Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

My lower back started to ache just reading this…

I feel the impulsive urge to buy some bands right now. Everyone’s using them!

My phone is downloading the Explosive Jump file right now. Thanks!

1 Like

Hahahaha! One minute is not short. You’re a beast man. 675 DL at a deficit! Holy crap. Way to go. My lower back hurts just reading that session lol

I’ve trained alone for 99% of my workouts for the last 4-5 years now, so training with others is definitely new. I’m still training alone in terms of not doing the same workouts with anyone or sharing equipment, etc., but having people in the gym has definitely been an additional external motivator for me.

Oh man, it was pumped up. He had one other guy in there doing a similar lower back pump superset, and he was dying as well lol. Good times.

No problem man, I was stumbling around looking for some Westside Manuals to read and came across that one. I honestly haven’t even scrolled through it yet, but thought that it might be something up your alley (or maybe I shouldn’t have judged the book by its cover?).

Haha, well only 545 to 575 was probably a deficit and then the last 100lbs came on at regular height! But thank you, it was one of those lifts that took a sustained maximal effort to complete. Previously, I would only go this hard less than 5 times a year! Now, I’m going Maximal Effort twice a week! (One lower and one upper, on rotating lifts; as per The Conjugate Method)

I’m going to need to start prioritizing sleep! (I say this every other day…) Last night was another under 6hr sleep, which isn’t bad by a lot of people’s standards, but I have no reason to get less than 8hrs per night right now.

2 Likes

That’s a hard one. I’m usually 1130 or 12 to 6. Last night I made it into bed by 11 though. Too bad there aren’t 26 hrs in a day. That would help. Between, work, kids, wife, training, and food prep I feel spread thin at times.

SSB march! I’m definitely stealing that.

I’m still without this large responsibility, so I should easily have 2hrs more per night to sleep than you do!

It was definitely a good little finisher! Last week I ran a band through my lifting belt and under each foot and did a 3minute march, and it lit up my hips. So lots of direct work to target my weak points! Touch wood I haven’t felt healthier (in terms of aches/tweaks). Hips are feeling strong, elbows aren’t angry, shoulders have been behaving and knees are good.

I asked my coach about different recovery methods (foam rolling, lacrosse ball, stretching, etc.) and he basically said they are fine, but he has had much better results addressing/strengthening weak points than with the former methods. My top 3 weaknesses that he has identified are triceps, lower back, and hamstrings. So a lot of my assistance work will be tailored for strengthening these areas.

2 Likes

It’s definitely an add-on to his other books. It doesn’t cover an actual training session or workout. It clear that Louie is crazy!

I know science and text books are disconnected from real life trial and error but I’ve never seen it even heard about people doing the stuff he’s doing. I can’t say it doesn’t work though.

I’m curious about how he would actually train an athlete. Is there an in - season program that reduces volume?

Everything I’ve ever studied or done dials it back for the season. Practice becomes the training stimulus for plyos and conditioning.

It’s definitely up my alley. I just wish I didn’t have crap anatomy in my hips. My structure causes hip impingement so it’s hard to force myself to squat just because I can. I don’t want a titanium hip!

How would you do ME day with lunges or split squats?

Since we move to the new gym. I’m experiencing this too. I’m not the strong gym anymore. And there are some big beefy cockstrong dudes at the gym. It’s cool to see how they work. I can’t say I’m too impressed honestly. Most of them don’t seem to know jack and are just doing this or that.

But there are some dudes that I will be able to learn from.

1 Like

Is this possible? Who can we call about this?

1 Like

I need to do some more reading into The Conjugate Method myself. I don’t really know what sort of peaking protocols they use prior to a meet (I’m assuming it would be different from the norm, just as the training method is).

That’s awesome Hog. I am the strongest dude in this gym still, but my coach is much more knowledgeable about training than I am, so I’m letting him take over the reins 100%. Accessory volume has also increased significantly so I wouldn’t be surprised if I put on a little mass in the process too!

It would be great, but I’m afraid I would just find something to waste an additional 2 hrs a day doing… or hell, they would probably just make the average work day longer if that was the case!

