Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Why?

Wrong.

False

Also I agree with the points made by @duketheslaya. Also If you are only competing when you are sure to win, why still compete?
Competing is about proving yourself and putting it all on the line. It is about being better than you were, not being better than the guy next to you.
At least I firmly believe that.

4 Likes

So true!

2 Likes

Thanks man! I am really looking forward to it. They havenā€™t released any more dates of comps yet, so Iā€™m not sure when the first one will be.

This is basically my current workout partner, haha. His top set last night was 295 and my first set was 385 for deadlift.

Yeah, I think competing will add a new competitive edge to my lifting that should help me give a little extra push. Gives me another reason to train, other than to just be strong and big in a general sense.

3 Likes

Well, no turning back from PL now. Iā€™m balls deep. Thanks @guineapig for the promo code.

I probably wonā€™t tell my wife about thisā€¦

11 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

I pulled my top set of 5 last week hook grip and kinda felt like my thumb popped out on the last rep. Not super excited about pulling any more than 3 reps that way, but I firggin hate mixed grip. I have PR sets next week for my anchor so Iā€™ll be strapping up which will be nice.

My roommate is the owner of a 650ish pull and when we were lifting together he was like ā€œhook grip?! hook grip is for crazy people man!ā€. Found that funny considering heā€™s so much stronger than me.

1 Like

Yeah, I think Iā€™ll either hook or strap up. The last thing I want is a torn bicep (and hook grip is coming along nicely). Still need to test it out over 600lbs though.

1 Like

I think competition is a good thing and could be a great motivator; however, I think thereā€™s a line between competing and wasting peopleā€™s time.

I wouldnā€™t necessarily have to be in a position to win to compete, but I donā€™t want to be an embarrassment that wastes all the serious competitorsā€™ time. The best example I can give is for bodybuilding shows these days. Everyone wants to do a show but now the sport is flooded with people who havenā€™t done anything to prep and step on stage at 15% body fat in a speedo. They get their stage time, the crowd has to suffer through it and itā€™s almost disrespectful to the sport. I respect competition so I at least want to be prepared before I go into something.

Iā€™m also at the top end of the middle weight class at 220. I need to lose my abs and gain some weight and Iā€™ll soon be in the heavy weight class. There are going to be some big boys out there.

This was mostly a joke after watching The Mountain, Eddie Hall, Brian Shaw, and Z compete at the Arnold in that documentary. Those dudes are all 400+ lbs!

1 Like

5/3/1 SVR II Workout 4
BENCH PRESS
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
255 x 5
285 x 5
225 x 17 Racked, 15-20s rest: 3reps

BLUE MINI BAND TRICEPS PRESSDOWN
15, 15, 15, 15

50lb DB HAMMER CROSS BODY CURLS
10, 10, 10, 10

BACK EXTENSIONS (25lb Plate)
10, 10, 10, 10

Spent most of the day painting our final coat on the basement (ugh, Iā€™m sick of painting), so now just trim and doors for a fresh coat of paint, then we are ready to put the new flooring down.

Nice little arm pump here. Now house hopping to some friends places for a few pints. Happy Saturday yā€™all!

9 Likes

You are famous again!!!

14 Likes

Haha thanks for posting that man!

Morning weight 213.2lbs for the last 3 days.

Diet has been OK. No real cheats, but a beer or two/glass of wine or two per day. Havenā€™t dove into restricting calories yet. Going to get through this first cycle of SVR just staying near maintenance (maintenance = eat real food, not too much, plenty of vegetables).

Might toss a cardio session into the mix this week. I also might not.

3 Likes

5/3/1 SVR II Workout 5
SQUATS
45 x 5
135 x 5
175 x 5sec Pause
195 x 5sec Pause
225 x 5sec Pause
275 x 5
325 x 5
365 x 5
260 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Not too bad. Lower back was starting to pump up.

FULL RANGE PLATE RAISE (25lb)
25, 25, 25

REAR DELT FLYES
15lb x 12
20lb x 12
20lb x 12
20lb x 12
20lb x 12

AB WHEEL ROLLOUT
12,12, 12, 12

Didnā€™t get to the workout until late, so now Iā€™m going to Subway once again for a post workout meal, oh yeaahh.

9 Likes

5/3/1 SVR II Workout 6

OHP
45 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5
165 x 5
135 x 10 x 5sets

Last set got grindy at the end.

HIGH INCLINE DB PRESS
60lbs x 10 x 5sets

CHINS
12 x 5sets

HIP THRUSTS
135lbs x 12 x 4sets

Glutes and hams were pretty fired up from these. I might try to do these a little more oftenā€¦than once a year.

8 Likes

Recently started doing hip thrusts more often as well and so far I think they are pretty good. Canā€™t say yet If they carry over much to the deadlift but they wonā€™t hurt

1 Like

I think there are some mental cues that can help shift the focus from hams to glutes to lower back. I think itā€™s a great lift. Itā€™s all hip extension.

1 Like

Once a year is a good. You get enough rest before doing it again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

5/3/1 SVR II Workout 7

DEADLIFT
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
365 x 5
405 x 5
465 x 5
345 x 5 x 5

Working out with a partner and got too impatient changing weights back in forth (was supposed to be 10sets of 5 reps). Good enough. Yep, I like working out alone.

WALKING DB LUNGES
50lbs per hand x 12 x 4 sets

SLIGHT INCLINE DB FLYES
50lbs x 10 x 4sets

DB HAMMER CURLS
50lbs x 10 x 4sets

Decent workout since Iā€™ve been running off fumes lately. Sleep has been sporadic, at best.
Morning physique has been decent the last few days though. The 2 beer before bed each night might be helping.

7 Likes

Bench day tonight seems to have lined up nicely with the delivery of my new bench shirt and elbow sleeves! (received a notification that they will arrive today)

I just hope that they both fit; Iā€™m looking forward to trying them out. I think I tried a bench shirt on once in high school, but I couldnā€™t even hit my regular max with it. So basically zero experience with them. Should be interesting. At least Iā€™ll have a spotter.

2 Likes

600 bench press, Easy.

2 Likes

Haha, well my first goal is to hit 405lbs. But my next goal will definitely be 600lbs. Thanks for the support. :wink:

2 Likes