T Nation

Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

t-ransformation2019
powerlifting
t-ransformation2018
t-ransformation2017

Thanks Flats, I’ll definitely be giving these videos a watch tonight!

I thought the proper technique was using the hip flexors. I just figured it was the best for rowing performance.

All I know about rowing machines is that they are hard! So maybe this is B.S., but maybe the motion is more like pulling with the heels/hamstrings.

Who knows some good rowers?

There’s a couple a few doors down from us. They’re pretty good, you can usually hearing them rowing even with the windows shut.

I’m sure they’re getting a good abs/hip flexors workout, anyway…

Last night I did 5mins on the rower trying to mimic this technique (very slow and controlled). Wow, I was doing this wrong big time. I was doing exactly what he was warning against; pulling on your feet and driving your knees up to return to the “catch” position. It will take some practice to be able to do it the way he explained. It felt “chunky” and less fluid, but I definitely felt less stress in the hip flexors.

I also did 2 sets of this, as recommended by @IronOne in JM’s log.

Holy, these were fricken tough! 10 reps was RPE 10 lol That was not an easy movement for me. This may have identified a weakness I should be working on?

Woke at 218.8lbs this morning. Nice to see the scale moving in the right direction, but this was due to a late lunch/no dinner followed by 6 pints enjoyed with some friends. I’ll take it.

Practice makes perfect.

Side planks with abduction coupled with Copenhagen side planks with adduction really do stabilize the hips and strengthen often neglected hip flexors and glutes. Throw in some sets here and there, just another way to prehab those hips!

Thanks man, I’ll have to give these a go. Would be nice to find a cure for these cranky hips.

1/25/2019
Krypteia W3D2
Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
355 x 5
405 x 5 <- Felt a little heavier than I wanted it to.
450 x 5 <- Tough set. I have it on video. Hopefully post it in a bit.
355 x 5
355 x 5
355 x 5
355 x 5
355 x 5

Dips with 25lb plate and chinups between sets x 10
100 Banded Facepulls

1/27/2019

I played pond hockey for 1hr 20mins before this workout, so I was nice and warmed up going into it!
Krypteia W3D3
Bench
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
260 x 5
290 x 5 <- RPE ~8.5
230 x 5
230 x 5
230 x 5
230 x 5
230 x 5 <- All these FLS sets were pretty smooth.

Alternated 10 x 80lb goblet squats and 60lb RDL/Shrugs

Our little backyard rink. There is enough room for two (one behind this one). We use those concrete forms as boards to keep the puck in play. Good times.

Strong squats! And that rink is awesome. I bet yall have a lot of fun out there. Great way to get some conditioning too!

Nice set man. I’ve got a goal now. :joy:

Hell, my goal is to make 225 look that good.

Nice Squat Sleepy and awesome rink (had to google translate that word).
I played a bit of ice hockey 5 - 10 years ago. A total beginner at an old age. Great fun.
We played around a bit at a rink when I was kid, but DK wasn’t a real hockey nation at that point.
Now we’re group A yeah. Have some guys playing in NHL too.
Just to put it in contrast: Denmark has fewer hockeyplayers than Canada has hockey referees :slight_smile:
But it’s such a great game I love it, really envy you Sleepy.

Thanks! This year has been a great year for pond hockey. There have been a few years that the ice gets ruined by wet snow that then freezes, but this year it has been warm (+5) then very cold (-20) quickly so it has made for some good ice.
I didn’t lace up once last year, but have already been out 6 or 7 times so far this year.

Haha thanks man, if squats keep going the way they have been, a 600lb squat could be on the menu!

I know some people can really get out of position on the squat and battle it up, but if my squat form doesn’t remain perfect, I’ll likely lose the rep. So even if they look easy, trust me, I’m dying inside.

Lol, well when 4-5 months of your year are filled with snow and ice, you better find something to do to stay active/have fun. 90% of guys I know put skates on not long after they started walking. I was not quite 4 years old when I started my first skating lessons. I’m a strong skater, but I’ve always had bricks for hands.
Similar to football, I could run pretty quick for a little guy, and hit hard, but couldn’t catch a football to save someones life.

How are you liking the Kryptera program so far?

Lol, I’m the same way man! When I squat 405 I’ve had some people tell me “it looks like nothing is on your back” but trust me I feel all 405 pounds going up and down haha! I think all the front squatting I’ve done really allows me to use my legs and not good morning it at all.

I’m liking it. There really is nothing special about it, it just sticks to the basics and uses supersets for all the work (or maybe that is what makes it special).

Very similar to your training style, but even less overall work. I’m enjoying getting better at dips and chins, and the band pullaparts/facepulls every session have helped to keep my shoulders healthy, and upper back is feeling pretty good.