekend. 4 day weekend for me!

Quite pleased with hitting the smooth 405lb bench with the Slingshot. 425 was there, just misgrooved it. Upper back knotted up in my early sets this morning so I brought my lacrosse ball with me to hopefully do a little work on it this weekend.

Have a good weekend yā€™all!

ā€œI donā€™t care how rough the waters are, just bring the ship in.ā€

8 Likes

I just learned this with my recent board press. Being tight and hitting the groove is the key to moving big weight. I thought I was getting tight in the pastā€¦I got tight for the first time last ME bench day. Iā€™m excited to see how this progresses now that I know what Iā€™m looking for.

1 Like

My sleep schedule is poor and my ability to keep training consistent has been non existent, but thereā€™s lots of other factors in there as well that probably donā€™t apply to you. Health issues with both babies, long and antisocial work hours and outside commitments are the issues for me. Plenty of people find ways to train successfully with young kids though, itā€™s not the same for everyone.

If I had to give unsolicited advise about young kids it would be to get them in a routine early doors. We were (in a way) lucky to have this forced on us and it was an absolute life saver.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about the additional difficulties, I canā€™t imagine it being easy to raise two kids even when everything goes well!

I have heard that from a few people now and had a particular book recommended to me that I just started ā€œOn Becoming Babywiseā€. I know it is just a book, and real life could/will look very different but we are trying to prepare for it as well as we can!

1 Like

What to expect while your expecting is good for the pregnancy.

Best book for raising kids for us:
Dare to discipline- James Dobson
Raising boys
Strong willed child

Parting with love and logic: Foster Cline

1 Like

We spent a long time in childrenā€™s hospitals and that has a way of giving you a different perspective on these things. Both of my kids will grow up at home and free from any long term health conditions and thatā€™s more than enough for me to be grateful for.

In many ways I wish Iā€™d prepared more, sounds like youā€™re one step ahead of us there. We kinda lucked out with the routine thing but itā€™s worked like an absolute charm. Unless theyā€™re ill, both have slept reliably pretty much since day 1 and thatā€™s an absolute life saver.

1 Like

I will definitely start looking into some of these. Thanks

No book will prepare you for a leaky shit that is all the way up their back and in their socks!

So many funny poo storiesā€¦ Well funny now but not at the time!

4 Likes

Routine, structure, consistency, etc. are very important for kids. Our kids are in bed by 8pm. It gives my wife and I some alone time (and she usually does homework for school). Regardless of bedtime, routine and boundaries are crucial.

You will definitely find time to train with your home gym. My kids are 5 and 2 and I train as much as I want and my wife trains for marathons and ultras. Itā€™s all about priorities. Itā€™s important to us so we make it happen. My wife regularly gets up super early and runs 20 miles on Saturday morning before I go to work. I go to work at 7am! Lucky for her (and me), sheā€™s a morning person. She gets the mornings and a couple evenings during the week and I get what I need which is usually only one evening a week.

3 Likes

My little man had a stoma bag for the first 10 months. After that, nothing the little lady could throw at us bothered us at all.

1 Like

You have to learn your enemyā€™s tactics and adapt.

2 Likes

This also made a huge difference for our kids.

We ate as a family at the table almost every week night, bed time 8:30 no compromise. (My 19 and 16 year old are still going to bed at 9-10 :joy:)

2 Likes

Mine too, that is AM time right :slight_smile:

Nah joking, mine at 18 and 21 are staying up late now, in the weekends that is. But the little one has pushed it to around midnight most weekdays unfortunately.

2 Likes

Shit dude, you and Hog and both on Conjugate! Just leafed through some of your posts - crazy strong. Iā€™ll be following. May Louie hypertrophy your hams and yoke your traps

1 Like

solid bench session, and it must feel nice to get the 4 wheels on the bar. How do you find the slingshots in training?

1 Like

Forgive the ignorance but what the heck is a slingshot? Something that aids in bench? Looks like a solid session though. Would love to eventually hit a 400lb bench!

Amen to priorities! Itā€™s so easy to let the kids dominate your life. We call it order of operations and in our home it goes God, Spouse, Kids. As a follower of Jesus I like to think of the two spouses as the bottom corners of a triangle and God as the top. The closer we are in our relationship with God the closer we are to each other and vice versa

2 Likes

Forgive the ignorance but what the heck is a slingshot? Something that aids in bench?

Mark Bell and couple other guys came up with a bench aid. Think of an elastic band but you tuck it around your elbows.

1 Like

One of the best illustrations my wife and I ever saw early in the marriage! I still share it with young people wanting to tie the knot

1 Like

Ours should be coming in in the next day or two from Titan, how do you like the JM presses with it? I like JM Presses, dislike them with a straight bar, was thinking that the thicker bar may be better?