Back Squat
45 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 5
365 x 5

Planned on working my way up to 405lbs for a set of 5 (even had it written down in my workout book), but 365lbs didn’t move the way I hoped, so I stuck with it for a second set.
I’m currently loosely following some workouts stolen from Mike Westerling’s 12 Week Strongman Trainer book. I liked the setup and looks of his workouts, and will probably give the entire program a run through once I can commit to training consistently (when my home gym is put together, expecting this to be December or January…just in time for the T-ransformation Challenge 2020!).

EMOM Speed Deadlifts - 10minutes against red mini bands
365lbs x 1rep for 10 mins

Back Extensions
BW x 10
25lbs x 10
45lbs x 10

Planks - Bracing/squeezing everything (glutes, abs, quads, even lats, etc) as hard as I could
25s
25s

Nice little workout. Decent amount of weight moved in a short period of time. I liked these EMOM speed deadlifts. This was a good weight, speed was good, but it was still work.

4 Likes

Still strong man, nice job.

Time to start eating and getting gross, that will give you a great chance to win next year !!

2 Likes

Thanks man, upper body lifts have hung around nicely. Just squats and deadlifts have taken a hit.

Dad-bod mode, engaged. Frequent adult beverages, enjoying desserts more than usual and inconsistent gym going will make a heck of a before picture! I think I am going to go at the T-ransformation Challenge hard this year!

3 Likes

That’s a big fkn clean!!! And press!!! I guess you haven’t posted it here yet :laughing:

1 Like

Haha, thanks man! I was surprised that I got it, pretty big PR for me.

8 Likes

09/23/2019
Clean and Press - I use the term “clean” loosely, as you can see in the video above! Prescription is to clean once, strict press x 3, push press x 2 until the weight gets too heavy to strict press, then 2x push press only…if that makes sense.
45 x 3+2
135 x 3+2
185 x 3+2
205 x 2
225 x 2
245 x 2
275 x 0 - couldn’t quite get the clean high enough, then tried to continental clean it, but pinched my Dad fluff on my belt so I decided to take a break and try again.
275 x 2 - ugly clean, but weight went up. Felt a lot lighter in my front rack than I expected it to!
Held for a little longer than necessary just to really feel that weight.

DB 1-Arm Rows
60 x 10
80 x 10
100 x 10
125 x 10

Incline Bench Press
135 x 8
185 x 8
205 x 8
135 x 8

DB Front Hold - neutral grip, thumbs up
15lb dumbbells x 47second hold

VERY happy to have this PR come seemingly out of nowhere.

5 Likes

My back was a little tender today after my little hyper extension on Monday during my clean…

I was going to just take a full rest day, but Dairy Queen had BOGO for 99cents Blizzards.
Figured I should do something to burn off some of my medium Oh Henry Blizzard.

Exercise selection to provide a little traction to my spine.

EMOM 20mins:
3 burpees
3 pullups
3 hanging leg raises

An appropriate amount of cardio for my current level. Not crazy difficult, but had the heart rate up. Ended up being ~20-25s on, 35-40s rest.

3 Likes

Congrats on the big PR!
P.S. My back had a seizure just watching this part of the video…lol

1 Like

Thanks @ChickenLittle, my back is still unhappy with the decision to try and clean this weight.

I was curious what my previous PR was for overhead press and apparently I have hit 275lbs before on multiple occasions (looking back through my logs), but only for a single. So, while it is a PR, it isn’t as big of a PR as I thought it was!

Hopefully get another little lift in today that won’t aggravate it too much.

1 Like

I have no doubt another PR is coming soon. Lots of strength there.

1 Like

Ya know, Deepwater has this strange progression built in that helps you learn how to clean. I like that part of it.

I think you’d benefit from doing clean pulls for a while. Once you feel good with those then you could move on to high pulls and then finally a full clean. Worst case scenario, you get to train an explosive movement.

1 Like

There is a chance that I run in the future!

1 Like

09/26/2019
2km Walk with 50lb Weighted Vest

Just a little something to get moving. My traps tend to tire even if I try to keep them relaxed when walking with a vest on. I guess this means they are getting worked to some degree which is good for me, I would love some bigger traps (farmer’s carry are going to become a more frequent movement for me going forward).

09/27/2019
35lb Plate Farmers Carry (one in each hand, plates with handles) x 400 feet

Again, just something to get moving. We were over at our storage container and my wife was looking for some of her fall clothes, so I grabbed my 35’s that were sitting there and just walked the length of my property and back, 4 times with minimal rest in between. Not too difficult, but got a nice little trap and forearm pump out of it.
Followed this up with 30-45mins of splitting wood with the old man, mostly ash and elm.

09/27/2019
Decided to run another workout from Mike Westerling’s strongman program.
SSB Front Squat
45 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5
315 x 5

Good level of difficulty here. My upper back feels pretty weak right now, and this program has some great exercise selection for strengthening the upper back (upper back strength is obviously extremely important in strongman). Hoping to see some good growth from using some of these different movements more often.

18" Deadlifts - well, pulling from 10" blocks, so technically 18.75" height, but who is counting…
135 x 8
225 x 8
315 x 8
365 x 8
405 x 8
495 x 8

Supposed to be “working up to a very conservative 8RM”. I would call the top set hard work, but nowhere near a 8RM. I could have probably hit 15+ reps with 495lbs at this height.
It was an odd height for me, right near the bottom/middle of my knee cap. This is when the bar is actually furthest from my body/centre of gravity. The first pull of each set felt the most difficult in terms of technique, but the following reps seemed to jive a bit better having the full body tension already established. This did not feel nearly as taxing as regular deadlifts, which was refreshing.

Back Extensions
BW x 10
25lbs x 10
45lbs x 10

Suitcase Holds - One arm, with barbell
135lbs x 48s R, 45s L
135lbs x 35s R, 35s L

Wooo, obliques were blowing up trying to keep my torso straight up and down. I like these little holding challenges that he sprinkles into the program (first one was DB front hold), makes for a fun finisher.

3 Likes

Just watched that 275 clean, I thought your back was going to snap Sleepy.
Be careful Dad.
But the presses looked fine and your little yeah flex, love it.

2 Likes

Strong as maple syrup!!!

1 Like

@mortdk - yeah, I think next time I’ll just be pressing out of the rack at that weight until I can figure out how to clean.

@bigpappafrance in the house! Thanks man, just trying to live up to the log title.

1 Like

Start out every session by cleaning a light weight with perfect form.
A technical lift like the clean likes a lot of practice.

1 Like

09/30/2019
Events Day Training

Farmer’s Walk (weight listed is per hand)
115lbs x 200’ (turn at 100’)
165lbs x 100’ (turn at 50’)
235lbs x 100’ (drop at 50’, reset, come back 50’)

Farmer’s Handle Hold
235lbs per hand x 32s

Atlas Stone to Platform
145lbs x 9 (I thought it was 10, but video recording evidence proved otherwise)

Hydrant Carry (155lbs)
200’
150’

Fun workout. This was one of those workouts where I walked away knowing that this work made me stronger. I’m liking my current training even though it has been sporadic. My foundation is supposed to be poured this Thurs/Fri (weather pending) so I’m hoping that our house build will begin to take shape a little more quickly over the coming few weeks.

6 Likes

If you ever wondered how much one of those weighs now we know :slight_smile: you have that on video?