Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Very cool! I had no idea so much could be taken away from your resting heart rate! I appreciate th info. I should try and find my Fitbit and wear it to bed a few nights and see.

1 Like

Running off of just over 5hrs sleep, and debated on skipping this one. Energy wasnā€™t there, but things moved alright and pump was there.

W2D2
Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 5 ā† Added belt, still double overhand
425 x 5 ā† First rep double overhand, strapped up for next 4
475 x 8 ā† These reps felt heavier than expected. After the first rep I didnā€™t expect to hit 8, but that was my goal number.
365 x 5 x 3sets

Decided not to do all 5 backdown sets, as energy was gone and form was going to start being compromised.

GIANT SET
Pushups (BW)
20, 20, 20, 20, 20

50lb DB Hammer Curl
10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Band Lat Raises
12, 12, 12, 12, 12

Good workout for almost not having one. Been upping my calories on this program to try and see those MAXIMUM GAINS! Just need my sleep/recovery to also improve. This program is a lot of work, but Iā€™m enjoying it.

7 Likes

Looks like things are going well in here!!!

1 Like

Falling a little behind on my workouts, but itā€™s summer and Iā€™m not going to miss our short Canadian summer due to lifting!
Went and watched a buddy compete in the National Timbersports (Lumberjack) Championship this weekend then spent the rest of the time at the cottage.

W2/D3
Bench Press
45 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5
255 x 5 x 5

All sets were paused with ā€œI-P-Fā€ other than the last few reps which were more just ā€œIā€.

SUPERSET
BW Dips
12, 12, 12, 12, 12

T-Bar Rows - Close Grip Handle
115lbs Added x 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

Iā€™m going to get some conditioning in shortly. Iā€™m not exactly sure of my plan, but Iā€™m going to bring my dog to the school track a few mins away from me and do some sort of running. Iā€™m thinking a 3-4 x 400m. Nothing crazy for my first time running in a LONG time. Not looking forward to it at all.

8 Likes

Timbersports are so much fun!

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen 2 of them. Some of those lumberjack guys are jacked as fuck. Makes me think I need to start swinging an axe around and drop the curls and push downs lol.

3 Likes

That sounds fantastic!

I recommend running at a pace that you can maintain for all reps.

You could run at your goal mile pace and rest 3-5 minutes between reps depending on your recovery (8 min mile = 2 min 400)

Here are two of my favorite track workouts.

100s
Run 100m with a goal time of 16 secs
Rest 1 minute between runs
Do 5, rest 5 minutes, do 5 more

150s
Run 150m, walk 50m
Repeat 6-12 times depending on how much you want to suffer. You could also set a timer for 12 minutes and do as many as possible in that time.

2 Likes

It was a lot of fun to watch! There was also a big bike rally on that weekend, so the place was packed which was cool.

Tell me about it! A couple of the top guys were very jacked and lean.

Nice, thanks for those! Iā€™ll give those a shot sometime.

I went to the track today and there were a couple of kids and their Dad riding bikes around on the track, so instead I just walked 4 laps with the dog and went home. Decided that Iā€™d like my running debut to be without an audience lol.

2 Likes

I hear you Sleepy.

Enjoy life and come back to lifting a lot more motivated when the weather turns bad.

You have your dog with you, put on some trainers find a nice place to run. Just run/jog at a nice pace and when the dog wants to stop and sniff, well rest a bit, walk a bit, run some more, walk a bit run again.
When you can jog for about 20 - 30 minutes, then pick up some intervals.
This is something both you and the dog can look forward to.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips Mort. Although my dog is lazier than I am! I was dragging him for the last lap yesterday. He isnā€™t fat or anything, but could definitely use a bit more cardio (donā€™t we allā€¦).

I would like to run a mile at some point and at least be near @MarkKO and @Frank_C which is between the 8-9minute mark I believe? The last time I ran a mile was the summer of 2015!

3 Likes

He wonā€™t be for long, as long as you do it a couple of times every week. Heā€™ll love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think there was an article on here about conditioning for lifters. Anything below 10 minutes on the mile was deemed satisfactory. Sounds good to me!

My wife ran an 8 mile race this past Saturday morning. She took 1st for overall women and ran a 7:30 pace.

I wonā€™t allow myself to be judged by runnersā€™ standards. Theyā€™re small.

5 Likes

A 7:30 pace for an 8 mile? WOW. Thatā€™s awesome. I have no idea what I was running a mile in back when I was running a bit, but Iā€™m starting to think me running an 8min mile isnā€™t going to be realistic.

5 Likes

You could do sub seven

2 Likes

I think it has to do with will power and desire. I could probably crack 8 minutes or even get close to 7. Itā€™d be miserable every step of the way but I could probably do it. The problem is that I have no desire to ever do that again.

2 Likes

depends on your desire to do it. Itā€™s not unrealistic, but you have to put in some effort to do it.
Maybe about a month or two runinng 3 - 4 times a week, but the reward would be a sub 7 mile time or close to it. And you would begin to like running.

I agree that with a little training you could deff do a 7min mile thatā€™s only 4:20 per kilometre. I ran a 10 mile (16km) race back in 2016 in 1hr 15mins and 39 secs, thatā€™s 4:43 per km or 7 min 36s per mile. I wouldnā€™t class myself as even an average runner.

1 Like

Haha, dream big!

Ya, I heard you and Mark kicking around the 8-9 minute mark so I set my goal at that, but Iā€™m starting to think that sub 10 will be a heck of a run for me. I would like to give it a try at some point though.

I donā€™t think I have much of a desire at this point. It is kind of a competing interest with my main goal (strength), and while I donā€™t want my conditioning to go to complete crap, I canā€™t see myself investing much time/effort into achieving this feat anytime soon. But Iā€™m glad you donā€™t think itā€™s beyond the realm of possibility for me!

Wowzors. 16kmā€¦sounds like death. Thatā€™s very impressive man. In university I worked out with a buddy and to start every workout we jumped on the treadmill and ran 5mins at 5mph (if I remember correctly) which is a 12min/mile pace. This was just a warmup and got the blood moving but definitely no excessive effort was being put in for this. So I think sub 10mins would be doable, sub 8 Iā€™m still skeptical! But I wonā€™t know until I try!

07/25
Hardgainerā€™s Template
W2D4
135 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
355 x 3
405 x 6 ā† Wanted minimum 5, so I hit 6 and called it there. I was actually pretty nervous about my widowmaker set at 315lbs. Having some flashbacks to the last time I did this.
315 x 20 ā† These went quicker than the 295 x 20 last week. Quite pleased with this set. Still wooped my ass, but my soul remains.
Here is a quote from nearly a year ago from the last time I performed such a stupid thing (same program).

SUPERSET
DB Slight Incline Bench
80lbs DBs x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Wide Grip Pullups
8, 8, 8, 8, 6, 4

Very hot/humid today. This was a sweaty one.

5 Likes

Some squatting footage from today:

Tonightā€™s grub:
Salmon, sweet potatoes, steamed California Mix.

5 Likes

Except youā€™re lighter than I am, have better body composition and better conditioning. If be surprised if you went over eight.

4 Likes