1 Like

Traphouse Barbell W2D3
DE UPPER

Speed Bench - 2" pad under shirt (45%)
45 x 20
45 + red mini bands x 15
160 + bands x 3 - regular grip
160 + bands x 3 - close grip
160 + bands x 3 - wide grip

Not as explosive as I would have liked to been here. I’m hoping that speed bench will wake my bench up, because it is clearly a weakness.

High Incline DB Press - 1 click down from 90degrees
30lbs x 20
50lbs x 20
50lbs x 20

TRAP/UPPER BACK GIANT SET - all movements done face down on incline bench
DB Rows
50lbs x 15
50lbs x 15
50lbs x 15

DB Shrugs
50lbs x 20
50lbs x 20
50lbs x 20

“Y” Raises
10lbs x 10
10lbs x 10
10lbs x 10

SUPERSET
Banded OH Triceps Extensions
50 per arm
50 per arm
50 per arm
50 per arm
50 per arm

Triceps were toast. Started doing these standing, then kneeling, then moved the pin higher on the rack…just kept decreasing resistance. Lots of rest-pause sets to get these reps.

Standing Banded Crunches - Green band

Fat Gripz on a Football Bar
100 curls without dropping the bar

This took quite awhile and I sorta cheated by resting the bar on my thighs, forearms/biceps/shoulders were on fire.

Feet Elevated Wide Grip Pushups
100reps for time: 4min 35s

Took a lot longer than I had hoped, but I was gassed. I was eeking out 5rep mini sets, then 4 reps, then 3 reps. Ughh.

Finisher:
SSB Squats for 5minutes (!!):
Minute 1: Regular Stance (~20reps)
Minute 2: Wider than shoulder width (~15reps)
Minute 3: Wide Stance (~10reps)
Minute 4-5: Sumo full width stance (~15reps total)

Upper back, legs, hips, lungs, everything was tired from these!

Good workout. Exhausting workout. This one took around 1hr 20mins.

8 Likes

Good grief, that looks awful! @flappinit, get a load of that finisher. It seems right up your alley!

3 Likes

Greg hasn’t much positive to say about it. He said they peaked squat using bands to a circa max so it was really hard to figure out straight weight; and they didn’t really peak bench.

Tbh a simple peaking method would probably work fine.

2 Likes

Jesus. After that long ass workout, no less. Awesome work, @littlesleeper

I was thinking this as well. It would be a good way to see if The Conjugate Method works rather than if a new peaking protocol didn’t work well.

Thanks Flap, it was a doozy of a workout!

2 Likes

That’s what I love about those workouts though. Halfway - or even a quarter way - through the workout, your mind is beginning to play tricks on you. “Maybe I’ll cut one set out from the last exercise.” But you keep pushing and fighting, and no matter how bad you feel during, say, 5 minutes of SSB squats (crazy fuck), 30 seconds after finishing the endorphins come rushing in and you feel like you’ve pushed yourself to a new level.

4 Likes

Haha, having the coach yelling in my ear ensures that I don’t start cheating myself! Previously, working out by myself, I may have been inclined to skip a set or two…
You’re spot on about feeling great after the fact though!

1 Like

Holy moly man…incredible!

1 Like

You’re a beast Sleepy that was a hell of a workout, I got tired just by reading it… and that was before the finisher.
Awesome.

1 Like

EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT!

My wife and I are expecting our first child in July (wow, that is coming up quick!). We just found out that it is a boy! So a littlelittlesleeper is on the way.

We are both very excited, but we have a whirlwind of a year ahead of us! Between building a house this Spring and having our first child we are going to have our work cut out for us. I think training will take a bit of a hit (which is fine), which is why I’ve decided to prioritize my powerlifting goals for the next few months and hopefully find a meet in early June where I can crush some of my goals. I’ll be able to feel much more at ease with putting training on the backburner knowing that I gave an honest effort at getting better leading up to this big life event.

We are not going to be done building our forever home yet when the child comes, so it will be a hectic few months (July, Aug, Sept) until we can get moved into our new place and settled (either temporarily staying in the basement apartment we are in, or moving in with my Dad for a few months).

A little sacrifice during the middle half of this year is going to put us in an awesome place in life for years to come. Not trying to gloat here, just being appreciative and grateful for what we have.

16 Likes