Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Nice pr!

That was off cam!

oh I had in my mind you still had me there. What is your DL at? I’m coming for you!

Thanks bud!

2 Likes

In wraps I’ve done 517x2 and 539x1. In sleeves 500, and 440x10 or 451x9. DL dead on 600 on a DL bar.

Man, you definitely have more than 500lb in ya if you can do this! But glad to have someone close in strength to keep motivation high.

1 Like

I think maybe 520 lbs in sleeves right now on a good day. Hoping for 550-561 in wraps mid year.

1 Like

Here we go folks. It is 2017 and time to tear the cloth off of the statue I’ve been building for the past few years. I’ve done mini cuts here and there to keep my fat mass under control, but I have never fully dedicated my training/nutrition to getting lean or shredded.

I plan to compete in my first ever Strongman competition this coming Spring so my workouts will still revolve around increasing/maintaining strength, but I will perform some complexes, increase training density and add cardio to aid in fat loss as well.

I’m currently in Week 3 of 5/3/1 Young Jim Wendler’s Template and I’m loving it. The 3 days per week fits my lifestyle so I intend on running this for most (or all) of my cut. Once my calories become more restrictive I presume I will have to take a slightly more conservative training max, but we will feel this out as we go.

I have enrolled in a college course that takes place every Tuesday and Thursday from 6-10pm and Saturdays from 8am-4pm beginning in February and ending in June. This leaves my workouts to Mon., Wed., Fri., with Sat. evening or Sunday being my ‘bonus’ workout likely consisting of some farmer’s walks, cardio, circuits and complexes.

Current Stats
This current cycle of 5/3/1 I used the following:

Height: 5’9"
Weight: 212.6lbs (A.M. fasted)
Arms: 15.5"
Forearms: 13.75"
Hips: 42"
Shoulders: 53"
Waist (love handles): 35.25"
Chest: 43"
Neck: 17"
Thighs: 25.25"
Calves: 16.75"

I received the “Maximum Muscle Bible” for Christmas (by CT and Paul Carter) and really enjoyed the straight forward nutrition recommendations. I will plan my calories accordingly:

Week 1: BW x 15 (maintenance) - remove all junk that is currently in my diet. 1g Protein /lb BW
Week 2: BW x 14
Week 3: BW x 13
Week 4: BW x 12 - Up protein to 1.5g/lb BW
Week 5: BW x 12
Week 6: BW x 11
Week 7: BW x 10 - stay here until desired level of body fat is reached (with refeeds depending on progress)

4 Likes

Gahd.

1 Like

I really like the look of all this brother. Really excited for this log

1 Like

Thanks man, I need all the encouragement I can get! I also re-measured my neck as you had me second guessing my initial measurement…17" is probably more accurate. Finding dress shirts to fit my neck typically leaved me with TONS of extra shirt around the torso.

I have the same problem generally. The main thing that was holding me back from doing this transformation log thing was losing size on my neck. Once the fat goes away, so does the neck. Oh well. I’m honestly most excited to see how your transformation goes. Your lifts are damn good and you sound like you have a ton of potential at a lower weight. I’m also 5’9" and it seems like us guys in the middle (5’7"-5’9") have a lot of play room for size and strength. Also, don’t worry too much about the school shit bro. You’ll get in, kill it, and better your life. After about a week it’ll be routine and you’ll wonder why you were worried. Also, just saw your before pics and jesus christ dude. Haha they look like after pics. Good luck man, but I doubt you’ll need it.

1 Like

I appreciate the kind words. I’m content with my numbers, but honestly looking back I didn’t improve as much as I would have liked to last year.
Bench: 315-355 (+40lbs) — 2017 Goal: 385lbs
Squat: 450-475 (+25lbs) — 2017 Goal: 500lbs
DL: 555-565 (+10lbs) — 2017 Goal: 600lbs
OHP: 215-225x3 (EST 1RM of 245 - +30lbs) — 2017 Goal: 275lbs

Looking beastly, dude!

You look solid, if you see this through your gonna look incredible. Legs look huge, will look amazing lean.

