Manorexia

They come up with politically correct names for everything these days, don’t they?

The first gym I ever belonged to was a hardcore bodybuilding/powerlifting gym. Everyone that trained there had the same goal which was to be the biggest, strongest, most massive SOB around. That was the mentality of all of the gym members. It didn’t matter if you were a beginner or an advanced individual that was already a member of the ultimate hugeness club. The point was to go all the way with it. Train to be a monstrous freak at whatever discipline you chose.

I completely understand that people have different goals and thats great. But why even bother training or coming to this site if your physique goal is to be average? Do some pushups, take some some spinning classes and you’ll be fine.

I usually don’t post too often or on these types of threads but when I first started reading T-mag the slogans were “dangerously hardcore” and “muscle with attitude.” What happened?

Sorry for the rant everyone. It’s just that T-mag was the last piece of hardcore training atmosphere I had left. My gym decided to appeal to the masses some time ago thus destroying the intense atmosphere and I just can’t believe the change in attitude around here.

Oh well, I know when I’m defeated. Back to my home gym and my reclusive, lurking tactics.

Take care everyone.

I think I may change my screen name from Built Big to Badly Betrayed.

jesus, the whole idea that “chicks dig skinny, pop-star dudes” is so goddman overdone on this website lately.

I agree with prof.X. Who are these women you are speaking of?

I getting tired of all the goddamn whining already.

In the immortal words of Dave Tate:
“GFH”

Anvil-San

I wanna get soo large they have to grease the doors so I can get into the room sideways.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
michaelv wrote:

The point of my meandering story? I won’t give up thin. I just look too damn good in clothes. But I have already started building a chest, find lats muscles I didn’t even know I had, discovered biceps, and am working on the rest.

But I have no desire to look like a power lifter or even competition bodybuilder. I want “just enough” muscle, not a lot more.

My goal is to be well defined with some meat on me, without becoming “big”.

So far, so good.

Why are you on this site? Honestly. You think the skinnier you are, the better you look in clothes? What kind of clothes are you wearing? Not that everyone needs to look like a competitive bodybuilder, but you don’t think broad shoulders, a smaller waist and a decent chest look good in clothing? Girls just hate that, huh?

For the record, I have never seen a woman run up and start feeling on a skinny dude’s arms or rubbing on his chest. Things like that happen when your body fills out the clothes you are in. Reading your post, I almost forgot what forum I was on. Are some guys in pink polyester about to show up at my house and show me an eye for fashion? If so, let me grab my rifle.[/quote]

You’re putting words in my mouth. I didn’t say that. In fact, I said the opposite of that.

The skinnier I am the better I look? No, I explicitly said I’m trying to get bigger. “Big enough”.

I agree there’s such a thing as too skinny. Why do you think I’m working out? As I said, I’m manorexic by genetics, not by choice. But I also don’t want muscles squeezing out of every opening. I don’t want arms so big that I can’t wear a fitted dress shirt. I definitely don’t want to “be so big they have to grease the doorway for me to get through sideways”. I want to just fit in trim fitted clothing.

So why am I here where people seem to want to look like Japanese anime caricatures of actual humans? Because this site has the best info I have found so far on body building, nutrition, etc.

And, as I said, I AM a skinny bastard, by genetics. And putting muscle on that frame isn’t easy.

[quote]Built Big wrote:
I completely understand that people have different goals and thats great. But why even bother training or coming to this site if your physique goal is to be average? Do some pushups, take some some spinning classes and you’ll be fine.
[/quote]

Who said “not hyooge” is average? Why can’t someone have some really meaty cut muscle without going overboard?

I guarantee you a 6’ 175lb guy with 10% bodyfat, who has been working on some quality muscle, does not look “average”. Of course, average is a low bar to hurdle, unfortunately, but the point remains…

[quote]michaelv wrote:
Who said “not hyooge” is average? Why can’t someone have some really meaty cut muscle without going overboard?

