Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Good to see you back. Shall be following to see how you go running this again.

1 Like

I decided to run the Crossfit (gasp) workout “Fran”.

21reps, 15reps and 9reps of Thrusters and Wide Grip Pullups for time.

Thrusters: 95lbs x 21 (15+6)
Pullups: 21 (6+6+6+3)
Thrusters: 95lbs x 15 (8+7)
Pullups: 15 (5+5+3+2)
Thrusters: 95lbs x 9 (9)
Pullups: 9 (3+3+2+1)

Total Time: 9m3s

Brackets show how I broke up the reps. I still can’t hold a front rack position so the front squats were sort of awkward with the bar in my hands out in front. But the pullups seemed to cause me the most problems. I tired out quick on those and had to do very short sets with quite a bit of rest in between. Lungs were on fire though and hit the whole body, success.

Then had a ball game about an hour later. Looking forward to starting 5/3/1 again. Going to keep my TMs modest for the Hardgainer’s Template and hopefully hit some decent volume for my + sets.

6 Likes

Well turns out I hurt my knee/ankle a little worse than I thought at baseball last night. I slid to make a kick save with my ankle to keep a hard grounder in the infield (stupid, as this is a men’s beer league - I did this two weeks ago but with my shin - I can’t turn my competitiveness off
which is why I gave up hockey). My opposite knee hit the ground hard while bent, so it is sort of bruised under where the patella would typically be in a straightened position. So I’m currently limping around like a fool on a swollen ankle and a bruised knee
awesome.

I planned on rearranging my workouts to hit press tonight rather than squats, but my wife just had her first day at her new job so I’m going to skip it altogether and spend the evening with her (watching Jurassic World, because tomorrow we are going to see Jurassic World 2 in theatres).

4 Likes

Nicely done dude. Gotta love messing yourself up just playing around haha.

1 Like

I feel your pain. Even with the kick save it’s unlikely that you’ll throw them out. I used to always dive in softball even though I had no chance of making the play at first.

Nice! We caught that in 3D a couple weeks ago. We watched the original Jurassic Park last night too see how the quality has changed and they did a hell of a job back then. There’s another one coming in 2019!

1 Like

Pitchers throw overhand or under?

This happened last summer to me playing ball.

1 Like

I know right? It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt!

Haha, I actually did! But we won 22-7 so that play made little difference in the outcome.

Underhand and minimum height of 10ft lol I guess I should have specified this is Lob-Ball! I used to play competitive Fastball and a lot of the guys from my former league now just play in this for fun. Still decently competitive for what it is.
And:
Damn! That looks nasty! I now feel like a wuss for even typing out that my ankle is swollen
it is nothing compared to that. Gotta love when you can count the laces.

1 Like

I’m not a hundred percent sure, but still sure enough to tell you that this variation of baseball was invented in Finland, and it’s also Finland’s national sport

That being said, hopefully your leg heals up fast. Limping around hurting is pretty damn annoying.

2 Likes

Thought that was Ice hockey :slight_smile:

@littlesleeper it’s a competition and you just don’t care in that.
Well done, you showed the way for the rest of the team :slight_smile:
Hope you’ll heal up fast man

3 Likes

That’s a pretty common belief - ice hockey is merely the second most popular team sport here, (soccer being first and Finnish baseball third) and the one we’re known to be good at.

1 Like

Really? haha, that’s awesome. It’s definitely fun. We have a board lying in front of home plate that the pitcher needs to bounce it off of (the board or the home plate) for it to count as a strike.

It’s a great beer drinking variation of ball!

Thanks man, my ankle is feeling better this morning but the knee is still feeling pretty sore. Trying to get the eggs out of the bottom of the fridge this morning was painful lol

Thanks Morty!

1 Like

I’m jealous of this game. All we have here is softball. The fence is 300’ and the bases are 60’. I wish we could set up an L screen for the pitcher and just have him throw batting practice type pitches from about 45’. I also want to use wood bats.

