Manorexic No More... My Journey

[quote]BuckeyeGirl01 wrote:

With the exception of an inch on the biceps and several inches on the waist, your measurements are all smaller than mine!!! For reference, I am a 5’1" female who wears a size 4.

quote]

thats hot.

Okay, I don’t think I’ve ever replied to anyone’s pictures/stats before, but I can’t help it here…

With the exception of an inch on the biceps and several inches on the waist, your measurements are all smaller than mine!!! For reference, I am a 5’1" female who wears a size 4.

I’m really not trying to be harsh, but seriously- think about this and ask yourself if you need to be cutting any time soon![/quote]

Ya know what? I’m not surprised. Genetically, I’m a skinny guy. Hell, I weighed 130 lbs in high school. Did I hate it? Yes. Did I try lifting? Yes. Did it get me anywhere? Not even a little, with my metabolism back then, and my lack of serious knowledge.

I can’t change what I was. I can change what I will be.

And I’ve only been doing this a few months. I can’t outgain you instantly. But rest assured, I’ll be working my ass off until I do!

Motivation noted, along with several other million motivations.

But you know what motivates me more than anything else? It’s the fact that I stepped in the gym a few months ago, and for the first time in my life, actually saw changes, gains! That fired me up. I CAN change! That’s when I dug into this stuff big time.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You are one of those kinds of people who will mistake one of those “great job” remarks and run with it thinking you are actually doing a great job.[/quote]

You continue to underestimate me. Why do you assume I am “one of those people”? Probably because you’re just using your experience with others to figure out me.

I am not one of those people. I think I have done a good job recently. But there’s no slacking off yet, I still have a helluva lot more work to do.

Well, I’m 19 and you’re in grad school so…

JMB

[quote]Massif wrote:
BuckeyeGirl01 wrote:
Okay, I don’t think I’ve ever replied to anyone’s pictures/stats before, but I can’t help it here…

I’m really not trying to be harsh, but seriously- think about this and ask yourself if you need to be cutting any time soon!

AAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sonny, you just got OWNED!!!

Use this as motivation and start training hard and eating properly. [/quote]

Yes, I got burned.

But, um, I AM training hard and eating properly (ok, I’m still working out how to add EVEN MORE calories during the work day). Starting is already in the past.

Thanks for the kind note, though. :wink:

[quote]JMB wrote:
Well, I’m 19 and you’re in grad school so…

JMB[/quote]

Okay, now I feel ancient. :o)

[quote]michaelv wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Next point. Who the hell spends the entire month of April concentrating on abs while only “maintianing” their other lifts? I’ll tell you who - spastics. For the love of God, please go and find a mass building program by CW or CT and do it like a mad man for twelve months. Then think about cutting if you weigh more than 200lbs.

I know it’s hard to grasp, and I know it’s not even really popular, because this is a muscle-building forum. But, I have other priorities during the summer.

Building will be very high, but racing comes first.

But, I’ll also seriously take your advice and skip the abs thing, and just cruise on CW/CT until May 1.

Here’s my challenge to you, then. If I bulk until May 1st, I’ll set a goal of 190 total body weight. How much do you (ProfX) want to bet I won’t make it?
[/quote]

Actually, Michealv, I said that. My point is this. If you go to the gym and do 3 full body workouts a week, you will still increase muscle mass. These workouts should only take you about 45 mins each to do if you don’t muck about. Have a look at the workouts that Shugart is doing now if time is going to be a factor. Time is not an excuse.

You had already written off April as “I won’t build any muscle” month. You were then going to be spending May and June cutting, building strength and trying to seriously increase your endurance. How the hell did you intend on doing that all in one month?

I seriously doubt that you would build enough mass going balls to the wall for you to need to buy a new racing suit for Summer. Don’t even worry about it until it becomes a factor. If you do get too big, THEN make a decision. Not training properly because you might get
too big is crap.

Seriously, revisit your training schedule.

