For sure man, there are certain core principles over time that I personally believe are important.
- Work hard
- Eat well (lots of good nutrition vs just lots of food)
- Start Light
- Pick a few exercises and hit them hard
- Lots of core and back work
- Change ONE thing at a time (I believe this even though I don’t follow it lol)
- Squat, Hinge, Pull, Core, Push, Lunge/Carry
- Basics will get you 80%-90% of the way there
I think that’s why it’s good to periodize. I do this unknowingly. I’ll go a few weeks of 5’s or 3’s with really only BW movements as assistance, and then I’ll go a few weeks of 8’s or 10’s with more DB or other bb movements as assistance. Seems to balance out over time.
But yeah man that’s why I’ve never pursued “I want to look this way” goals. I like numbers. I figured from the beginning of my journey if i had a 400 squat/dl for reps, 300 bench for reps, 200 oh press for reps, and was able to do a shit ton of rows and chin-ups I would like my physique. I never had a weight goal in mind, it was more so just eat well and whereever your weight ends up it’ll end up.