I guarantee you a 6’ 175lb guy with 10% bodyfat, who has been working on some quality muscle, does not look “average”. Of course, average is a low bar to hurdle, unfortunately, but the point remains…[/quote]

What exactly is “some really meaty cut muscle” ?

I want to be HUGE that is why I read this site everyday. My ultimate goal is to be at about 210lb lean at 5’8. I got the 5’8 part down! Now I need to gain about 35 lbs of muscle and shed some lard.

My wife was one of those I dont like big muscle type people too until I started working out now her eyes pop out when I get nekid!

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
michaelv wrote:

I guarantee you a 6’ 175lb guy with 10% bodyfat, who has been working on some quality muscle, does not look “average”. Of course, average is a low bar to hurdle, unfortunately, but the point remains…

What exactly is “some really meaty cut muscle” ?[/quote]

Isn’t that relative (that’s a rhetorical question)? We all have our goals and desired body image. To pigeon-hole the T-mag audience into one “Type” is just plain ridiculous. This site is about fitness, nutrition and an open exchange of information to allow people to attain the body that they desire. Not everyone wants to walk through a door sideways.

I’m not sure where some of you got the idea that you shouldn’t frequent T-mag unless you aspire to be a lump of walking muscle. That “muscle head” mentality is shallow and short-sighted.

And for you young guys that think women have a “type”, you’ll drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. You put ten women in a room and I can almost guarantee that every one of them will like something different… BELIEVE THIS: I can’t tell you how many of my wife’s single friends laugh at the overly devleoped “Juice-heads”.

Do whatever you do in the gym and get the results (powerlifting, bodybuilding, or whatever) you want for yourself, not so more women will like you. Some women will like your look and some won’t.

I’ll take strong as fuck at a comfortable bodyweight. Somebody doesn’t like the way I look thats their problem.

I gotta agree with hfrogs. I’m for strong but at a comfortable weight and agile. My chosen athletic pursuits require a combination of strength, endurance, technique, etc. Therefore, I like T-mag for the articles dealing with strength development, recovery and nutrition. (Not to mention the supps rule.) Is that so wrong?

I certainly respect folks that are here to get “hyooge”, it just doesn’t gell well with what I do in my spare time. I do see your point in asking “why are you here” for some of the trolls…er, posters, but others of us that aren’t in it for the BB aspect belong as well. At least IMO.

Matthew

[quote]gnostic228 wrote:

Isn’t that relative (that’s a rhetorical question)? We all have our goals and desired body image. To pigeon-hole the T-mag audience into one “Type” is just plain ridiculous. This site is about fitness, nutrition and an open exchange of information to allow people to attain the body that they desire. Not everyone wants to walk through a door sideways.

I’m not sure where some of you got the idea that you shouldn’t frequent T-mag unless you aspire to be a lump of walking muscle. That “muscle head” mentality is shallow and short-sighted.

[/quote]

Unless they’ve changed the meaning of ‘bodybuilding’, this sight is dedicated to just that, building muscle.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Unless they’ve changed the meaning of ‘bodybuilding’, this sight is dedicated to just that, building muscle.
[/quote]

Please, try to be more vague.

Building muscle? Without limit? That sounds like a tumor to me. Correct me if I’m wrong. Try to convince me that the majority of the people who are here are here to add muscle infinitely until they die.

Goals, my boy, goals. Guess what? I’m here to build muscle. 'Nuff said.

My point is that the new influx of ‘manorexics’ are trying to change what this site is about.

Bodybulding is not about putting on ‘just enough’ muscle. It’s about building slabs of it. Hyooge, enormous slabs of muscle. Not just enough to fill out your Abercrombie metrosexual outfit.

It’s about bodybuilding. If you don’t know what that is, or what it represents, then maybe all the manorexics should take their opinions, and go start their own forum.

[quote]michaelv wrote:

[/quote]

Because mike, most of the muscle heads on this site don’t want to admit the FACT that women prefer trimly built men like the athletic/surfer/tyler durden types.

They know its true but after years of putting on unnecessary muscle/work in the gym they refuse to make changes. Stubborn people mike dont bother trying to change em.