Screw ancient Buckeye, you’re damn fine [even for someone from OSU ;)]

I assumed the 01 was your year at Ohio State. If so, you’re not that old. If it was your PhD year…you still look better than current undergraduates. And this flagrantly skinny-fat man. Who I am still pissed at for taking up top 10 space to defend being small for a whole week of my life which I will never get back. Well, good luck to him at any rate.

Michaelv, I’m not sure what kind off growth you had in the past, but unless your clothes are barely fitting you know, I doubt you have that much to worry about. Seriously, on a 6’ frame, 5 pounds of LBM will hardly make a difference (you should still fit in your clothes).

Follow berardi’s suggestions and you can probably not even put on much fat. What troubles me is what you think your caloric needs are. I used berardi’s massive eating 1 to figure out your needs. Bro, assuming you do nothing but light office work, no cardio, and work out 1 hour a day, you need +3700 cals just for maintenance. My favorite way of getting my cals up is now natural peanut butter. 100 cals per tbls, I just add one or two to each shake, and I can easily get in an extra 500 cals a day. I could do 1000 extra, if I really wanted. While you do this, you’ll be giving yourself a little extra protein and some EFAs. Just keep the peanut butter away from carbs.

How does that feel? You can improve your gains by just making your shakes more delicious. Note, it has to be natural peanut butter. That is, the ingredients should read like so: peanuts. Hope this helps. And if I made any mistakes, rip me a new one, boys.

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
I assumed the 01 was your year at Ohio
State.[/quote]

Good call. Who knows when the PhD year will actually be… :o)

[quote]michaelv wrote:
As much as I respect you, your expectations are unrealistic if you expect me 1) to have gotten serious about bodybuilding before I even stepped in the gym – I started when I started; that’s my starting point – 2) if you expect me to have known I needed to start on Waterbury Method and massive eating the minute I stepped in the gym, and 3) if you expect me to start Waterbury Method and massive eating the first day I read an article on this site.[/quote]

I don’t even know what you’re talking about. You need to learn who wrote what because I never mentioned any specific routine you should follow.

…for two months until you start “maintaining”. I don’t know why you think I’m so clueless on this.

[quote]
Although we disagree on some points, I think your advice is sound. Especially if someone wants to build first priority (which I will in the racing off-season). I will take this advice with one modification: I will not concentrate on massive building during the summer. I will still be hitting the weights hard, but I will not be massive eating. I will resumve massive eating in the fall.[/quote]

This is what I don’t understand and what everyone is focusing in on. WHY would you “maintain”, or better yet, stagnate on purpose for 3+ months when you are a beginner? You honestly think you are at risk of putting on so much muscle mass that none of your clothes will fit? Let me ask you, because I ride a motorcycle as well, did you buy these leathers before or after you lost all of this weight?

I keep wondering, with regard to “transformation”-type pictures…why do people post their before pics alone? I mean, look at someone like Jana, for example, who posted the befores and the afters TOGETHER, and got a well-deserved positive response. There are many others who have done this, and it’s impressive and inspirational to see that people have actually made some serious changes to their physiques.

Lately, though, it seems like there are an awful lot of before pics that aren’t followed by any afters. Or, befores that are like “never touched a weight in my life” befores. There are plenty of sites where people will tell you that your below-average before pics look great, that you’re “off to a good start” or “have a good base to work from,” but I don’t think this is one of them. If you really need that kind of an ego-boost just to start a lifting program then…well, I don’t know what to say to that.

I really would hate for this to be a slam. But I really do not understand how you can say you are training hard as hell and all this shit. You may want to try CW’s TBT program, which is based for hypertrophy gains. I really dont understand why you are not gaining any muscle. And you dont need to be even considering cutting down, that seems to be the least of your problems. Unless you are shooting for that lankey look. Also timing in many situations is crutial when eating spacific food in concern of macronutrition(Protein/Fats/Carbs). And breakfast and PWO consumption are expecially important. You might just check out a good high quality protein like Grow! to help fuel and restore your muscles after a high intensity workout or just to give your DV that extra bump in protein which will be your basic building block. Other than eating a ton of calories this will be your best bet.
Just my two cents.

