Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Haha your before pics look like my aim for after. Looking solid.

1 Like

@simo74 - Thanks! Definitely coming in a little fluffier than Iā€™d like to be, so now is a good time to shed some fat. Going to follow a similar plan to what Iā€™ve done in the past with success.

First 5lbs (~5weeks):
Increase workout frequency (to 4x per week from my current 3x per week - more cals out)
Cut out obvious crap from my diet (booze, sweets, etc)

Next 5lbs (~6weeks):
Add in some LISS 2-3x per week, likely in the form of weighted vest walks. I already walk the dog, twice a day, so just adding the vest will help burn through some additional cals.
This is also where I often start carb cycling a bit by reducing my carbs on non-workout days. Might even implement the 5/2 diet here for a week or two.

Final 5-10lbs (remainder of competition):
Start incorporating HIIT (burpees, Crossfit type mini WODs, etc) 1+ times per week on top of LISS.
These last pounds are when I start embracing the feeling of hunger. A little more strict on my portion control in this phase. Iā€™ve had success with the 5/2 diet, so I could also be using that strategy here as well.

This wonā€™t take me to contest condition or anything, but it has been a simple strategy that has seemed to work for me before.

@mattjp - Thanks Matt! Iā€™m not unhappy with my starting point as Iā€™m feeling strong right now, and that has been my primary focus. Definitely going to be keeping my training strength-oriented, but just adding a little extra to help out the after pics.

5 Likes

How does this transformation thing work? Iā€™ve never done it before

Iā€™m trying to lose my first five pounds and Iā€™m living with hunger.

Well first youā€™ll need a pair of potaro earrings, someone of a similar size and power level and youā€™ll need to do the fusion dance to properly transform

4 Likes

Nah just post a before picture. State your goals and achieve them, then post an after when itā€™s done and dusted

Just posted my goals. May be a bit ambitious for an old guy, but we will seeā€¦

1 Like

Last 3 days weight averaged 221.6lbs. Iā€™ll be using that as my starting weight for my cut beginning today!
Going to still keep a high strength focus, but just moving some priority towards cleaning up my diet and losing a little fluff along the way.

2 Likes

Same here. Priority is still strength. May just cut out the potatoe chips :thinking:

1 Like

I just finished a can of Pringles last night, so now we have no more chips in the house. Still have a pile of chocolate Iā€™ll probably give away so that I donā€™t end up binge eating it in a moment of weakness.

3 Likes

Letā€™s not get hasty! Thatā€™s crazy talk! :rofl:

2 Likes

We have wayyyy too many Mini Eggs in the house for me to be able to try and lose fat haha, extreme actions must be taken!

2 Likes

Hey Sleepy
Havenā€™t really checked in lately, youā€™re looking damn strong,ā€¦ Well you are damn strong.
How much strength would you lose during this transformation thing?
And finally never give away chocolate :slight_smile: bring it to the fun pong hockey, youā€™ll need the extra calories there.

2 Likes

Hey Mort! Thanks for popping by. Yeah, I havenā€™t been overly interactive on here recently as Iā€™ve been busy over the holidays (as Iā€™m sure we all have).
I really donā€™t see myself losing too much strength over the course of the transformation. Iā€™m not going to be doing any sort of drastic cuts, or large changes in my training. Iā€™m just going to be taking my BF% back down near the 10% range which is a point that I think I can still maintain my near maximal strength.
I also tend to start prioritizing eating better and sleeping more during this time which both have positive effects on my performance vs. dirty bulk + 5-6hrs of sleep per night.

Iā€™ve been kicking around ideas for which program to run during this time, but right now Iā€™m thinking I might go back to the old trusty 5/3/1 (variation TBD).

3 Likes

BIG fan of Jimā€™s work myself.
There are literally tons of them to do.
Building the monolith is something some guys have run here with great success @T3hPwnisher and @isdatnutty did it in some kind of sick supersetting format.

I have also run Building the Monolith and liked that program, but I donā€™t think it would be one I would select while being in a calorie deficit. Iā€™ll have to dive back into 5/3/1 Forever and see if one jumps out at me, otherwise Iā€™ll likely just migrate towards something simple like 5ā€™s PRO 5x5 FSL while sprinking in a few + sets and/or joker sets if Iā€™m feeling good.