Mike Im with you. My build is the trim look with some solid muscle, like Lenny Kravitz or your regular surfer guy down the street. The girls go nutts for this look - its there favorite and dont let the muscle heads tell you any different - there to stubborn to change there views anyways.

Your nutts. This site is for being healthy number one and looking good naked number two. Those are the two reasons, and the latter more so, that every man has ever picked up a barbell or ever ate a can of tuna fish for.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
You’re putting words in my mouth. I didn’t say that. In fact, I said the opposite of that.

The skinnier I am the better I look? No, I explicitly said I’m trying to get bigger. “Big enough”.

I agree there’s such a thing as too skinny. Why do you think I’m working out? As I said, I’m manorexic by genetics, not by choice. But I also don’t want muscles squeezing out of every opening. I don’t want arms so big that I can’t wear a fitted dress shirt. I definitely don’t want to “be so big they have to grease the doorway for me to get through sideways”. I want to just fit in trim fitted clothing.

So why am I here where people seem to want to look like Japanese anime caricatures of actual humans? Because this site has the best info I have found so far on body building, nutrition, etc.

And, as I said, I AM a skinny bastard, by genetics. And putting muscle on that frame isn’t easy.[/quote]

I spend as much time in Express, Abercrombie, Armani Exchange et. al., as a man half my size and twice my income. I make those clothes look good, not the other way around. Let me tell you, the threshold for not getting into a dress shirt is high. I have been chasing it for some time.

As has been said to many an owner of the Orlando Bloom physique before, the idea of not getting “too big” concedes defeat before you begin. You wouldn’t need a site as comprehensive as this one if size were easy to gain. Personally, to ensure satisfying results I have to work out hard enough to see stars. It’s a simple training precept that overload is what creates hypertrophy, so an aversion to overload is not going to do you any good. Untrained life is moderation, so why would you try to work out in moderation?

P.S. I would encourage ProfX to try a pink shirt out for size. Anyone else over 200 want to second the idea?

[quote]Velvet Revolver wrote:

Your nutts. This site is for being healthy number one and looking good naked number two. Those are the two reasons, and the latter more so, that every man has ever picked up a barbell or ever ate a can of tuna fish for. [/quote]

The motto of this site is “Bodybuilding’s Thinktank”. Pick up an old t-mag - the print version. read it. No where between it’s covers does it EVER mention looking like a fucking metrosexual. It’s about iron. Lifting more iron than you did yesterday.

Getting stronger and getting bigger. That’s what this site is about. And there’s absolutely nothing ‘nutts’ about that.

What is totally fucked up are all the boy-band wannabees who come on here and think that being 5’10" and 165 is a decent look.

[quote]Velvet Revolver wrote:
women prefer trimly built men like the athletic/surfer/tyler durden types…

My build is the trim look with some solid muscle, like Lenny Kravitz or your regular surfer guy down the street. The girls go nutts for this look.
[/quote]

Please don’t characterize all women this way. Perhaps teenage girls do prefer this look, but not everyone does. Some women (like myself) are actually quite impressed with a guy who puts a great deal of effort into his body and has some muscle to show for it. I realize I’m only one woman, but I’d be quite turned off by a guy who told me he works out but doesn’t want to get too big.

[quote]hfrogs00 wrote:
Do whatever you do in the gym and get the results (powerlifting, bodybuilding, or whatever) you want for yourself, not so more women will like you. Some women will like your look and some won’t.

[/quote]

True dat.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
The motto of this site is “Bodybuilding’s Thinktank”. Pick up an old Tt-Mag - the print version. read it. No where between it’s covers does it EVER mention looking like a fucking metrosexual. It’s about iron. Lifting more iron than you did yesterday.

Getting stronger and getting bigger. That’s what this site is about. And there’s absolutely nothing ‘nutts’ about that.

What is totally fucked up are all the boy-band wannabees who come on here and think that being 5’10" and 165 is a decent look.
[/quote]

Well said.