The sad part is, your before pic is what I want my after pic to look like lol

4 Likes

Obviously still in. You look very lean already. Plus crazy muscular. Really goood physique, mate.
It never appealed to me personally to get super shredded but I wish you all the best for your goal!

15.50" arms!?

Sandbagger!

j/k, looking good man. You can do serious damage.

@anon50325502 - thanks man! Looking forward to shredding down.

@kd13 - thanks! Each time I do a mini cut I’m always amazed at the difference I see in my legs. Hopefully getting to the leanest I’ve ever been really shows them off!

@lord_humongous - lol but then you would have to change your name to lord_averagesize

@Koestrizer - I appreciate you following along and for the kind words. It’s always been a secondary goal of mine, but what better opportunity than now to get it done with such great support and a group of people struggling alongside with you.

@IronOne - haha I know right? I haven’t put a ton of work into direct arm training, but I may do a bit more to at least try to get them to be the same size as my calves!

$200 later I have some groceries for the next few weeks:

~15lbs lean ground beef
Lots of greek yogurt (not all in pic)
Lots of cottage cheese (not all in pic)
Spinach
Lots of beans/chic peas (not all in pic)
Chicken breast
Brown rice (I already have lots of basmati)
Steel Cut oats
Fish (Basa)
Natural peanut butter
Eggs
Egg Whites
Sausages
Frozen Veggies
Fish Oil
Circumin (with piperine)
Soy sauce and mustard to marinate everything.

2 Likes

@Chris_Colucci - Would you mind merging this log into my existing Training Log? I think I’ll just keep everything together under THIS thread. Thanks!

1 Like

1/03/2017

5/3/1 Young Jim Wendler Template

Week 3 Day 1 Accessory Work (skipped yesterday)

Neutral Grip Chins
BW x 12
+50lbs x 6
+50lbs x 8
+50lbs x 9

4-Way Neck (Front and Back / Right and Left)
15lbs x 20/15
15lbs x 20/10
15lbs x 20/10

Ab Wheel Rollout (from knees)
10, 10, 10

Went easy on the abs as I want to be 100% going into tomorrow’s workout. I slept ~3hrs last night for some reason. Just lying there trying to sleep, so tonight I’m hopefully going to get caught up. I’m also feeling the beginning of a cold coming on so I’m drinking tons of water and pounding vitamins so hopefully I can nip it in the bud.

1 Like

12/01/2016

5/3/1 Young Jim Wendler’s Template

Week 3 Day 2

I was supposed to do power cleans first, but my goal of the workout today was to hit 600lb deadlift, so I wanted to be fresh for the attempt as my legs are still feeling my squat max testing from Monday.

Deadlift
135x 8
225 x 5
315 x 2
405 x 1
495 x 1
565 x 1 ← I thought I have hit this before but only have vid of a 555lb DL - so +10lb PR
600lbs x 1 ← Oh hell yeah. 45lb PR
585 x 0 (miss) ← figured I’d drop it down to 6 plates and casually hit a single, turns out I needed a lot more effort than what I gave. Also, felt a slight tingle in my lower abdomen so I didn’t go for broke. I think it was just my belt pinching my fat, but it closely resembled the feeling of a hernia so I wasn’t risking it.

Incline DB Press
50lb DBs x 25reps
70lb DBs x 20 reps
70lb DBs x 20 reps

Preacher Curls
75 x 12
100 x 21 (7 full range, 7 top, 7 bottom)
100 x 21 (7 full range, 7 top, 7 bottom)

Back Extensions
10, 10, 10

An exciting week of lifting for me. Broke (shattered) not only my current PR’s in the big 3 lifts but met my 2017 goals for both squat and deadlift…apparently I was a little conservative on my goals!

Weeks like these really remind you why you go into the gym 3+ times a week and bust your ass. My 555/565PR for deadlit has been stuck there since APRIL! 8 months of no progress, until everything comes together, your weaknesses are addressed, and you smash it.

That, to me, reinforces the fact that hard work and consistency are two of the most important variables when it comes to training.

4 Likes