T Nation

Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

t-ransformation2017
powerlifting
t-ransformation2018

For my sets I find it harder if I stop. I tried doing hook grip for triples last Friday and about lost my thumbs on the first rep so I switched to mixed grip for the final two reps. That set felt much more difficult than the following one where I did three straight touch and go reps.

Said it before I’ll say it again.
I simply enjoy watching you deadlift.
Putting the bar down ever so gentle, love it Sleepy.
And the form just looks perfect and rock solid.

The three straight touch and go reps, were they mixed grip as well?

I think I tend to agree with you here, rep 1 on a set of deadlifts often does seem to be the most difficult rep. So deadstop is basically making just a whole bunch of rep 1s. I actually get enjoyment out of touch and go deadlifts. For me, a rep PR with deadstop reps just doesn’t feel as glorious as doing them “unbroken”. I’m weird though.

Thanks Mort! I was actually chuckling to myself during one of the sets that I wasn’t filming where on one rep I missed the ground and another I JUST barely grazed the ground with the plates. I was thinking Mort would enjoy those reps, haha.
I appreciate it though, I’ve toyed with the semi-sumo before and it felt decent, but I’m going to try and put in some work in this stance now and see if we can correct some weak points. Hips felt healthy after this session, but was definitely feeling some glute (minor/medius/maximus) DOMS the next day. I’ll be satisfied to be within 25lbs of my deadlift from last meet. If I can pull over 650lbs with this stance by Nov 24, I’ll be a happy camper.

My competition prep starts on Monday, and I’ll be following @BOTSLAYER 's “Working Title” program. This is a slightly different take on my last prep. Last prep was more of a 5/3/1 style and the reps/intensity ramped and dropped multiple times on the way to the meet.
This program is one big 10 week ramp. Squat twice per week, bench twice per week and deadlift once per week. I’m going to do my best not to neglect my rowing and core work during this time as well.
These are the main work sets, followed by a single AMRAP “burner” set. These burner sets are where I’m going to utilize some sort of variation for each lift.
Squats: Bands, paused, high bar, wide stance, etc.
Bench: Bands, Slingshot, close grip, long pause, etc.
Deadlifts: Bands, deficits, paused, stance change, etc.

I used straps for the following sets which always helps too.

I’m with you on how it feels. If you rack a bench or squat set (even just for a few seconds) then it doesn’t count as a rep PR…so why does it count on deadlift?

Yeah, my pull with hook/straps is significantly stronger/easier than pulling mixed grip. This isn’t the same for everyone, but learning hook grip was honestly a game changer for me. I can’t use it for much more than singles once I get over ~50% of 1RM. Bloody painful, especially since I’ve gone and chewed my thumb nails beyond recognition…

Maybe because they are called DEADlifts? They should stop dead each rep? I don’t actually know, just talking out my ass at this point.
Not a single deadlift rep PR of mine are deadstops though. Not knocking them, just I like doing TnG.

I can hook grip, but the bulk of my training is multiple reps so I just strap up and get to work. If I were to just work up in singles to a heavy weight for the day then I’d do more hook grip.

Yeah, hook grip was a game changer vs mixed grip. I still strap a lot of my sets. If you have no ambitions of hitting the platform, then I wouldn’t bother with hook grip either. It isn’t exactly comfortable.

I can hook grip too. Like I can put my hand in a mousetrap.

Video please.

09/13/2018
Squats (15x band pullaparts between several sets)
45 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
365 x 2
405 x 2
445 x 2
445 x 2
445 x 2
445 x 2
445 x 2 <- Getting up to RPE8 here, digging a little deeper than some previous sets.
Front Squat Burner Set: 225lbs x 12reps

It has been awhile since I’ve front squatted.

SUPERSET
Side DB Raises
25lbs x 12
25lbs x 12
25lbs x 12
25lbs x 12

BB Rows
225 x 8
225 x 8
225 x 8
225 x 8

Went pretty quick here between sets of assistance, I was breathing heavy (doesn’t take much at the moment).

Nope. I can hookgrip but I don’t for the same reason I can put my hand in a mousetrap but I don’t

Big heavy doubles man. Nice work

i have a video of putting a mousetrap on my ear. it hurt

100% the same. Touch and go I can grip and rip. Deadstop = dead me

09/17/2018

Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
365 x 5
365 x 5
365 x 5
365 x 5 <- RPE 7-8 at most.
Front Squat “Burner” Set: 275lbs x 8

• After my competition I’m going to put a solid effort into front squatting. This was hard. I could have kept going but I didn’t want to start grinding and air flow was not easy with how I wedged the damn bar into my throat. I feel like getting good at these will make back squatting feel pretty easy.

SUPERSET
Ab Wheel

Pullups (3s ecc.)
3+3 (~30s rest between 3’s)
3+3
3+3

SUPERSET
Side Raises
25lbs x 12
25lbs x 12
25lbs x 12

BB Curls
45lbs x 15
45lbs x 15
45lbs x 15

Added some light fluff work because I had a little extra time.

I’ve been using the SSB exclusively the past 4 months and tonight was my first true go around with back squatting. It felt excellent, so much stronger haha.

I do have an SSB as well which I probably haven’t used as much as I should. I am planning to mix things up post-comp so we will see what sort of shenanigans I get up to!

Happy to be “training with purpose” again. Day 2 of my 10 week prep/peak now and already feeling more motivated. Woke at 223.0lbs this morning. I will be competing in the 220lb class, so if I can stick around the 220-225lb mark for the next 10 weeks it’ll be no problem to trim a few lbs before the comp. Bench/Row workout tonight.

09/18/2018
Bench (done with comp pause)
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
265 x 5
265 x 5
265 x 5
265 x 5 <- reaching RPE~9 here
SlingShot Burner Set: 265 x 8

SUPERSET
JM Press
185 x 6
185 x 6
185 x 6

Not much left in my triceps after these sets.

BB Rows
185 x 12
185 x 12
185 x 12
185 x 12

These were actually getting tough.

Overall a good workout. I split up my squat/bench days from what I was doing in the “off season”.This gives me a bit more energy during my sessions to not neglect my supplemental/assistance. My planned schedule will look like:
MON: Squat (abs/shoulders)
TUES: Bench (back/triceps)
WED: Rest
THURS: Squat (abs/biceps)
FRI: Bench (single leg work)
SAT: Deadlift (back)
SUN: Rest

If I end up missing/skipping a workout I’ll just combine a squat/bench day and reducing assistance work.

Wow man your lifts are strong.

Thanks Hog. Just hoping to improve my numbers for my second attempt on the platform!