I keep wondering, with regard to “transformation”-type pictures…why do people post their before pics alone? I mean, look at someone like Jana, for example, who posted the befores and the afters TOGETHER, and got a well-deserved positive response. There are many others who have done this, and it’s impressive and inspirational to see that people have actually made some serious changes to their physiques.

Lately, though, it seems like there are an awful lot of before pics that aren’t followed by any afters. Or, befores that are like “never touched a weight in my life” befores. There are plenty of sites where people will tell you that your below-average before pics look great, that you’re “off to a good start” or “have a good base to work from,” but I don’t think this is one of them. If you really need that kind of an ego-boost just to start a lifting program then…well, I don’t know what to say to that.[/quote]

I have brought up that same issue before. Instead, all they get are a dozen “good job” posts and then we never hear from these people again. I will never understand why someone would post a picture of themselves before they ever get serious about bodybuilding without an after picture. They go even further by asking for a CRITIQUE. For future posters, there is nothing to critique if you just started lifting. Take pics of yourself all you want to, but unless you are about to show some progress pics, what is the point? All anyone can say is, “eat more, lift heavy”. I just don’t get it.

Not to step on any toes in the flirting but…
Holy moley, It’s been killing me not to ask. Buckeyegirl01 is that your stuff there in the avatar? Every time I see that I lose my train of thought and just go dumb for a while.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
Buckeyegirl01 is that your stuff there in the avatar? [/quote]

Yes, it’s me. Thanks for the compliment! I’ve been working on some improvements, so hopefully sometime soon I’ll be able to take new pictures. :o)

mindeffer01 wrote:
Buckeyegirl01 is that your stuff there in the avatar?

Yes, it’s me. Thanks for the compliment! I’ve been working on some improvements, so hopefully sometime soon I’ll be able to take new pictures. :o)[/quote]

See, class. These are pictures we want to see. If you can improve on that, Lord help us.

Michaelv, if you’re not GORGING yourself right now while thinking about what Buckeye Girl said, there must be some wiring loose up there.

Couple years ago that might have been true for me. Gave me shivers.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
This is what I don’t understand and what everyone is focusing in on. WHY would you “maintain”, or better yet, stagnate on purpose for 3+ months when you are a beginner? You honestly think you are at risk of putting on so much muscle mass that none of your clothes will fit? Let me ask you, because I ride a motorcycle as well, did you buy these leathers before or after you lost all of this weight?
[/quote]

Maybe it’s terminology. By “maintain” I am referring primarily to diet, not weight work.

If I continue to eat 4000+ calories a day all through the summer, yes, I am quite certain my clothes will no longer fit.

I won’t stop my work in the gym, but I will reduce my food intake to a more “normal” level in May.

Did I buy my leathers before I started getting serious about gaining? That’s not really relevant. On my current plan (180ish, then a little fat removal) it should fit perfectly by spring. If it matters, yes, I got a killer deal on something that was just slightly too big, with the expectation that I would grow into it.

It’s not relevant because if I hit 180ish and then cut a little fat, it will fit fine. If I continue to eat massively all summer long and go over 200, then no, it probably won’t fit. And if I continue to eat massively for twelve full months, which sounds like what you’re proposing, I will go well over 200 pounds.

What is the point of consternation? That I don’t want to eat myself big during the summer? Because, I mean, I’ve already established that I’ll be in the gym working hard. And I’m going to gain some size even with “normal” eating. It will just slow down a bit. Plus there will be more endurance conditioning, which will compromise pure hypertrophy.

Which brings me back to the word “maintain”. I absolutely won’t be letting muscle atrophy during this period. At worst I’ll gain really slowly. If that appears compromised, I’ll eat more.