Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Also, seems like sumo is definitely the go for you.

5 Likes

5/3/1 Beyond 1.2 W3D1
SQUATS
135 x 5
225 x 5
295 x 3
335 x 5 x 7sets (60s rest between sets)
I took some pre-workout that I had in the cupboard before my workout and Iā€™m going to attribute my stupid low back pump to that. I could barely walk after squatting my lower back was so pumped. Not a nice pumpā€¦

BENCH (wide - index on rings)
135 x 5
225 x 5
245 x 5
275 x 5
320 x 3
Add SlingShot
365 x 1 (went for a double and failed 2nd rep)
365 x 1 (moved grip in, pinky on rings)
365 x 1

AB ROLLER
15, 15, 15, 15

BLUE MINI BAND TRICEPS EXT
20, 15, 15, 15

CHINS (Neutral Grip)
8, 8, 8, 8

LAT RAISES
15lbs x 25, 20, 20, 20

5 Likes

I really dislike it when this happens.

3 Likes

Little Bonus Session:
22mins on the AirDyne (watching an episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
175cals

Iā€™m also looking to bring up my shoulders a little bit, so Iā€™m just trying to boost the volume a bit with some additional lat raises through each week.

Lat Raises
15lbs x 20reps x 4sets

NG Chins
6, 6, 6, 6 (controlled ecc.)

Good little bonus workout.

2 Likes

When you start trying to cut, do you start adding bonus cardio sessions? Dieting hard?

Iā€™m currently in a bit of a transition phase. I havenā€™t dialed in my diet completely yet as I still have two scheduled binges over the next two weeks. This is week 3 of maintaining around 215lbs, which is rather heavy for me (most Iā€™ve ever seen on the scale in my life is 217lbs).

Iā€™ll be leaving my diet as-is over the next two weeks, but since Iā€™m only running a 3day/week template, I will try to squeeze in a bonus session or two if time permits. A little extra calorie burn, and hit some weak points while Iā€™m getting in those extra cals.

Iā€™m hoping over the next two weeks to be done with a few of lifeā€™s hurdles that have made things extremely busy for me recently.

Right now Iā€™m just eating whatever is around me, so Iā€™m assuming my metabolism will be revving high when I drop into a deficit. When I do start dieting, it usually doesnā€™t take much other than consistency to get the scale moving in the right direction.

My typical fat-loss diet looks like:

Breakfast:
3 whole eggs with spinach cooked in coconut oil; Banana and natural PB (~2tbsp)

Lunch:
6oz meat, rice/beans, veggies cooked in olive oil

Snack:
1 scoop of protein in almond milk/water; workout days Iā€™ll have protein with oats.

Dinner:
8oz meat, potatoes, veggies cooked in olive oil

Bedtime Snack:
1-2 scoops of protein with almond milk/water

This take me to around 2250-2350cals, 190-210g Protein, ~150g carbs, ~100g fat.

I expect this approach to take me under 210lbs without too much issue. Iā€™ll add in a little bit of cardio before restricting calories further, but have no issues in dropping the quantity of rice/potatoes to keep fat melting as I approach the end of the challenge and/or beyond.

1 Like

ā€œThe Thick Cut Canadianā€¦ā€

Haha that one just came to me for whenever you decide youā€™re done with your ā€œbulkingā€ and Maple Syrup phase

2 Likes

That was super helpful - thanks for laying that out for me.

Also:

this makes you a terrible human being. Just kidding; Iā€™d imagine this is true for all of usā€¦ it just happens to be the worst part. I do tend to have to go relatively low calorie to lose weight, so Iā€™m starting to add more cardio this time around; you know, more than my normal none at all.

Thanks for the response!

1 Like

Haha, another great one!

Iā€™m thinking of starting a IG account as Iā€™ve heard it is easier to upload video clips of lifts onto it than Youtube. Also, Youtube is blocked at my work, while IG is not so I may or may not be able to do that here. So I may stick with the Maple Syrup theme for my IG account and just stick to it for the long haul. I often have Maple Syrup in my Proatmeal pre-workout as well, but often cut it out when cutting.

No problem man, nice for me to spell it all out since it wonā€™t be long until I jump back into that phase.

Haha yeah, I guess Iā€™m neither a ā€œhard gainerā€ or ā€œhard loser(?)ā€. I can put it on or take it off pretty quickly by doing just the basics. I mean, Iā€™ve never been truly shredded, but I can get 6 pack lean without a ton of suffering.

4 Likes

When cutting try walking, not on a treadmill, in the real world for 1 - 1Ā½ hour a couple or three times a week. Plug in some earbuds and just walk. Itā€™s quite a good way to burn some calories without stressing the body.

