Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Another day waking at 219.8lbs.

We have DE Lower on the menu tonight.

On another note, we are on version 8 of our house drawings. Starting to get into the finer details of the house now! Looking forward to getting this complete, as there is still a long list of things to do before we break ground!

3 Likes

Should be awhile before you can pour concrete so time should be fine

1 Like

Yes, but more often than not I think the same way, until Iā€™m rushed and running out of time! It should all work out, big time looking forward to living in a brand new house with a 7 year warranty on it!

4 Likes

02/08/2019
Traphouse Barbell Conjugate W1D4
DE Lower

Banded Box Squats - super wide stance, 12"box + 2" mat + Blue Heavy Bands
45 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5

Prescription was 5x5 @ 50% of my 1RM from my ME Lower (Monday) + bands. Bands definitely added some stability difficulty while also reinforcing the required explosiveness to maintain the speed through the tension.

Banded Rack Pulls - below the knee, sumo stance, green medium bands (too light, move to blue or green + purple next time)
45 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 3
345 x 3
345 x 3
345 x 3
345 x 3
345 x 3
345 x 3
345 x 3
345 x 3

8sets of 3reps at ~50% + bands. Ended up overloading the bar a hair, but all reps felt good and quick still. Lower back starting to pump up pretty good from the squats and then deads. Mixed grip and hook grip alternating sets.

GIANT SET
GHR - bodyweight, focusing on curling ass back towards feet.

Back Extensions - bodyweight

I feel like there was another exercise hereā€¦but I canā€™t remember at the momentā€¦
Crippling lower back/hamstring pump.
Coach has found a weakness (hips/lower back/hamstrings) and he plans on getting rid of this weakness.

GIANT SET
Neck Harness - hanging 25lb plate

Leg/Knee Raises

Standing Calf Raises (15 toes pointed out, 15 neutral, 15 toes pointed in)
45reps x BW
45reps x BW
45reps x holding 35lb plate

Finisher
Reverse Hyper
160lbs x 25
160lbs x 25
160lbs x 25
160lbs x 25

I had to get 100reps breaking it up however I wanted. A nice lower back pump here, but they felt pretty good.

Another great workout. Putting in lots of work, but not feeling drained or beat up yet, so thatā€™s a plus!

5 Likes

Nice work man!

We are joking a new gym tonight and will have access to some new toys! Rev hyper and GHR

Tonight we donā€™t lift until 10:30 :flushed:

1 Like

Nice! The night crew. Put in some work man!

We are back at the iron at 8:15am tomorrow morning for ME Upper.

2 Likes

I picture this box being about calf height. How do you stand up after you squat that low? :smile:

Howā€™d the neck feel after your first run at this last week?

Nice session Sleepy
Lots of work in there

Lol, it is quite low! It would be an inch or two below parallel, and standing up is not easy! Very slow out of the hole by ā€œspreading the floorā€. With these super wide box squats he really wants to strengthen my hips. I wonder if I super wide stance box squat would be a variation you could get away with without hip pain?

After the first session my neck was quite sore the next day. This time around, I still felt them a bit the next day, but nearly as bad.

Thanks! Yeah, these sessions are definitely go, go, go. Not much time in between anything. Coach is already barking out our next exercise before Iā€™m finished the previous one.

2 Likes

I doubt it. I tried to go a little wider and thatā€™s where it hurts the most. The more narrow I stand, the better it feels but I obviously sacrifice depth. Iā€™m done with squats!

1 Like

02/09/2019

Traphouse Barbell Conjugate W2D1
ME UPPER
Football Bar 3-board Bench Press
45 x 5
135 x 5
205 x 2
245 x 2
315 x 1
355 x 0 (well, 1 coach assisted rep)

The football (swiss) bar really changes the bench for me. I think it makes it even more triceps dominant (which would make sense as to why he had me using it). Then using the 3-board we really made it a triceps movement, which he has identified as my weakness.

Black SlingShot Bench - using 90% of my 1RM
315 x 2
315 x 2
315 x 2

ā€œThe Dirty Thirtyā€ Triceps Giant Set - all done with an EZ-curl bar with 35ā€™s on it close grip
Over and Backs
10, 10, 10

Skullcrushers
10, 10, 10

Bench Press
10, 10, 10

ā€œThe Shoulder Shockerā€ Giant Set - all done seated on a plyo box
Front Plate Raise - 35lbs, all the way overhead
10, 10

DB Shrug, Clean, Press - 20lb dumbbells
10, 10

Holy $hit, these were hard. It was a seated shrug, then while holding the shrug I rotated the dumbbell into the bottom press position (this is the movement that torched my shoulders) and then press.