1 Like

Not sure what part of Ohio you’re in
 but, there’s the MSBL. It’s a wood bat league.
http://centralohiobaseball.com

1 Like

I’m in Kansas. I think we have an adult baseball league around here somewhere but I’m not looking to hit curve balls and 85 mph fast balls. I want the hitting part to be easy!

2 Likes

Started the 5/3/1 Hardgainer’s Template today. I am going to work through the week backwards to start out and hope my knee is rested enough for squats by Friday.

W1/D1
OHP
45 x 5
95 x 5
125 x 5
145 x 5
165 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

These didn’t feel too bad actually for the first time overhead pressing in quite some time.

T-Bar Rows
90lbs added x 10 x 8sets

45degrees Incline Press
50lb DBs x 12 x 6sets

Took about an hour with warmup included. Sweat was pouring! Feel right at home with 5/3/1.

3 Likes

Dinner: Salmon, Rice, Orange, Cucumber and Carrots

Lunch: Monster Mash + Orange

Dinner (Tonight’s): Lentils, canned tomatoes, pearled barley, black beans, chicken broth, shrimp and some spices.

3 Likes

I like the looks of that program. Did you set the tm really low like 80%? Then build numbers from there?

I want something light next program to give my body some time to adjust to new strength levels

1 Like
Current 1RM’s
1RM TM
Squat = 525 445
Bench Press = 335 285
Deadlift = 625 530
Press = 225 190

This is what I based my %'s off of. This is using 85% of 1RM, but I used quite conservative 1RMs. I hit a 551lb squat, and a 672 (sumo) deadlift in my comp on June 9th but not using those peaked numbers for this program. The bench I can tolerate higher intensity quite well so I left that right about where it should be. I’ve put a strict 255lbs overhead before but looking back through my logs I haven’t done OHP since March 15th, so I’m playing it quite conservative. Felt smooth today though!
So I suppose that was a long-winded way of saying, yes, I set my TM low, likely ~80% lol

I like this program because it uses a lot of the 5/3/1 variations wrapped in one (PR sets, widowmakers, 5x5/3/1, FSL and BBS). The prescribed supplemental work seems to mesh nicely with my preferences as well.
Widowmakers for squats - I really enjoy (hate) widowmaker squat sets. Very few things in the weight room kick my ass like these. Awesome for adding some leg mass.
5x5/3/1 - This is doing the top set for 5sets of 5. I couldn’t do this with the lower body lifts as it would be too taxing, and my shoulders actually get cranky doing high intensity OHP (while a lot of others find this with bench). So it seems to be a good tactic for my bench.
FSL - A classic, works well with my deadlift and keeps me from being stupid.
BBS - Gets some good volume in for my OHP without overdoing the intensity.
PR Sets - Used for squats and deads to really add that excitement/fear to a lower body workout.

It will depend on how I’m feeling at the end of this cycle, but I’m thinking about running this for two cycles, hitting a 7th week protocol and then pulling an anchor template from 5/3/1 Forever.

8 Likes

Remind me never to make this again. Delicious, but stomach/bowels were unhappy through the night and into today. Was debating wearing an adult diaper for deadlifts today.

W1/D2
Deadlift - conventional
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
345 x 5 - All double overhand to this set
405 x 5 - strapped up
455 x 10 - Not a PR, apparently I’ve done 465 for 10 reps before. This was a tough set, but no grinding reps.
345 x 5 x 5 - These were explosive as f*ck, because they had to be. I tried a slow rep and got a case of the hamstring shakes. So each rep/set I just powered through as hard/fast as possible. Not easy, but speed was there throughout.

GIANT SET
BW Dips
10, 10, 10, 10, 10

BB Curls (empty - 45lb)
15, 15, 15, 15, 15

Ab Wheel
11, 11, 11, 11, 11

Excellent workout. Energy wasn’t 100% but was feeling good and happy with the work done here today. Nice pump from my accessory work.

10 Likes

You’re getting back into things again Sleepy.
Nice DL session: 455x10 damn man + back off :slight_smile:

1 Like