2 Likes

While good in theory, I will NEVER do this lol I hate walking, earbuds or not. There is nothing that bores me more than this, and I couldnā€™t imagine doing it for over and hour! I walk my dog a few times a week, for 1 mileā€¦and even then I almost cheat and turn around before the halfway point. When cutting I may start wearing my 50lb weighted vest for these walks, but making them longer will not be a route I take.

I would much rather watch a show and do a moderate pace on the AirDyne.

I appreciate the suggestion though, it obviously works for someā€¦just doesnā€™t go well with my preferences.

2 Likes

Then I will suggest that you donā€™t walk :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@mortdk When cutting, strength and performance arenā€™t a priority. I suggest sprinting! Train like an athlete who is in-seasonā€”lift for maintenance and get that conditioning up! You canā€™t run out of gas in the 4th quarter/2nd half/3rd period (or whatever timing your favorite sport has).

EDIT to add ā€œperformanceā€ to my sentenceā€¦stupid phone.

2 Likes

5/3/1 1.2 - W3D2

Deadlift (Conventional)
135 x 5 hook
225 x 5 hook
315 x 3 hook
415 x 3 x 7sets (straps) ā† Lower back was PUMPED again.

Really need to condition my back more. All this damn sumo has my back weak AF.
Nicer weather will be bringing out the atlas stones and keg carries again, that ought to help.

OHP (strict standing)
135 x 5
145 x 5
165 x 5
195 x 9 Rep PR I think.

BB Curls
65lbs x 12 x 5 sets

Banded Facepulls
Over 100.

Good workout, food time.

9 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure I had this conversation with myself in my head as you guys were typing it outā€¦ ā€œsounds good, but Iā€™m not doing thatā€

3 Likes

ā€¦'roids, obviously the 'roids. Letā€™s see that jawline!

3 Likes

Lol, is a lower back pump a side effect of steroids?

The jawline would be the ONLY thing not natty on me

Haha yeah, got a buddy that has to avoid certain exercises when on certain compounds because the lower back pump is so extreme.

I just assume steroids because anyone smaller than me obviously doesnā€™t know how to lift, but anyone bigger is obviously on 'roids (you know, like some thick cut Canadian)ā€¦I am the natty sweet spot. :joy:

5 Likes

Haha, well thatā€™s too bad for your ā€œbuddyā€.

This is spot on.

This has a nice ring to it.

1 Like

W3D3 (Feb 23)
SQUAT
135 x 5
225 x 5
335 x 5
375 x 3
425 x 5
475 x 1
535 x 0 ā† Nothing good to say here. I got BURIED. Immediately regretting not staying the course of the program and jumping up ahead because I just randomly wanted a squat PR. On the note of PR attempts, I am kind of looking forward to my first peaking cycle whenever that might comeā€¦will be scheduling it based on when the date is confirmed for my first PL meet (June).

BENCH
245 x 5 x 7s

ROWS
100 x 10, 10, 10, 10

W4D1
Well, this was actually the first time in awhile I was looking forward to training. Hopefully this means things are turning around on the training front. Iā€™m not sure what to attribute this to other than one of my life stressors ALMOST being complete, so I am starting to feel some relief there.

DEADLIFT
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 3
415 x 5 Hook grip until this set, added straps
475 x 3 Beltless until here, added belt
525 x 1 Hook
555 x 1 Hook - Not a pretty rep. When Iā€™m not confident in my hook grip I leave my shoulders forward to try to keep the bar in my hands, this is the second time this has happened.
555 x 3 - Straps/Sumo.

PRESS (60s rest)
145lbs x 5 x 7sets
With the lighter weight I was focusing more on MMC rather than just getting the weight overhead. I slowed down the eccentric a little as well. Boy were my delts screaming, awesome.

NG CHINS
8, 8, 8, 8, 8
(worked these in between sets of pressing) - I can probably crank out 20 straight chinups but my chinup/pullup recovery is pathetic. I could do one set of 20, then probably 5, then 2, then ā€¦fail. 8 Seems to be a happy number that I can maintain through 5 sets. Iā€™m going to start upping a set or two to 9 reps and hopefully be able to do 5 x 10 in a bit (after I drop a little fat it should be easier as well!)

BB CURLS
95lbs x 10, 10, 10, 10

BACK EXTENSION
BW x 12, 12, 12, 12

I had a really squishy, wobbly adjustable bench that Iā€™ve been using in my home gym for years. I just sold it and purchased a regular flat bench that meets PL specs. It is ā€˜foam injectedā€™ so is quite firm and no wobble whatsoever. Iā€™m looking forward to taking it for a test drive for a bench session tonight!

9 Likes