Side Raises - 10lb dumbbells
10, 10

Leg Raises
20, 20

SUPERSET
Banded Triceps Pushdowns
50 red
50 red
50 red
50 light purple
50 light purple
50 light purple

Grip Work in Rice Bucket - each set done twisting forearms and gripping in a different direction
30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30

Thick Rope Hammer Curls - 45lb plate hanging from it
15, 5
10, 5, 5

Finisher:
Pushup Pyramid
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Micro resting in between sets. From 1 - 7 or 8 we basically did the set, went back into a childā€™s pose, and then back for another set. After that, rests were a touch longer.

Another good workout! The gym was packed this morning, so this one took a little longer. He was coaching 15+ people simultaneously, all doing various different workouts/days. 1hr, 10mins.

6 Likes

I like how youā€™re identifying weaknesses and hammering them. Who ever thought of that? Iā€™ve always hit a main lift and then hit whatever I wanted to grow.

Guess now Iā€™ve just dropped the main lift :laughing:

2 Likes

Now that Iā€™m doing it, it seems obvious. Hopefully my next trip to the platform will prove that this method works!

4 Likes

Yesterday I started to really feel these.

Today I am limping around. 3 days laterā€¦

ME Lower tonight! Excited to get there and see what is on the menu.

1 Like

Oh, and I also want to start posting one-liners in here that my coach drops on a regular basis. Super cheesy, and he knows it, but I enjoy them.

Last workout it was:
ā€œItā€™s not the type of vehicle you drive, but the size of the arm hanging out the window.ā€

5 Likes

Well some cars can make anyone look small. Like big ass truck. :wink:

1 Like

This must be why I drive a Chevrolet S10, to make me look big!

3 Likes

I have a f-350 4x4, 4 doors with an 8ā€™ bed. If you can look big in that! You got to be well over 6ā€™6"

1 Like

Traphouse Barbell Conjugate W2D2

The day we have all been waiting for.

ME LOWER
3" Deficit Deadlifts Against Green Bands - conventional, mixed grip.
45 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 2
405 x 1
475 x 1
525 x 1 - RPE10. This would have been a sexy Instagram video, lol. Slowed right down when I got over the knee and just had to give 110% and stay with it to grind through the top of the movement. Lots of good energy in the gym, everyone else (6 guys) all stopped what they were doing to watch and cheer me on. I just kept pulling until I locked it out, then did a little look around for good measure at the top/lockout. Coach enjoyed that a little and made a comment about there being no cameras.

Iā€™ll have to measure the box I stood on for these, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it was higher than 3". The bar was damn close to the top of my shoes for this. If I had to guess (based on how the deadlift felt with just an empty bar + bands) Iā€™d say the bands added somewhere around 150lbs at the top. This would put the top of the pull at 675lbs which Iā€™d be happy with.

All sets done with mixed grip.

SSB Squats to 12" Box - very close stance
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5

Felt good, no issues here. Core/lower back are really challenged from box squats

GIANT SET
GHR

Back Extensions on GHR
10, 5
10, 5

Crippling back pump. Had to limp/waddle over to the plyo box for each set of step ups.

Plyo Box Step-ups - no push off with other leg (basically a pistol squat)
10 (5 each side)

SUPERSET
Knee Raises - 10lb DB between feet

Reverse Hypers
160 x 15
160 x 15
160 x 15

Finisher:
SSB March on the spot - against purple bands
135lbs + bands x 2minutes.

Yikes, these took some effort. Upper and lower back were crying for help during this. 2min is not short.

Another good workout. Coach told me it will be important to keep my eye on my resting heart rate in the morning to make sure we arenā€™t pushing too hard.

Man it felt good to pull heavy and grind like that, especially with a good group of guys who were cheering me on. That pull is my favourite training highlight so far in 2019!

ā€œEducation is important, but big biceps is importanter.ā€

13 Likes

Great write up and sounded like a great training session. I love the comment about all the guys in the gym watching and cheering you on. Made me think about finding some friends !

3 Likes