T Nation

Manual Transmission

Why are Men so impressed with Women who drive manual transmission vehicles?

Last night, I gave my client a ride home after realizing his car was towed. He got in my car and he nodded up and down with a little smirk and said " You drive a stick, impressive". I asked what was so impressive about it and he said, its hard to explain. Not wanting to blow my hour-long sale meeting, I didn’t push for an answer. Which takes me to my fellow T-members, would anyone like to shed some light on this?

Anna

I would be impressed, because I don’t drive stick. Need to trade my car in one day.

That would only really apply in North America,Anna.
In the rest of the world,manual gearboxes are in the vast majority and it’s the exception that a driver can’t use one.
But having said that,just take the guys comment as the backhanded complement that it is.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I think a lot of guys see women who can drive stick shift as being more “into” cars than auto-only women. I guess it also gives off the impression of being independent and that you like having control.

I don’t claim to be a shrink, but like most people I attempt to be one on the internetz.

I believe this falls under the heading “skills every man should have” so it is impressive to many for anyone, not just females. Too many people are scared of manuals IMO, I prefer them aside from the convenience.

Take it as a complement.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
I think a lot of guys see women who can drive stick shift as being more “into” cars than auto-only women. I guess it also gives off the impression of being independent and that you like having control.

I don’t claim to be a shrink, but like most people I attempt to be one on the internetz.[/quote]

Maybe the guy just doesn’t get out much, or perhaps Freud was right about men and phallic symbols.

Thanks for your input Guys.
I didn’t think it was big deal since that’s what I was taught to drive and have always liked having control of a vehicle especially on the highway. I can’t say how many accidents I’ve avoided with them, not to mention the extra few cents I’ve saved on gas :).

It impresses me because it is uncommon and it shows independence. It is also an example of real-world knowledge, and I think there is a trend between being able to drive a stick, and being a semi-intelligent person. It give the impression of being well-rounded.

Anybody can hop in a car and hit the gas, there is actually a learning curve with a stick.

[quote]Anna13 wrote:
I didn’t think it was big deal since that’s what I was taught to drive and have always liked having control of a vehicle especially on the highway. I can’t say how many accidents I’ve avoided with them, not to mention the extra few cents I’ve saved on gas :).
[/quote]

I hear you. I can’t stand driving an automatic, just because I don’t feel like I have the same amount of control over the vehicle. I can’t stand front wheel drive vehicles either, just because you don’t have as good a feel for the road as a rear-wheel drive. Front wheel drive (and AWD or 4WD) also gives a lot of people a false sense of security.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]tedro wrote:
Anna13 wrote:

I hear you. I can’t stand driving an automatic, just because I don’t feel like I have the same amount of control over the vehicle. I can’t stand front wheel drive vehicles either, just because you don’t have as good a feel for the road as a rear-wheel drive. Front wheel drive (and AWD or 4WD) also gives a lot of people a false sense of security.
[/quote]

While I do agree that real wheel drive is far better than fwd for control,the other side of the argument is that fwd is virtually idiot proof in that the understeer when overcooking a fwd,reacts to the most common impulse of your average driver,which is to lift off the gas.
Which we both know would be the totally wrong thing to do in a rwd.

So I’m kind of in favour of the fwd being the weapon of choice of the average driver,seeing as most driving that I see isn’t very good…

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:
While I do agree that real wheel drive is far better than fwd for control,the other side of the argument is that fwd is virtually idiot proof in that the understeer when overcooking a fwd,reacts to the most common impulse of your average driver,which is to lift off the gas.
Which we both know would be the totally wrong thing to do in a rwd.

So I’m kind of in favour of the fwd being the weapon of choice of the average driver,seeing as most driving that I see isn’t very good…[/quote]

You’re right, but only because the average driver doesn’t have a clue what they are doing. They also don’t know what to do during oversteer and typically slam the brakes while panicking.

The thing about understeer and fwd that bothers me is that it is hard to find that point where you start to plow, and a casual driver may feel like they have excellent traction, so they push it a little harder and all of the sudden they are shooting off in a straight line.

Give me my rwd and let me accelerate through the curve, I can feel it start to oversteer and make a small correction and I’m fine.

I guess it boils down to there is a false sense of security with fwd, but it is safer for the casual driver, until they start to take advantage of that security.

With rwd, it is much easier to gauge your traction, but if you are not cautious and don’t know what to do, you are going to get yourself in trouble.

I’m usually impressed if a woman can competently drive any car while NOT talking on a cell phone.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
tedro wrote:

…there is actually a learning curve with a stick.

This is exactly what I was talking about.[/quote]

yep, but it wouldn’t be nearly as impressive in the SMA forum :wink:

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I’m usually impressed if a woman can competently drive any car while NOT talking on a cell phone.[/quote]

Another good reason why everybody should drive a stick. It can be quite a hassle driving through a city with a stick and while talking on a cell phone, unless you really enjoy steering with your knee.

Don’t get me wrong,I LOVE rwd,it’s what I drive.
I’ve also thought for a long time that driving tests should be particular to the car you intend to drive (fwd,rwd,awd),and that for safety reasons,each type should have its own particular sections related to how that particular traction system behaves under duress.
But I digress…

Because most women can’t drive a stick and refuse to learn so if you see one that can it’s kind of cool. Especially if you are a car person.