Manual Labor

Well that explains why your back looks like that!

I wish I could say I voluneered to help my aunt out of the goodness of my heart, but I really was using it for the exercise.lol.

[quote]supermick wrote:
Shitty pay.
[/quote]

Not here. Most guys here have under the table jobs on weekends. That’s on top of the 20$+ an hour pay. No wonder they all drive big 4*4s.

No disrespect in any way. There’s always strong demand for guys who can build things and are good at it.

Just an example: Those mods on my truck will cost a thousand more. Bah. 2 weekends and it’s paid. Go for it.

[quote]supermick wrote:
This could easily turn into a pissing contest but not much compares to moving meters squared of concrete by hand per day.
Maybe heavy steel work (RSJ, heavy concrete lintels) might come close.[/quote]

We measure concrete in yds., and the best I’ve done was 11 cubic yards in one day. Luckily, they all made it in to the forms.

That was a rough day.

[quote]duece wrote:
dancar wrote:

Do any other of you desk-workers find something manfully satisfying about working with your hands for a day or two?

I’m not sure what ‘manfully satisfying’ means but it doesn’t sound like something I want to be a part of.[/quote]

Me either, but it probably has something to do with how “(skilled laborors at a local shipyard) felt mike”, whoever Mike is…

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
supermick wrote:
This could easily turn into a pissing contest but not much compares to moving meters squared of concrete by hand per day.
Maybe heavy steel work (RSJ, heavy concrete lintels) might come close.

We measure concrete in yds., and the best I’ve done was 11 cubic yards in one day. Luckily, they all made it in to the forms.

That was a rough day.
[/quote]

Dont know the yards to metre conversion but I shovelled 7 cubic metres of concrete in the pouring rain recentley, bleedin hard work. Not bad for a day every now and then but Im glad when we can just pour the stuff staight from the wagon!

As for the pay Mick, don’t know what its like where you are but tradesmen are doing really well here in Yorkshire. Good Plumbers and Sparkies are earning ?200+ a day and the brickies can make ?1000 a week if they’re fast.

Whats the hardest days work anyones had to do? Concreteing is truly hard graft but a walk in the park compared to the tomatoe and grape picking I did in Oz. $80 for 10 hours in 100 degree heat, bent double and sweating between 10-20 pints of fluid a day, hell on earth.

[quote]supermick wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
I know exactly what you mean.

Nothing big but I hung a new light fixture for my GF with out getting electocuted.

Also I stuck my hand in the garbage disposal and fixed a jam with out loosing any fingers.

Total rush.

Awhile back I volunteered to help my aunt with some land scaping and moved a good 600lbs of hard packed earth by hand. Now thats a fucking work out.

Maybe heavy steel work (RSJ, heavy concrete lintels) might come close.[/quote]

Dude, i mean no harm… but
Never , ever stick your hand in a garbage disposal.

Losing fingers is a nasty way to “get a rush”

lol, well it was turned off. Perhaps though it would be smart to unplug it as well next time. lol