Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

1 Like

I would suggest several sets like 10 - 15 sets of 2 - 3 reps. Setup as competition and use bands.
Brian Alsruhes Darkhorse use variation lifts for heave 1 5 and 5 RM one day and one day using 10 minutes emom x 3 reps banded at about 50 - 60 % working on technique and speed.

1 Like

Nice pulls there, shame yoI missed 635 but it broke the floor so you know you can get it next time. Good work

1 Like
2 Likes

I like the idea of doing them light and EMOM, a good way to build in some volume in a short period of time!

Thanks! Yea, itā€™s there. Not peaked at all, and probably a little bit of fatigue built up from the banded variation first. I do think 635lbs is there for my conventional though.

1 Like

Yes to both. Chuck Vogelpohl was known for doing this.

09/03/2018

Squats (SS with Hanging Leg Raises 5 x 10reps)
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
385 x 5
385 x 5
385 x 5
385 x 5
315 x 10

All sets felt solid here. RPE 8 at the most. Hot and humid today. Basement floor was wet with humidity, I had to dust chalk everywhere so that I was slipping.

Bench (SS with Kipping (or at least an attempt at kipping) Pullups x 5)
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
265 x 5
265 x 5
265 x 5
265 x 5
225 x 6 ā† no leg drive (floor too slippery), so these were just done flat back

Watched one of the ā€œFittest on Earthā€ documentaries yesterday on Netflix so I was in the Crossfit mood and wanted to see if I was even coordinated to pull off a kipping pullup. Nope. It was an awkward flailing regular pullup. Somehow I started generating fatigue in my pecsā€¦or maybe this was just because it was between set of benchā€¦

Training is getting pretty stale a the moment. Heavily considering moving into more Crossfit-esque training in 2019. I think it fits much more closely with my physical activity outside of the weight room. Iā€™m starting to feel like the weight room is hurting my performance in sports more so that it is helping it. I think that Crossfit would help move me back into the athletic direction.

5 Likes

The pecs help with ā€œextensionā€ of the humerus - - flexion being raising your arm straight up like a front DB raise. Itā€™s possible to feel fatigue during a pull up.

1 Like

Haha, yeah. My wife is wanting to get more into working out and I have a couple buddies who have also expressed a little interest in like a weekly get together for a workout followed by BBQ. So like a little Saturday workout from like 10-11:30 then having a BBQ afterwards. It wonā€™t be Crossfit per se, but like a scale-able Strongman workout with some carry events, sprints, and other fun stuff to challenge the gang. I think Crossfit(ish) workouts, fit the bill a little better than my current regime. Also, they look much more fun.

2 Likes

You already sound like a CrossFitter! They have Saturday morning partner WODs.

Make sure you consume more calories at the BBQ than you burn during the workout!

This sounds like Iā€™m knocking your plan, but Iā€™m not. You know Iā€™ve dabbled on CrossFit. I hope you find a way to make it work for you.

Maybe some of us could get together and create WODs to do during the '19 T-ransformation Challenge. We could all do the workout and compare numbers/times. It woulld definitely help burn some fat and improve conditioning.

2 Likes

Haha, Iā€™d be lying if I said I wasnā€™t quite attracted to it.

This will be guaranteed!

I like to joke about Crossfit as much as the next guy, but it has a lot of things going for it that are in line with my future fitness plans. Iā€™m starting to think a bit more long term, and I donā€™t think powerlifting is the route Iā€™d like to take.

I think this is a great idea. A custom TNation benchmark workout of sorts.

Even at my buddies place Iā€™m working out at these days we are doing a monthly challenge. Nothing crazy, but just something that everyone can participate in and put up numbers/time. September is ā€œCannonball Grip Hang Timeā€. Literally just hanging from the cannonballs for as long as we can and posting times up on the white board.

1 Like

The only downside of creating WODs is that I tend to get crushed by things that appear very manageable on paper.

Iā€™ll write it up or every copy something and heā€™d to the gym. I plan to do 5 rounds for time but Iā€™m sitting on the floor eating Starbursts to fight off death after v3 rounds wondering what the hell busy happened. Am I that pathetic or did I just really underestimate the WOD?

Thereā€™s definitely some trial and error when creating WODs.

2 Likes

Haha, Iā€™ve done this before!

This is so me. I watch these and want to start snatching or clean and press. Then I try a couple and decide errrrrrrm NO

2 Likes

Give that man a prize, this is a good idea.

1 Like

Tell me about it! Iā€™m not looking forward to the learning curve of olympic lifting. Such a lack of mobility right now.

1 Like

My mobility is probably ok for a bloke the wrong side of fourty, but my timing and coordination is a train wreck !!

1 Like

Iā€™ve never liked front squats and Iā€™ve never been good at them. Doing full cleans and snatches is not for me. Itā€™s definitely not for me nor that Iā€™ve got this 100 year old hip. Iā€™ve written off front squats so that eliminates a lot of the CrossFit WODs.

Hopefully someday Iā€™ll be able to do wall balls pain free.

3 Likes

I am pro ā€˜intelligentā€™ crossfit, just donā€™t be afraid to scale to your own needs. Unless youā€™re competing it doesnā€™t really matter ya know? If the intent of the workout is for lactic accumulation, then as long as that happens itā€™s a win :relaxed:

2 Likes

Ever done box sit wall balls?