1/2/2018
Conventional Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 5
405 x 3 ā† Added straps and belt here.
455 x 3
495 x 5
495 x 5 ā† Kicked out to sumo for this set and next
495 x 5 ā† Sumo is much more comfortable for me to pull with. RPE dropped a bunch when I went to sumo from conventional.

Close Grip Floor Press
135 x 12
185 x 12
225 x 8
225 x 8
225 x 8
225 x 8

Incline Bench DB Tricep Ext
25lbs x 12
25lbs x 12
25lbs x 12
25lbs x 12

Cannonball Grip Pullups

First workout of the year, canā€™t complain. Things moved alright. Wife joined me for the session.

8 Likes

Looks like a great workout

1 Like

After perusing through 5/3/1 Forever again, I think Iā€™m going to give the ā€œPrep and Fat Loss Trainingā€ program a try starting on Monday.

In a nutshell:

• 4 days per week
  • 3/5/1 programming with 5x5 FSL (weeks 1-3) and 7x5 FSL (weeks 4-6) supplemental work
  • 6 week program (two cycles, no deload or change in TM, just increase in supplemental volume - however, if I feel I can move a bit more weight, I might up the TM for cycle 2)
  • Bodyweight/light assistance movements which are all performed between sets of main & supplemental work (facepulls, 1 leg squats, pushups, chinups, dips, DB rows, DB swings, ab wheel, etc).
  • Complete workouts in <45mins
  • Light conditioning 2-4x per week (weighted vest walks, pond hockey)

Main reasons for selection:

• Increase work capacity
  • Improve proficiency with bodyweight movements (I enjoyed running 5/3/1 with bodyweight assistance a while back (early 2017?))
  • 4 day per week with shorter workout times
  • Title of program

As always, Iā€™m excited to start this new program. Now that it is winter, and the basement I workout in is damn cold, Iā€™ve been feeling guilty that Iā€™m not even breaking a sweat during my entire workout these days (low reps, extended rest periods). So I think this will be a good change of pace for me. A little more of a Brian Alsruhe type program, where you are always moving all over the damn place.

Nutrition:
So far this week Iā€™ve been pretty good. Iā€™ve been brushing my teeth right after dinner which has turned me off of the late evening/pre-bed snacking. I also havenā€™t drank a casual evening pint with dinner this week.

My sister-in-law is vegan, and asked her family to join in on ā€œVeganuaryā€, which is, as it sounds, going vegan for the month of January. As a compromise, I said we would eat 1 vegan meal per day, which we have been.
Iā€™ve enjoyed trying out some new dishes, and do feel that it has reduced my caloric consumption. Something about a big olā€™ plate of veggies/rice/beans does feel pretty ā€œcleanā€.
Iā€™ve made some lentil/bean/veggie burritos, some barley/lentil soup/slop in my Instant Pot, and then some more common staples like oatmeal and berries.

9 Likes

Iā€™ll never understand why vegans like to ā€œshareā€ their eating choices. Did she agree to join you for carnivore February? :laughing:

The only problem I have with the vegan approach is protein. My wife does it but she weighs 130 lbs and runs marathons. I find that I just end up drinking most of my protein if I limit my meat consumption. Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s any healthier than just eating meat.

The new program looks good and definitely reminded me of Brianā€™s set up. Will you be constantly going or will you have built in rest between exercises or between rounds of exercises?

1 Like

Well, different people have different reasons for going vegan but I think ethical reasons are a main one. So her sharing ethical eating makes more sense than me sharing meat eating because ā€œyumā€, lol.

Ya, I havenā€™t really done enough research for me to go fully vegan, but if you watch any of those Netflix documentaries it is definitely enticing (Food for Thought, Vegucated, Cowspiracy, etc).

I think if your diet includes a lot of beans/chic peaks/lentils/tofu/tempeh you can get to ~130+g of protein pretty easily then a scoop or two of protein powder and youā€™re getting damn close.
But Iā€™m still eating eggs, and another meal with meat at the moment.

Iā€™ll have built in rest between exercises still. Jim basically says that this shouldnā€™t be a cardio session, but just aimed to increase work capacity. He said 90sec to start but try to eventually work your way to 60sec or less.

2 Likes